1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I can't stay awake

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Indiana91, Jun 27, 2014.

1. KkeithP

KkeithP · Member

Vitamin B12 can't be taken by tablet because the digestive system destroys it.

However, it can be purchased from places like Holland and Barrett in "sublingual" form, meaning you squirt a pipettes full under the tongue for 30 seconds every day and build up B12 levels.

2. gfmoore

gfmoore Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@KkeithP - nice explanation, thanks.

3. this is too difficult

this is too difficult Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would maybe Google that.

4. Scouser58

Scouser58 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I must look out for the sublingual form of B12, I have not noticed it in H&B, have you had your medication levels checked?, and had your thyroid checked, thats one for the drop in energy and nodding off. I think that when we are in a situation we don't know which way to turn for the best, watching bs levels, looking after the precious kidney, vital, and then trying to find the best plan of food, medication and feeling ok and with it,. I also stay away from the doctors as I find them un-interested and sometimes quick to give a script, even hospital doctors are not recalling back fast enough, for my liking.I must look up Vitamin K, as it too can help the body, I know it is found in strawberries, but uses have been forgotton, google job for me.When you have a hot drink, have tried the fruit teas in place of ordinary tea and coffee?. You being a type 1 it is so much more vital to be selective in your foods etc. Please keep telling us your progress for noe ttfn

5. Adamspillman

Adamspillman · Active Member

I'm always tired dunt matter what I do bloods good low carb I have to drink coffee to stay awake in the day lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

6. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

You will only get jabs if your levels are really low. Under 170 if I remember rightly. The needles seem to be huge and painful when they were given to me.

Personally there are good B12 tablets available if you are over 170.

Loving life

7. DiaBethic95

DiaBethic95 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It could be your thyroid.
    I used to sleep all the time too so I went for a blood test and I have hypothyroidism, it's fairly common with diabetics apparently!
    And you only have to take a tablet in the morning everyday and you're sorted!
    I think a trip to the doctors is in order for you!

Beth, Type 1 diabetic.
    Or as my family call me 'Diabethic'

8. rijohnston

rijohnston Type 1 · Member

I had the same issue although I'm not as well controlled. My doc suggested I take iron supplements to help with energy. Only started a few weeks ago and haven't noticed much of a difference, but this weather isn't helping!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook