I have given up with food!.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
@Patrick66 if you were a good cook which dishes would be in your top 5?
Oh that’s very difficult isn’t it ?

Chocolate and Salted Caramel Tart with Banana Ice cream.
Chicken and Mushroom Pie, Mashed Potato and Garden Peas.
A good fish pie made with haddock and prawns. Minted peas and broccoli.
Steak and Kidney Pie, Baked Beans and Chips.
Toffee Apple lattice tart with Vanilla Ice cream.

There we go, full of unsuitable diabetic ingredients. Loads of carbs.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Patrick66 Sainsburys also do some low carb things - they do a cauliflower rice, butternut squash lasagne sheets, butternut squash or courgette 'noodles', and more too. Aldi also have a fairly large range.

I hate cooking. I hate it, and so I'm lazy. I'm T1, so my situation is a little different, but also try to avoid masses of carbs. One of my go tos is the quorn sausages (which are lowish in carbs) with some bell pepper and mushroom which I pop in a pan and fry for 10 and 8 minutes respectively. The sausages go in the oven - just a fan oven, anything I have to grill etc is a no go.

In general I have about 4 very easy meals that I rotate through.

Are you on metformin by any chance? Have seen others mention that it can kill appetite.
I am on Metformin max dose but it didn’t kill my appetite before I started this diet for my operation. Or, at least, I had a greater range of foods to try.

We don’t have a Sainsbury’s within 40 miles of us. We just have a Morrison’s and Tesco within striking distance, oh, Waitrose in the town.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh that’s very difficult isn’t it ?

Chocolate and Salted Caramel Tart with Banana Ice cream.
Chicken and Mushroom Pie, Mashed Potato and Garden Peas.
A good fish pie made with haddock and prawns. Minted peas and broccoli.
Steak and Kidney Pie, Baked Beans and Chips.
Toffee Apple lattice tart with Vanilla Ice cream.

There we go, full of unsuitable diabetic ingredients. Loads of carbs.
Ok I cant disagree they are all very nice...however, could you have the piefilling without the pastry ie. chicken and mushroom or steak and kidney with brocolli?
Fish pie without the mash? Sorry cant help with the caramel taet or toffee apple taet but you can get Oppo ice cream salted caramel which is delish. If you want help with the pie fillings come back because there are some amazing cooks on here who can help out.
It would be great to move you forward but you must be open to changes. Best wishes.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ok I cant disagree they are all very nice...however, could you have the piefilling without the pastry ie. chicken and mushroom or steak and kidney with brocolli?
Fish pie without the mash? Sorry cant help with the caramel taet or toffee apple taet but you can get Oppo ice cream salted caramel which is delish. If you want help with the pie fillings come back because there are some amazing cooks on here who can help out.
It would be great to move you forward but you must be open to changes. Best wishes.
I tend to steer clear of anything sweet now. I don’t want to wake the sweet tooth again.

We must get some steak (I’m a bit mixed on kidney) and perhaps do a casserole..with some button mushrooms...thinking aloud here...

Wow that Oppo ice cream is expensive and seems to be for commercial use..have just seen bubblegum flavour...can you buy it a supermarket ?.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to steer clear of anything sweet now. I don’t want to wake the sweet tooth again.

We must get some steak (I’m a bit mixed on kidney) and perhaps do a casserole..with some button mushrooms...thinking aloud here...

Wow that Oppo ice cream is expensive and seems to be for commercial use..have just seen bubblegum flavour...can you buy it a supermarket ?.
Hi Patrick. Me again. Had you considered using a slow cooker. I found one quite useful and makes cooking certain foods like stews, a lot easier.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Great thinking about the pie fillings...because the pastry around is just a case and not very flaversome. The Oppo ice cream is available in some major supermarkets...personally I think bubblegum flavour isweird but just me. I have had salted caramel and Hazelnut Choc and they were goid but you only need a scoop or two to get the hit. If you go on Oppo website they often have money off vouchers.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tesco have frozen cauliflower rice - there's four separate portions in bags - just shove them in the microwave- you could have any of your pie fillings with that.

Could you make mashed potato? Then you can make mashed cauliflower- I use frozen boil for 5 minutes then mash - add any butter, cream, cheese you like

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Patrick. Me again. Had you considered using a slow cooker. I found one quite useful and makes cooking certain foods like stews, a lot easier.
I’m a very slow cooker.

Distinctly remember boiling an egg for an hour!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great thinking about the pie fillings...because the pastry around is just a case and not very flaversome. The Oppo ice cream is available in some major supermarkets...personally I think bubblegum flavour isweird but just me. I have had salted caramel and Hazelnut Choc and they were goid but you only need a scoop or two to get the hit. If you go on Oppo website they often have money off vouchers.
Thank you. I will have a look.

I find the major supermarkets near me very disappointing. Morrison’s in particular has so many empty shelves it’s not a good experience.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tesco have frozen cauliflower rice - there's four separate portions in bags - just shove them in the microwave- you could have any of your pie fillings with that.

Could you make mashed potato? Then you can make mashed cauliflower- I use frozen boil for 5 minutes then mash - add any butter, cream, cheese you like
Thank you. I’ve never seen it in Tescos. Will have a look when we go next Friday...

Reactions: lovinglife

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I dont often suggest this type of thing but, given your need for a low blood glucose level to get your operation, and your food sensitivities and cooking challenges, how about getting more meds for your blood sugar levels for now?

I just think that your lack of nutrition has now become your bigger priority, and so taking other blood glucose lowering meds, for the time being, would sidestep a possible eating disorder type thing, while you get your other health issues sorted and your surgery done.

What do you think?

Reactions: lovinglife

Honeyend

If you can not cook, the life saver is the stir fry. Treat yourself to a good heavy wok or lidded saute pan, the hardest part is chopping the veg. You can add ready cooked meat if you like. A sauce, yes some carbs but not a lot and then at the end you add low carbs noodles. Then you have a tasty meal in 15mins tops.
Scrambled eggs in the wok, I fry mushrooms, if I really lazy throw in the eggs whole, with the milk and mix them in the pan as they cook. Lob in the butter at the end, you sound like you need the calories. Takes 10mins
I think you have to sit down with your partner and say this is not a diet, its a life and that they need to help you. My husband was the worst, 'do you want potatoes?', no, day after day. We now do split shopping, he buys what he wants to eat and I buy mine, which has forced him to realise that things are not going to change, so he cooks an extra portion of veg. So you and they need to make a list of foods that you like that are low carb and just keep them stocked in the fridge, so no matter what there is something in there you can eat. Like a good quality, few bread crumbs Scotch Egg.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can not cook, the life saver is the stir fry. Treat yourself to a good heavy wok or lidded saute pan, the hardest part is chopping the veg. You can add ready cooked meat if you like. A sauce, yes some carbs but not a lot and then at the end you add low carbs noodles. Then you have a tasty meal in 15mins tops.
Scrambled eggs in the wok, I fry mushrooms, if I really lazy throw in the eggs whole, with the milk and mix them in the pan as they cook. Lob in the butter at the end, you sound like you need the calories. Takes 10mins
I think you have to sit down with your partner and say this is not a diet, its a life and that they need to help you. My husband was the worst, 'do you want potatoes?', no, day after day. We now do split shopping, he buys what he wants to eat and I buy mine, which has forced him to realise that things are not going to change, so he cooks an extra portion of veg. So you and they need to make a list of foods that you like that are low carb and just keep them stocked in the fridge, so no matter what there is something in there you can eat. Like a good quality, few bread crumbs Scotch Egg.
I think you, me and Patrick have some commonality there. I love my wife dearly and she is understanding but doesn’t understand. If you see what I mean. So we don’t exactly split shop but not far from it sometimes. I actually think it is coming together in our family, slowly but it’s hard going. :D

Reactions: Patrick66

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Patrick - I had an email today for some voiuchers off Ooppo icecream. The offer of the vouchers expires today, so use the link sooner than later, if you (or anyone else for that matter) want to try it.

https://www.goodtemptation.co.uk/

When it starts loading, the site looks a bit dodgy/adult, but that's just marketing game playing. The vouchers alegedly come in the post, in about a week

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dont often suggest this type of thing but, given your need for a low blood glucose level to get your operation, and your food sensitivities and cooking challenges, how about getting more meds for your blood sugar levels for now?

I just think that your lack of nutrition has now become your bigger priority, and so taking other blood glucose lowering meds, for the time being, would sidestep a possible eating disorder type thing, while you get your other health issues sorted and your surgery done.

What do you think?
I don’t think more meds’ is the answer though I appreciate the suggestion. My blood sugar level is now well within tolerance for the operation; the downside is the loss of interest in food.
Perhaps, once the operation is done I will be able to relax a little.

Reactions: Serena51

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You throw in the eggs whole ?

Shells and all ?

Lol.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think you, me and Patrick have some commonality there. I love my wife dearly and she is understanding but doesn’t understand. If you see what I mean. So we don’t exactly split shop but not far from it sometimes. I actually think it is coming together in our family, slowly but it’s hard going. :D
Oh she doesn’t understand Autism either. It’s either an “Autism” thing or “because you’re a bloke”!

I spend half my life trying to explain things.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Patrick - I had an email today for some voiuchers off Ooppo icecream. The offer of the vouchers expires today, so use the link sooner than later, if you (or anyone else for that matter) want to try it.

https://www.goodtemptation.co.uk/

When it starts loading, the site looks a bit dodgy/adult, but that's just marketing game playing. The vouchers alegedly come in the post, in about a week
Thank you. I signed myself up. I see they sell it in Asda ..and Waitrose..but not the one in town, darn it.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You throw in the eggs whole ?

Shells and all ?

Lol.
You made me laugh there @Patrick66 - but it certainly highlights the problem that some people on the spectrum have and how hard it can be to follow instructions- my son who take things literally would do exactly that because that what it says to do - well he would if I could get him within 20ft of an egg lol

Reactions: catarinagallo