I am losing my hair

Ciel67

I have noticed that my hair is much more course than usual and have been treating it. I look on the floor after I comb my hair and there is a lot of hair on the floor. I am at a loss as to how do I save my hair. My GP says my blood sugar is poorly managed but I am a newly diagnosed diabetic and need some help. My blood sugars ranged from 23-30 all day every day.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What medication, if any, are you on, and what do you eat?

Any shock to your body can cause temporary hair loss, and I did find I lost a little more hair when I first went low carb but it settled down.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hair loss was the reason I went to the doctors for a blood test and then ended up getting diagnosed with diabetes. It should start to reduce when your blood sugars are more controlled. Look up telogen effluvium, this can happen when your body is under stress. It's usually temporary. I think mine took about 6 months. Perhaps mention it to the doctor as well as it can be a sign of other things like thyroid problems

jof1025

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hair loss was the reason I went to the doctors for a blood test and then ended up getting diagnosed with diabetes. It should start to reduce when your blood sugars are more controlled. Look up telogen effluvium, this can happen when your body is under stress. It's usually temporary. I think mine took about 6 months. Perhaps mention it to the doctor as well as it can be a sign of other things like thyroid problems[/
Hair loss was the reason I went to the doctors for a blood test and then ended up getting diagnosed with diabetes. It should start to reduce when your blood sugars are more controlled. Look up telogen effluvium, this can happen when your body is under stress. It's usually temporary. I think mine took about 6 months. Perhaps mention it to the doctor as well as it can be a sign of other things like thyroid problems
when hospitalised In February for having Covid, sepsis, dka, lung infection etc, my hair fell out in handfuls. There was so much I was stunned.
This has increased so much I have to brush my hair over the toilet as it gets everywhere.
I’ve had very long hair for many many years but have had to cut my hair short as it got so thin & scraggy & looked bad.
It’s now June & is still continues to shed. My dermatologist said she’s had other patients complaining of the same.
Has anyone else had the same & how long did it last?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have noticed that my hair is much more course than usual and have been treating it. I look on the floor after I comb my hair and there is a lot of hair on the floor. I am at a loss as to how do I save my hair. My GP says my blood sugar is poorly managed but I am a newly diagnosed diabetic and need some help. My blood sugars ranged from 23-30 all day every day.
The hair issue could well be related to the uncontrolled T2, but honestly, I'd worry more about your blood sugars being that high. If at any time you feel sick or disoriented, and your numbers are that high, call 111 and tell them you're newly diagnosed and feeling ill. Okay?

You say you need help, well... You've come to the right little corner of the internet for it! Do you know what type you are? Are you on insulin, metformin, gliclazide, any other medication fr diabetes or other conditions? (Meds for other issues can influence blood sugars too). Because you haven't mentioned what type of diabetes you have, and treatment varies wildly between types, and the replies'll depend on what type you are.

Can you tell us what you eat on an average day? Because practically all carbs turn to glucose once ingested, and with numbers that high, it kind of looks like all you eat is bread, cereal, spuds, fruit and the like... All of which are carby and very much not recommended for a T2, going from the assumption that you might be one. The EatWell plate doesn't apply, everything we always believed was healthy turns out not to be, for us anyway.... (And for quite a few people in general, really.). Have a read here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help some make changes in your diet if T2 is indeed the case. Begin testing before a meal, and 2 hours after the first bite. You're aiming for a rise of no more than 2.0 mmol/l, preferably less. Things you can safely eat? Meat, eggs, fish, poultry, cheese, above ground and/or leafy green veg, (pulses are iffy, but best avoided looking at your numbers), berries, full fat greek yoghurt, that sort of thing.

That's another reason to answer the what-do-you-eat-in-a-day question; Sometimes people are already low carb but are still seeing high numbers, which would then merit further testing whether they might be T1 or a variant thereof, rather than T2. (The tests aren't done automatically, if you're an adult the assumption is usually T2 until something goes wrong and T1/Mody/Lada crops up when further testing is done).

If we can help, let us know. And the hair issue can possibly resolve when your blood sugars are fixed. That's the hope, anyway.
Hugs,
Jo

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lost a lot of hair after diagnosis - maybe as much as half the volume with particular emphasis on the front of my scalp. Unfortunately it shows no sign of returning although the hair loss did reduce to normal rates after about 6 months.

I had blood tests for nutritional deficiencies and was disgustingly healthy on that front. So I suspect one or two things - I lost so much weight so quickly my body may have panicked and decided that maintaining hair was a non-essential. But in that case I would have expected to see regrow now and I do not. My new theory is that the massive dietary changes I made for diabetes upset my hormone balance and my hair loss is menopause-related, in which case it will not be coming back.

I don’t want to depress you but I see you are in your fifties so this could be the case for you, related or unrelated to diabetes.

Probably best to talk to a doctor and get some blood tests, and make sure they include hormonal tests as well as dietary deficiency testing.