I find myself obsessing a bit about the fruit I don't eat

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes an itch needs scratching.
Do let us know what you decide on doing and the results.

Thanks for this thought @MrsA2 and the great links.
My DN kindly gave me 4 months between HBa1c rather than three to let my body get over all the crazy numbers around my knee replacement. Last time I dropped from 54 to 44 so I'm determined to do even better in March and now is not the time to risk a mango carb creep, Therefore if I still feel like this (and it might just go away} the day after my bloodwork I will experiment.

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this craving for juicy fruit an understandable hankering after something you know you shouldn't have or are you just plain thirsty? Would sipping your favourite low carb beverage help to assuage those cravings?
This is worth thinking about @LivingLightly because it happens most early in the morning. I thought it was because I used to have fruit for breakfast but its worth trying a big drink.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is worth thinking about @LivingLightly because it happens most early in the morning. I thought it was because I used to have fruit for breakfast but its worth trying a big drink.
I have a glass of fridge cold sparkling water first thing and that puts a stop to my certain cravings, worth a try

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahhh, I used to be able to destroy a mango standing over the sink, ho hum.
Where they are grown (i.e.lots of placaes), the locals often cut an end off, then squeeze the pulp out, a but like an frozen ice pole, or such like. They can become veerrrrrry skilled in this, to be clean and leave almost pulp free skings and stones.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Margarettt - if it's any consolation, I can now have those fruits, although I try to keep it to "a biit" from my OH's daily, breakfast mango, or where they are grown. Honestly, it seems like air miles multiply the impact of sugars, with tropical fruits.

Fruit was the thing I missed most. I do know that if I let myself get right in there, I could undo a decade's decent work, so just resist.

We all have something. (Don't mention Salsa and Mesquite Kettle Chips, please!)

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where they are grown (i.e.lots of placaes), the locals often cut an end off, then squeeze the pulp out, a but like an frozen ice pole, or such like. They can become veerrrrrry skilled in this, to be clean and leave almost pulp free skings and stones.

Interesting, I was but an unskilled beast when it came to mangoes... and melons. more left on my face than on the leftover skin!

Makes the saliva glands well up just thinking about them. :hungry:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me any carb is a carb, so rather than worry about the source of carbs I just count them up.
I buy the 'fun size' apples, the smallest citrus fruits, ordinary lemons as well as the frozen berries from Lidl. I don't have one every day, and I have to confess to wasting a few of them as they've gone bad before I could eat them, but I seem to be able to cope with them - but if I ate a large fruit I might then not eat any more carbs for 24 hours, and might well have not eaten carbs that morning if I knew there would be fruit later.
I found that I could not cope with carbs as well in the morning as in the evening, and if I have two meals a day I would set my limits at 10 and 30gm if all was as usual.
I don't think I've eaten a banana for 7 years or more - I did eat the pulp of the oranges I used to make the Christmas cake as I put in fresh orange and lemon juice along with the Martini Bianco I use to soak the fruit, but it seems that such infrequent and cautious intake of carbs is fine - but I had found that my HbA1c was 43 only weeks before so felt that I had some leeway.
You need to know yourself as some people, if they eat carbs they can't stop themselves from eating more. I used to be like that when I felt all was hopeless, but now I know that I can do it, I do it.

Reactions: Margarettt

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me any carb is a carb, so rather than worry about the source of carbs I just count them up.
I buy the 'fun size' apples, the smallest citrus fruits, ordinary lemons as well as the frozen berries from Lidl. I don't have one every day, and I have to confess to wasting a few of them as they've gone bad before I could eat them, but I seem to be able to cope with them - but if I ate a large fruit I might then not eat any more carbs for 24 hours, and might well have not eaten carbs that morning if I knew there would be fruit later.
I found that I could not cope with carbs as well in the morning as in the evening, and if I have two meals a day I would set my limits at 10 and 30gm if all was as usual.
I don't think I've eaten a banana for 7 years or more - I did eat the pulp of the oranges I used to make the Christmas cake as I put in fresh orange and lemon juice along with the Martini Bianco I use to soak the fruit, but it seems that such infrequent and cautious intake of carbs is fine - but I had found that my HbA1c was 43 only weeks before so felt that I had some leeway.
You need to know yourself as some people, if they eat carbs they can't stop themselves from eating more. I used to be like that when I felt all was hopeless, but now I know that I can do it, I do it.
I nodded my head up and down the whole way through this post @Resurgam and can absolutely see it as a future plan. The danger for me is if I treat carbs the way I used to treat weight watcher points or slimming world syns they will all be gone by lunchtime and I will be ravenous by 6pm. This is okay now and then (eggs and cheese for dinner) but my history would suggest it would become the norm so for now I'm trying to space my carbs out across the day.
"Martini Bianco" brought me a rush of nostalgia for my teens 40 years ago when martini and cinzano were the height of sophistication.

• Agree
Reactions: aylalake and filly

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I nodded my head up and down the whole way through this post @Resurgam and can absolutely see it as a future plan. The danger for me is if I treat carbs the way I used to treat weight watcher points or slimming world syns they will all be gone by lunchtime and I will be ravenous by 6pm. This is okay now and then (eggs and cheese for dinner) but my history would suggest it would become the norm so for now I'm trying to space my carbs out across the day.
"Martini Bianco" brought me a rush of nostalgia for my teens 40 years ago when martini and cinzano were the height of sophistication.
I found by using a test meter that my first meal of the day needed to be lower in carbs than my evening meal as I could not deal with them as easily then.
I also discovered that eating something like scrambled eggs with cheese and a tomato I was simply not hungry for hours - I stopped eating lunch and these days I eat at around 12 hourly intervals. I think protein is what turns off appetite. I have lost a lot of weight and changed shape after years being in remission.
I have about 10 gm of carbs in a morning and then the rest in the evening so I can have dessert a couple of times a week. I could probably have dessert every day if I didn't overdo it when it is there. I make desserts with gelatine or sugar free jelly so they are high volume and then even if I give in to temptation and scrape out the bowl it isn't going to be problem - I just wait until the days when the dessert is mysteriously absent have passed before making anything more. I can resist anything but temptation, so I have to ensure that the sins available are minor peccadilloes.
The cake recipe has several lists of ingredients, the first one, with the fruit juice, dried fruit and vermouth always takes me back many years. I make it in a steel bowl these days, as stirring it in a brown bowl with panels around the sides is just to much nostalgia.. I do the first list as the recipe, but then add in all sorts of low carb ingredients, so I get an extra cake as a result, and being from Yorkshire I eat it with cheese which seems to be a good thing.