1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I am NOT a diabetic ...

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by mattrix, Mar 10, 2021.

1. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Interesting to read different opinions on this.
    Sure some may be “thicker” or “thinner” skinned around their labels.
    On a thread like this, I am disappointed to see people still refer Tom”diabetics”.
    I don’t have a problem with someone writing that they don’t mind being called a diabetic but saying they will continue to call people with diabetes is disrespectful to those who have expressed a preference on this thread.

2. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Maybe I am unusual, but I would prefer to be called diabetic or a diabetic rather than a person with diabetes.

I dislike the term PWD and always have but until now I have never expressed that anywhere. I am slightly offended by the term PWD and it just seems cumbersome and unnecessary, after all I am obviously a person, that goes without saying, so why bother saying it? To me when you say 'person' that's a positive thing but when you add 'with diabetes', it's like saying I am a lesser person, not whole, not worthy to be called a person, so I am downgraded to PWD. 'A person Jim, but not as we know it.'

As for labels, to my mind 'with diabetes' is just as much a label as 'diabetic'.

I am a person. I am a diabetic. :)

Personal choice I guess.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    #42 zand, Mar 13, 2021 at 5:00 AM
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  3. KennyA

KennyA Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I am a diabetic.

• Like Like x 5
  4. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A valid point but there are quite a lot of active members on this forum it would be very difficult to recall and remember everyone’s preference

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I must live on another planet lol, I have never heard of or known of PWD in a diabetes context before, we live and learn.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When the disabled/disability thing comes up on forms, I usually write on them "I do not consider myself disabled, but I am covered by the disability discrimination act.

• Like Like x 2
    #46 lessci, Apr 6, 2021 at 4:54 PM
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  7. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Me: I'm a gal who likes running. That's how I see myself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. kevinfitzgerald

kevinfitzgerald Type 1 · Well-Known Member

And I'm a Cat Lover...... And... A Person that likes Cats.....

Or....

I'm a Diabetic Cat Lover..... And... I'm a Cat Lover who has Diabetes....

Just wanted to make sure I covered all my bases... If your a Person that Likes Dogs, I apologise

• Funny Funny x 6
  9. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I like 'em all, dogs, cats, goats, guinea pigs, and I'm pretty sure the cats and dogs in my household approve :)
    They also couldn't care less what I call myself, as long as I make sure there's enough room for everyone in my lap!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  10. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

If “diabetic” is offensive isn’t that because something negative is implied? So it’s about the offence and ignorance not the terminology? In which case it says more about the ignorance of the speaker than it does about the language chosen imo.

An ignorant/rude person could just as easily use “person with diabetes” and be just as offensive or ignorant and quite possibly more so than someone using diabetic, maybe even feeling morally superior because they are using the socially compliant terminology whilst meaning none it it. I’d rather someone was honest and blunt and willing to listen and understand than act morally superior with their linguistics and refuse to be educated.

Similar conversations are had in the autism community with regards to having autism or being autistic. Interestingly most people with that diagnosis prefer and own proudly autistic despite social/political correctness saying otherwise.

All that said if I am aware of an individuals preference I will endeavour to respect that (memory allowing) as I will not intentionally cause offence.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. kevinfitzgerald

kevinfitzgerald Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oooo a Mexican stand off....... Or....... A stand off which is Mexican!

• Funny Funny x 7
  12. fendertele

fendertele · Well-Known Member

Doesnt bother me in the slightest.

I have asthma and also get called an asthmatic much easier when doing sports for friends to explain im asthmatic to other teams.straight and to the point.. people then know to keep an eye out for me without going into a long story about it.

I have diabetes and also get called a diabetic which again you tell the waiter you're diabetic they know the score.. no need to go into anymore detail.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

When I say I am diabetic people know exactly what I am talking about, when I say I am Asthmatic likewise when I say I am a Myasthenic they generally do not have a clue. Other peoples perception of these terms is up to them and not my problem if they engage I try to educate them if not I ignore them as not worth my time.

I personally have no problem with any of these terms they are merely descriptive and a matter of semantics.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes · Well-Known Member

I am diabetic. I’m also very fat :)

...and I take 100% responsibility for both situations.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Bic

Bic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I totally agree: change the language! Personally, I loathe being called 'a diabetic', I detest hearing and reading about 'diabetes' instead of T1 or T2 (two-keystroke each, isn't that great?), and I am especially fond of language changes because they often mean a change in the way we think about something, and that leads to new findings, new framing, new insights, which are certainly all badly needed. I am especially hot about NOT calling diseases/conditions with the name of one of their symptoms, which is exactly what happens with diabetes. I mean: 60-something different diseases in the T2 class, and 15/30-something in the T1 group… (since 'type' in the medical sense actually means 'a group/class of pathologies)… and only one name – the name of a symptom, moreover! – to define so many different, often conflicting diseases? Not in the XXI century, please!
    And so much for my stand and my opinion.
    Of course, if other people don't feel or think the same, that's all perfectly right for me. I'm not trying to persuade anybody. I just claim that mattrix, and others, and I have the right to voice our views and feelings without being dismissed as thin skinned or oversensitive persons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  16. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I have decided to put those on this thread who don't like being called diabetic on my ignored list. I am doing this simply to remind me that PWD is the term preferred by these individuals. I will still read the posts, I am not in reality ignoring them, and I don't hold any ill will towards them, it's just an aide-memoire to help me remember not to unwittingly cause offence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When on holiday in Spain or Italy, trying to get some lower carb substitutes in a meal or ensuring I get the diet mixer in my drink, I have found "diabetico" is a magic word, generally understood and taken seriously. It might strictly speaking be a symptom, and of course there are lots of types, but who's Spanish or Italian would be up to "I am a person with latent autoimmune diabetes" or something similar and the waiter probably wouldn't understand anyway.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. You've got the right to take offence if I don't use your preferred descriptor but along with everyone else here I am a diabetic, am a PWD and (the worst) live with diabetes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

Never having ignored anyone on the forum I assumed this action made you invisible to each other. You live and learn.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe that the posts of the ‘ignored’ cannot be seen by the person doing the ignoring, but the ‘ignored’ can see the posts of the ignorer. The software will allow you to see the posts of anyone you ignore on a thread by thread basis.

• Informative Informative x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook