I’m so confused

Paul41

A few years ago I had the warning that I was pre diabetic. I stopped drink beer completely and cut down on food in general and job done.
Roll forward a few years and of course I got back into bad ways. Now I’m 65 with pre diabetes, raised cholesterol and hypertension ( this is in control with meds) .
I know I’ve got to make some changes but I go round in circles as to what to eat! Do I eat low carb ? Do I count calories? Do I try a VLCD?
Help !

Reactions: Secret Squirrel

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Paul, do you have weight to lose.
Reduce the Carbohydrates and increase gentle exercise, that should sort out, or at least greatly improve all your various complaints.
Eat low carb, as much as you need to not feel hungry, don't count calories. Avoid snacking.
If you buy a meter and strips, by testing your blood levels immediately before the first bite, and 2 hours after. Aiming for a rise of less than 2 mmol, this will allow you to work out which foods YOUR body can't handle. Very quickly you will have a list of good and bad foods. Base all your meals on the good stuff, and bob's your uncle.
For meal and food ideas, try googling any foods, and adding Keto, this will bring up a plethora of ideas to try.
Above all else, as pre diabetic it's not too drastic, and you may find only small restrictions are sufficient to put you back in a good place, ie a normal meal with half the carbs, you used to have. Remember to increase the protein and fat in the meal to compensate for the reduced carb content.
Have a mooch around the site and read all the various what i have eaten threads, to see what others find works for THEM, some will work for for you some wont.

Paul41

Hi Paul, do you have weight to lose.
Reduce the Carbohydrates and increase gentle exercise, that should sort out, or at least greatly improve all your various complaints.
Eat low carb, as much as you need to not feel hungry, don't count calories. Avoid snacking.
If you buy a meter and strips, by testing your blood levels immediately before the first bite, and 2 hours after. Aiming for a rise of less than 2 mmol, this will allow you to work out which foods YOUR body can't handle. Very quickly you will have a list of good and bad foods. Base all your meals on the good stuff, and bob's your uncle.
For meal and food ideas, try googling any foods, and adding Keto, this will bring up a plethora of ideas to try.
Above all else, as pre diabetic it's not too drastic, and you may find only small restrictions are sufficient to put you back in a good place, ie a normal meal with half the carbs, you used to have. Remember to increase the protein and fat in the meal to compensate for the reduced carb content.
Have a mooch around the site and read all the various what i have eaten threads, to see what others find works for THEM, some will work for for you some wont.

Thanks.

Yes I’ve some weight to lose but I’m also relatively active. I walk the dog multiple times a day, I think I’ll also go out alone for a long walk, I can walk a better pace alone.

I think the confusion in my mind is as I see it the contradiction in diet for Pre diabetes and cholesterol. I’ve made adjustments which means I’m eating less and presumably losing weight which must help all round.

Just trying to come to terms with “this” !

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The problem with cholesterol, is do you believe the science, or the pharmaceutical companies via the doctors.
Our bodies produce most of the Cholesterol it NEEDS. Statins restrict the production from the liver. this impacts muscle and tissue repair, hence aching legs etc, 30% of the brain IS cholesterol, this probably explains the wooly thinking that occurs. it also is used to make many hormones, so deficiencies are likely.
The dog walkings great.

Reactions: Secret Squirrel

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks.

Yes I’ve some weight to lose but I’m also relatively active. I walk the dog multiple times a day, I think I’ll also go out alone for a long walk, I can walk a better pace alone.

I think the confusion in my mind is as I see it the contradiction in diet for Pre diabetes and cholesterol. I’ve made adjustments which means I’m eating less and presumably losing weight which must help all round.

Just trying to come to terms with “this” !
The low carb approach almost always improves HDL and triglycerides and ratio for cholesterol even whilst contradicting the low fat guidance usually given. LDL is more variable but that too can be broken down into different types not all,of which are bad. The nhs almost never does this more extensive testing though so it all gets classed as bad. Carbs in type 2 seem to cause the inflammation that raises cholesterol.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A few years ago I had the warning that I was pre diabetic. I stopped drink beer completely and cut down on food in general and job done.
Roll forward a few years and of course I got back into bad ways. Now I’m 65 with pre diabetes, raised cholesterol and hypertension ( this is in control with meds) .
I know I’ve got to make some changes but I go round in circles as to what to eat! Do I eat low carb ? Do I count calories? Do I try a VLCD?
Help !
If you go low carb, watch out for being over medicated for hypertension.
Several people had falls - reported on the low carb forum I'm on, after eating low carb meant they no longer needed the medication and were going dizzy. One fall, on stairs, was life changing, so it is something to be taken seriously.

Reactions: Paul41

Paul41

If you go low carb, watch out for being over medicated for hypertension.
Several people had falls - reported on the low carb forum I'm on, after eating low carb meant they no longer needed the medication and were going dizzy. One fall, on stairs, was life changing, so it is something to be taken seriously.

Thanks .

Yes my current BP is usually less than 130 so I’ll be sure to watch out for things as they change .

geekesse

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I second the advice about hypertension meds. After losing weight, increasing exercise, and getting my blood sugar levels under control, I had a few quite scary episodes of almost losing consciousness. A quick check with my bp monitor showed that my bp dipped from 113/72 sitting to 99/76 as I stood up. After consulting the pharmacist, I dropped one of my bp meds, and have been fine since. BP is still in the ‘optimal’ range, but no more sudden drops.

Paul41

Thanks for the replies/ great advice!
It’s been a week and I’ve got busy with dealing with this.
I’ve joined the Low Carb Program.
I’ve also signed up with some seasons via the NHS.

Anyway I think I’ve adjusted my diet ( at least as a start) . I’ve given up all alcohol, I’ve not had a single potato nor have I had any sweet products or any snacks. I’ve been using the plate method which is just so logical ! A typical meal is health a plate of salad ( tomatoes, olives, spring onions, leaves) I might have a portion of fish or some cheese perhaps some hummus. I think my favourite ( still using the plate method) is a whole meal wrap with the above in.
Anyway for now I’m going to see how this goes and adjust as I go . Im keeping my eye on my BP as it’s possible they might go down . Im not monitoring my blood sugars as yet but I’ve brought a glucometer . I think I’ll give it a few weeks and then start to take readings etc.
Once again thanks for the advice !

Reactions: geekesse

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies/ great advice!
It’s been a week and I’ve got busy with dealing with this.
I’ve joined the Low Carb Program.
I’ve also signed up with some seasons via the NHS.

Anyway I think I’ve adjusted my diet ( at least as a start) . I’ve given up all alcohol, I’ve not had a single potato nor have I had any sweet products or any snacks. I’ve been using the plate method which is just so logical ! A typical meal is health a plate of salad ( tomatoes, olives, spring onions, leaves) I might have a portion of fish or some cheese perhaps some hummus. I think my favourite ( still using the plate method) is a whole meal wrap with the above in.
Anyway for now I’m going to see how this goes and adjust as I go . Im keeping my eye on my BP as it’s possible they might go down . Im not monitoring my blood sugars as yet but I’ve brought a glucometer . I think I’ll give it a few weeks and then start to take readings etc.
Once again thanks for the advice !
Hi Paul41

I'd recommend using the meter right away. You need to be able to assess which foods you can tolerate and which you can't. You may find that you establish what you think of as a good way of eating only to find that it's not actually doing your BG any good.

Just on what you've mentioned above the hummus and wholemeal wrap are particularly carb-rich sources: you may be able to tolerate them, or maybe not. Worth finding out, especially if you can't.

Best of luck.

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Paul41

I'd recommend using the meter right away. You need to be able to assess which foods you can tolerate and which you can't. You may find that you establish what you think of as a good way of eating only to find that it's not actually doing your BG any good.

Just on what you've mentioned above the hummus and wholemeal wrap are particularly carb-rich sources: you may be able to tolerate them, or maybe not. Worth finding out, especially if you can't.

Best of luck.

Good suggestion, I live on the meter. I am Pre and no meds. Personally I stay away from hummus,and all kind of beans .
Good luck

Robert HA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Help !
Hey Paul
I have the same problems... a really good place to start looking for answers is thru a guy named Jason Fung..a Toronto nephrologist... he has a diabetes remission clinic and his stuff works. another place to look is Roy Taylor in the UK and Dr David Unwin... look them all up on the net... there is lots of GOOD info... need more ?? reply here, i will be glad to assist

Reactions: Paul41 and filly