I ate a chip! and I made cookies!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Yes, I know, it’s me we are talking about.

We went out, had @ bite to eat. Partner wasn’t impressed by her chips so asked me to try one (first potato in 6 weeks) and yeah, awful. And it was grey! A grey chip, a bit like cardboard. Can safely say that it didn’t make me desire a big bowl of fries!

And then I made low carb cookies! Yes, me, who can’t follow a recipe to save his life. Watched a YouTube video which was confusing as they kept shifting the camera angle and the presenter was a very, overly enthusiastic American who talked very quickly, so I just threw stuff in a bowl, realised I had no idea what a “cup” size meant (and I dont think she was talking about bra size !?) so, experimented.

And then my partner joined in and confused me some more by giving me lots of strange implements to use. One of them was electric and whirred a bit too much for my liking!.

They could be sweeter but they are almond flour, vanilla extract, egg infused cookie shaped things..so I guess that’s a win ?

But boy oh boy is cooking confusing!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done! You sound more positive than you did earlier this week. If it’s any consolation I don’t understand cup sizes, I could show you several different cup sizes in my kitchen!
Enjoy your cookies! And stay away from the chips, they really aren’t worth it!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done! You sound more positive than you did earlier this week. If it’s any consolation I don’t understand cup sizes, I could show you several different cup sizes in my kitchen!
Enjoy your cookies! And stay away from the chips, they really aren’t worth it!
Eventually we found a Pyrex mug thing that had cup sizes on it so we used that but it didn’t look like the amount she used. Oh well.

I’m masking how I’m really feeling as it’s been a very tough week but just had half an hour of energy to expend on attempting something different.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
A lot of people use erythritol (sp?) to sweeten stuff like that, maybe play around with the amount you sweeten them till you like them and don't end up throwing them to the pigeons.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to confuse you more there are US cups, Australian cups metric cups and imperial cups.

There are loads of internet converters out there https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/cooking/cups-grams.php is just one that switch between cups and grams etc. It also depends on what food and how its chopped up so if going from cups to grams that needs to be considered. Eg one large broccoli florets will fill a cup with no room for a second. Unless you chop it up small then you’ll fit loads more in. Imo cups are stupid and inaccurate for baking and cooking for anything other than powders and flours.

Some sites allow you to switch to metric on the ingredients page. Eg ditchthecarbs.com.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A lot of people use erythritol (sp?) to sweeten stuff like that, maybe play around with the amount you sweeten them till you like them and don't end up throwing them to the pigeons.
Oh I’m eating them. They’re actually not too bad at all, crunchy outside and soft in th3 centre.

Yeah I’ve tried erith thingy, not my favourite at all so we just threw in a sweetener we had in the cupboard. The video used erith thingy as well. I just think our measurement was a bit low.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think it's wonderful you chose to use that half hour for making cookies!
Thank you.

It was a very dreary day and I thought that if I didn’t do it then I might not do it all, just put it off again. I get very rare interludes with minimal pain and a bit of energy so have to do it when I can.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Oh I’m eating them. They’re actually not too bad at all, crunchy outside and soft in th3 centre.

Yeah I’ve tried erith thingy, not my favourite at all so we just threw in a sweetener we had in the cupboard. The video used erith thingy as well. I just think our measurement was a bit low.

The muffins Ive made come out like that too. I like them straight out of the oven, crunchy outside and soft gooey center.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The muffins Ive made come out like that too. I like them straight out of the oven, crunchy outside and soft gooey center.
Oo stop. You’re driving me to the kitchen. Mine never manage to be both crunchy and gooey though. :(

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Eventually we found a Pyrex mug thing that had cup sizes on it so we used that but it didn’t look like the amount she used.
I'm not into US recipes for the same reason. I prefer my mesurements to be in grams, but if a recipe looks interesting I'll google it. For example https://www.google.com/search?q=11⁄....69i57j0l5.11838j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Well done for being so adventurous :)
And how much is a cup of grated cheese anyway? Wouldn't it depend on how compact it is? Not very precise.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was always a measure out carefully type, until I tried a few recipes which used cups. I would only ever use it for finely divided things, but it is so fast by comparison with weighing.
I picked up a set of little shovels, one cup, half cup, third and quarter, for a few pounds - in Lidl I think, and the results are repeatable too - I tap the shovel with the powder in it, to settle it down, then level off the top with a butter knife - being of a scientific mind.
Do watch out for sweetener, though, as recipes from those who eat sugar are often far too sweet for my taste, as the perception is blunted by them shovelling in sugar all the time. Adding as little artificial sweetener as possible is a good idea as you can then taste the other things in the recipe, assuming that you want to of course.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I tend to follow the principle of yes that looks about right then add a bit were measuring is concerned.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is great! A new adventure in the kitchen is always a challenge, and you conquered it. :D
I totally agree with you about over excited video presenters and fussy kitchen equipment.

I think this is the easiest keto cookie recipe I know, and the video is lovely and simple (just fast forward past the boring talking heads).

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was always a measure out carefully type, until I tried a few recipes which used cups. I would only ever use it for finely divided things, but it is so fast by comparison with weighing.
I picked up a set of little shovels, one cup, half cup, third and quarter, for a few pounds - in Lidl I think, and the results are repeatable too - I tap the shovel with the powder in it, to settle it down, then level off the top with a butter knife - being of a scientific mind.
Do watch out for sweetener, though, as recipes from those who eat sugar are often far too sweet for my taste, as the perception is blunted by them shovelling in sugar all the time. Adding as little artificial sweetener as possible is a good idea as you can then taste the other things in the recipe, assuming that you want to of course.
Well these aren’t very sweet. I can taste almond (the only nut I can cope with in any form) in the flour, I get vanilla and I get that vaguely baked taste.
For a first attempt I’d give myself a 7/10.
Next time I might throw in some unsweetened cocoa to see what that does.
Or try another recipe.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That is great! A new adventure in the kitchen is always a challenge, and you conquered it. :D
I totally agree with you about over excited video presenters and fussy kitchen equipment.

I think this is the easiest keto cookie recipe I know, and the video is lovely and simple (just fast forward past the boring talking heads).

I find 99.9% of all presenters, be they youtube or television, utterly banal. I can’t cope with the chatter for the sake of chatter.
And don’t get me started on sports commentators or pundits being paid vast sums to tell me stuff I can see with my own eyes!. Grrrrrrrrr!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Experiment and improve is the way to go.
Mentioned that to my partner, she waggled her eyebrows and moved towards the bedroom..

Ooer!