Millhouselady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Restricting carbs
Hi there,

I haven't been around for a long time so apologies to those who think, who is she? But I would love some advise.

I really love carbs but would like to cut them out as they all turn to sugar and the word sugar (to me) is poison.
I want to give up protein because I heard it causes the liver or kidneys (I can't remember which) to overwork and eventually malfunction.
I also want to give up fat because according to an article I read the other day the fat you eat goes straight into the blood and causes the insulin intolerance, hence the cells not being able to use insulin properly.
I don't like vegetables.
So what is left?
T.I.A
Sarah

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are right when it comes to carbs, they do tend to rise blood sugar. Carbs aren't essential though, only very nice.

Protein is essential to a certain extent but many of us find it hard to process a lot of it, besides, too much protein can turn into glucose too so some level of moderation is called for.

Fats are essential too and very filling. It has been argued fats can cause some insulin resistance but I'm not sure how severe. I eat a lot of fat and my latest HbA1c was 33 so I'm not too worried. Fats are a very good source of energy if you can't eat a lot of carbs.

My advice is to try and work it out for yourself. You have a bg meter? If not, order one. The code free seems to be popular. You need a meter in order to see what different food do your blood sugar. It really is different but basically bread, pasta and rice goes out and so does potatoes.

Reactions: 13 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would go with @Totto. Test yourself before and two hours after eating, reduce carbs, don't go bonkers, cut out snacky carbs and eat your carbs in your main meals along with some protein, veg and fats. Find some meat you like and think of different ways of having it, For me it's chicken / fish with loads of cabbage / spinach and cheese..... with nuts for afters.... it does work and when you see how it does, it becomes easier..
Vegetables: there are loads of different types, give them a go.... roasted cauliflower is surprisingly easy to cook and really nice. Spinach (frozen) garlic and soft cheese is another good combo.
Tell us something about your likes and dislikes....
Good luck
You've come to the right place.

Reactions: 2 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hi and welcome to the forum.
You have to eat or you will have no energy,and your liver will dump glucose thinking you are starving and will cause high blood sugar.
I would go very easy on carbs,but have protein and fats.
Dont believe all you read on the internet.
Look at the posts on the forum and you will learn a lot.
It would help if you tell us about yourself.

Reactions: 7 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there,

I haven't been around for a long time so apologies to those who think, who is she? But I would love some advise.

I really love carbs but would like to cut them out as they all turn to sugar and the word sugar (to me) is poison.
I want to give up protein because I heard it causes the liver or kidneys (I can't remember which) to overwork and eventually malfunction.
I also want to give up fat because according to an article I read the other day the fat you eat goes straight into the blood and causes the insulin intolerance, hence the cells not being able to use insulin properly.
I don't like vegetables.
So what is left?
T.I.A
Sarah

Hi & Welcome back, All I can say to you, it appears that you have spent a lot of time looking elsewhere for information to substantiate the need for continuing to eat carbs.

I think you need to spend some time on here gathering the all the information you need to dispel all those myths and poor information you have gathered so far.

You have not mentioned whether you are testing or what your blood glucose is like, maybe you could give some idea of numbers and what you are eating at the moment.

Neil

Millhouselady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Restricting carbs
Thanks guys I appreciate that.
I eat a lot of sweets so my levels are not good.
I start every day between 10 and 17.

The other day it was 16.7, I didn't eat breakfast but took the meds and it only went down to 16.3 by 4 hours later, but then I ate shed loads of sweets and cakes it then only went up to 20.

I suffer from needle phobia so can't have insulin injections, and also depression which most of the time makes me self harm with sugar. I have also had a heart attack two years ago, so far the other complications I live with are pins and needles in the front part of my feet and frozen shoulder. I have no life and have stopped trying to get one, I have been alone for 14 years and live on benefits so can't afford to buy proper food even if I hadn't gone off food.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ****.
Sarah x

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I have no life and have stopped trying to get one

You do here :) One day at a time so ask around and there'll be heaps of advice. Bit by bit, you ARE amongst some fantastic people who will lend you the hand you need

Reactions: 7 people
C

catherinecherub

Hi @Millhouselady,

I really think that you need some professional help and would ask you to visit your Doctor and explain how you feel. If you find it difficult to talk to him then print off what you have written here so that he can see how low you are feeling.

The depression seems to be why you are not taking on board that you need to control your diabetes and until you are feeling brighter then you will feel that nothing is worth doing.

It is not all bad news about food groups.
Excessive protein will affect your kidneys but we all need some as this article demonstrates.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/humansciences/protein

You don't have to go overboard with fats but use them daily and replace the low fat ones that are full of additives and sugars.

Carbohydrates have to be cut back but to what extent varies between individuals. You could start off by trying smaller portions and testing. You may be able to manage this without interrupting your blood sugars or you may find that some of them are not good for you.

Your budget will be bigger if you stop buying the sugary foods as you seem to be in a place where you want to sabotage your health with these. Every time you feel the urge to buy sugary snacks, put the money away instead and you will soon be better off. It is surprising how once our savings grow we feel the need to keep it up.

I don't know what else to say other than you can get through this, it takes time and professional help is needed and we are here for you so any questions then please ask and if you feel like a rant then that's O.K. too.

Reactions: 9 people

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Dear Sarah , you have been given some brilliant advice on here, I just wanted to add my support too . I am so sorry that you feel so low , please ask for help from the professional sector , you haven't written " **** " at all , you have written from the heart , hugs for you .

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys I appreciate that.
I eat a lot of sweets so my levels are not good.
I start every day between 10 and 17.

The other day it was 16.7, I didn't eat breakfast but took the meds and it only went down to 16.3 by 4 hours later, but then I ate shed loads of sweets and cakes it then only went up to 20.

I suffer from needle phobia so can't have insulin injections, and also depression which most of the time makes me self harm with sugar. I have also had a heart attack two years ago, so far the other complications I live with are pins and needles in the front part of my feet and frozen shoulder. I have no life and have stopped trying to get one, I have been alone for 14 years and live on benefits so can't afford to buy proper food even if I hadn't gone off food.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ****.
Sarah x
Hi Sarah,

You have some great advice above I would also recommend going to your Doctor for some advice.

Those numbers are high, you need to do something soon to get them under control, or it's just going to get worse.

Being on benefits, you can still eat well for little cost.

Breakfast, Yogurt cost must be 30p for the portion about the same for the berries even less for the sprinkled granola and Flaxseed estimate £1.00 Total, really healthy and would help your BS

Lunch. I have Peppered Mackerel cost £ 2.60 pack 3 fillets ......3 lunch times a week Hot or Cold, with olives 5/6 and sm plum toms 5/6 estimate no more than £1.50 for lunch. Or replace the Fish with a Portion of Cheese, all better than the sugary stuff.

Dinner. You can do under £2.00 , with either fish or sausages, & veg is cheap Large Cauli 57p at least 3 servings.

If your were cutting the carbs there would be a reduction in the BS

I see you say you don't exercise, even short walks will help to get these numbers down.

Neil

Millhouselady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Restricting carbs
Thanks for your support everyone, I really do appreciate you taking the time to reply, I am just sorry I can't do the replies justice.
Firstly let me say I have been having therapy on and off for 17 years and it hasn't worked. One therapist even wrote back to my doctor that I couldn't be helped.
I don't like proper food, I have tried fish but can't deal with it, especially if it has bones and/or skin. I am on yet another tablet for omega three so the dietician is not worried about that. She basically told me that unless I get my head sorted everything will be too much of a mountain to climb. She knows I can't even function most days.
I don't eat berries and nuts as I have gum disease and the bits drive me mad.
Finally, I don't even go out of the flat unless to an appointment, so walking in the high winds is not an option for me exercise wise. I just can't motivate myself to move from the bed or sofa.
So sorry everyone
x

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally, I don't even go out of the flat unless to an appointment, so walking in the high winds is not an option for me exercise wise. I just can't motivate myself to move from the bed or sofa.

Hi, I thought with a name like 'Mill House Lady' you would not be in a flat.;)

You have been motivated enough to post here.

It's only you can do it, your choice, but you know that, don't you?

What do you want us to suggest?

And where do we go from here?

Neil

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
We will all support you if you want us to,we all have down times.
Do you have friends and family?

Millhouselady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Restricting carbs
My dream used to be to live in a mill house. Seems a long time ago now.

I don't have any family and only acquaintances, no friends. It's yet another thing I have strived to do but no one seems to care enough to stick around for long. No one understands me and why would they want to. I am very negative and get upset when they tell me to do something that I can't do.

I have no idea where to go from here Neil, so sorry. I feel I am wasting everyone's time. x

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya Sarah @Millhouselady,

Firstly, Sarah (with an 'h') is one of my favorite names and is the name I gave myself as a child for secret girls-only clubs and writing in my diary. :)

Please don't think no one cares. We all care here. I care. I want to be your friend and I will be your friend. :joyful: I am just a few months younger than you and although I'm married with a step-son, I often feel alone. I am 4500 miles from my family and 'real-life' friends. I have no 'real-life' friends here in England, just acquaintances and friends of my husband's. I do have a lot of online friends though, and they have been a lifesaver to me! I work from home and don't drive, so it is difficult for me to make friends as well, at my age.:(

I also struggle a great deal with food. I have IBS as well as Type 2. The sweet stuff is bad for my diabetes and the meat and veg trigger my IBS. I often feel I'm in a lose-lose situation. For years my diet was mostly pasta, potatoes, cereal, bread and rice (what I considered 'plain' food) to help my IBS. Then I switched to a raw vegan diet, but that only lasted a couple years and I was back to my "white food" diet. I struggle the most at breakfast, because eggs make me sick :depressed:and I've never been a big fan of sausage and bacon. I hate salmon. :yuck: I'm not a big fan of cheese. When I was diagnosed, I wrote a list of the things I liked, that are low carb *and* that don't upset my stomach - and the list was small! I had to test and test to broaden that list a bit. It's still a pain and I still struggle to find the right balance but I'm doing so much better now on all fronts.

I share your needle phobia :nailbiting: (I couldn't even test myself in the beginning!), have neuropathy in my feet :bigtears: and often struggle to exercise.:***: So it seems we have quite a bit in common! :) I actually hate exercising, so I will often just put on music :headphone:and dance around the room (and no, I really can't dance either! :D) but it gets everything pumping and moving. I bought some silly DVDs (bellydancing and Miranda's workout with maracas) and they are a lot of fun and don't feel like exercising.

I sometimes get quite down about my ills and ailments and then I read on this forum about people overcoming so much more and it gives me a lot of hope. I was actually somewhat relieved when I was diagnosed as at least I knew what was causing all my bad days! :rolleyes::D

Before I ramble on forever (as I am known to do!),:wacky: I just wanted to say that nothing you wrote was '****' and I do hope you will write a lot more. :writer: You are NOT wasting anyone's time! We are all more or less in the same boat on here. Firstly, you have to start feeling better about yourself and the rest will come much more easily. Maybe just sharing more about yourself and your struggles, and knowing that me and others on here go through many of the exact same things you do and will help you along and understand and will suggest things - well, maybe that you will make you feel better and want to do a bit more each day? ;)

Sorry to write such an incredibly long post but I want you to truly know that we do care, we do share your ailments and struggles and we will help as much as we can. Knowing you have support may just be the little push you need? :)

Big hugs to you. x

Reactions: 21 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel I am wasting everyone's time. x

Hi, The only persons time your wasting, is your own.

I think your being very honest with everyone here, so they have a choice whether to respond to you or not, so no one could say you are wasting their time.

I have no idea where to go from here Neil, so sorry.
The odd thing is Sarah, you know exactly where you are and what you are like, when you are able to recognize this, like you do, you can if you really want to, do something about it.

My dream used to be to live in a mill house. Seems a long time ago now.

I'm sorry you did not achieve your dream, but you do have a future and it's time to get that sorted now.

Neil

Reactions: 4 people

Millhouselady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Restricting carbs
Thank you Fallgirl for your post, I appreciate you taking the time. I like the idea of writing a list and I will try that with my dietician next time I am there.
I have a couple of 'online friends' but I miss human contact so much. I'd like to pass the time of day with someone, chatting about news and current affairs and such like. The thing is there is someone who enjoys spending time with me but I find him as boring as hell and I would rather be alone than see him. All he does is moan about his life in which he has hobbies/interests, a full time job and parents. All the things I used to enjoy I can't be bothered with now. No one wants to do everything by themselves.

Thanks for being so positive Neil but I can't honestly see a future. When I started this downward spiral, everyone said it wouldn't last forever, better times were around the corner....I didn't think for one minute 17 years later it would be worse.

x

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't honestly see a future

Hi Sarah,
Well you can see the future & that's what's depressing you I would imagine, but as I said before, from the few words you have posted on here, it's evident to me that you know where you are at, and knowing that you are the only one who can put it right.

Your surviving at the moment but it appears not very happily, surely some small effort on your part could make such a difference to your life.

I have a couple of 'online friends' but I miss human contact so much. I'd like to pass the time of day with someone, chatting about news and current affairs and such like.

You say you miss the human contact, I suggested getting out for a walk, that is where you would meet people, you told me you don't want to go out in the wind.

You hold the 'key' to all this Sarah! :)
Neil

Millhouselady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Restricting carbs
Believe me Neil, I have tried to do as much as I can. In my less depressed days, I've set up meet up groups, hosted events, I've been out for walks, I've looked for support groups in the area, sat in coffee shops, been to restaurants and cinemas on my own, I've been on dating sites. I will be honest with you, I now can't be bothered to do anything else. I even used to go and watch the football in the pub on my own, and rather than sit with me people just took the chairs from around the table that I was sitting at. I must repulse everybody.
I know I hold the key, but everything has just gone too far down hill over such a long period of time.
x