I find myself obsessing a bit about the fruit I don't eat

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really happy and sated with my low carb diet. Its a creamy, buttery dream. I just had flaxseed/chia porridge for breakfast and intend low carb toast and bacon for lunch.
Recently I find myself craving juicy fruit. It started on Christmas day when I watched my family enjoy fresh orange with their fancy breakfast and thought "I would really enjoy that" I assumed it would pass but I find myself waking up thinking "I would love a bowl of mango and grapes for breakfast but I'll never have that again." I do enjoy a few strawberries or a small apricot now and then but its peaches and nectarines and mangoes with the juice rolling down your chin that I'm craving. I know the answer is focus on what you can have rather than what you can't and I remember how much I missed smoking 20 years ago when I gave up but I find myself googling carbs in various weights of fruit while if I'm honest a one off would turn in to once a week and so on. No real question , I just want to say that I'm six months in and this is the first time I've felt a bit fed up with it.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It can be... Frustrating. Putting it mildly. Seven and a half years in, I can tell you it gets easier though. Unless someone brings up dripping-from-your-chin fruitiness, then my mouth does start to water too, haha. At the same time, said fruits are likely to be too sweet to the taste for me now. Palattes change, as do cravings, over time. Sometimes one can indulge for a special one-off, like a holiday or some sort of celebration. But if you know it may become a regular thing, better steer clear to avoid the dreaded Carb Creep.

You're not alone.
Jo

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
but its peaches and nectarines and mangoes with the juice rolling down your chin
Your post made me drool!

I do steal some bites from the fruits I buy for my guinea pigs, usually apples and pears, which I find easy to just take one bite of (confess, did have three bites when there was a particularly juicy pear). Ocasionally water melon, which is more risky because it's amazing to take a real big bite from the middle.
They're not too keen on plums and peaches, so they're out.
I wish they'd like oranges and grapefruits.
Not sure if they like mangoes, I don't dare getting a mango, no way I could stop at one bite.

I also confiscate a bite if friends eat fruits in my vicinity, as I do with their sandwiches or pizza.

Sorry @Margarettt , I fear my post is in no way helpful, except maybe to share missing juicy fruit. And you could of course get a couple of guinea pigs and steal the occasional bite of their fruit!

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Now a juicy crunchy Pink Lady Apple is my craving. I don’t have guinea pigs but I do have a cat who loves apple, as does our resident blackbird. Hmmmm

@Antje77 I read somewhere and typically can’t find it now that watermelon was relatively low carb-wise. I remember being surprised when I read it, then promptly put it out of my mind.

desidiabulum

Watermelon has high GI but very low GL. Tropical fruits are definitely to be avoided, but I thought green apples and some berries are OK. I find a small unripe conference pear doesn't do any damage

Reactions: Margarettt

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Margarettt
Couple of links for you

Then I'd suggest you try it, but measured! You measure your portion and you measure your bg. No cheating now!
It may or may not taste good to your tongue, but your meter won't lie about whether your body likes it, or merely tolerates it.
Only you will know if it is likely to become a weekly habit and if it is so dangerous therefore to have that first bite.

Sometimes an itch needs scratching.

I do have bites. I live in the country and have long grown our own fruits which I've preserved, bottled, cooked and frozen in great quantities. I've not been able to give up fruit totally but I do have small amount so only have local and seasonal when I can. Max 8 blackberries with extra creamy yoghurt for breakfast. A bite or a slice of apple (hubby is still a 1 a day habit). A quarter of a juicy pear with yoghurt or cream. I like the idea of natural fibre and nutrients (or am I kidding myself?) but I know from my meter that larger portions, or eaten between meals does spike me. I did try mango once, but the visual spike was enough to quell that craving ever more!
But none of these are daily, and my bg is good.
Tried tinned pineapple once, omg tooo sweet!

Do let us know what you decide on doing and the results.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening @Margarettt.

Is this craving for juicy fruit an understandable hankering after something you know you shouldn't have or are you just plain thirsty? Would sipping your favourite low carb beverage help to assuage those cravings?

I can get away with a few raspberries or blackberries or blackcurrants with Greek yoghurt, but just about any other fruit, including lemons and watermelon, send my BG readings through the roof.

I use lemon zest or apple peel in cooking when fruit flavours are called for. (My husband, who is not diabetic, polishes off the balance of the apples and lemons, the former with help from Mr and Mrs Blackbird.)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I read somewhere and typically can’t find it now that watermelon was relatively low carb-wise. I remember being surprised when I read it, then promptly put it out of my mind.
Google tells me 8 grams per 100 gram.
A bite or two is fine for me.
But who has ever heard about stopping eating watermelon after only a couple of bites?
Tropical fruits are definitely to be avoided, but I thought green apples and some berries are OK.
According to google, green apples have 10 to 12 grams of carbs per 100 grams, so more than the tropical watermelon.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I feel the same. I dream about Russet Apples, especially this time of year. They sell them in bags of 6 in Waitrose. I have to walk right past.
Even the berries have to only have a few and not every week!
Saying that mum who was 95 when she passed had a banana every day. She was type 2 .....

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google tells me 8 grams per 100 gram.
A bite or two is fine for me.
But who has ever heard about stopping eating watermelon after only a couple of bites?

According to google, green apples have 10 to 12 grams of carbs per 100 grams, so more than the tropical watermelon.
Yes, green apples and apple varieties in general have had a good press on the whole, but do they deserve their reputation for good health?

I used to love apples. Traditional English varieties like a crisp and juicy Cox's Orange Pippin have a kick to them, but modern cultivars such as Gala and Golden Delicious were selected for super sweetness. Not only is the flavour disappointing, super sweet apples are the last thing the world needs! Unfortunately, they sell.

desidiabulum

What does your meter tell you it does?
Well... I occasionally have a small one directly after lunch and it didn't seem to do any damage. Then started slipping slices into my breakfast yoghurt and berries. I noticed my levels have been rising more quickly than normal after breakfast recently -- lots of possible reasons but I suspect Antje77 put her finger on it. Just reminds me how helpful this forum can be!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well... I occasionally have a small one directly after lunch and it didn't seem to do any damage. Then started slipping slices into my breakfast yoghurt and berries. I noticed my levels have been rising more quickly than normal after breakfast recently -- lots of possible reasons but I suspect Antje77 put her finger on it. Just reminds me how helpful this forum can be!
This may simply show you that you don't do well with any carbs in the morning, like many of us, but you can get away with some apple after lunch or dinner. :)

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel lucky that a bit of fruit with meals doesn't seem to make much difference to my bg.

Eaten outside of meal times my bg can shoot up.

The reason I say that is whether it's worth trying some Mango after dinner? Or is it that having some will make you crave more?