I have given up with food!.

Hungry19

Well, try as I might, I cannot find anything that I enjoy eating.

I have posted about this before but, over the weekend, I simply gave up.

I am still (just about) eating. I am existing on salad, pork chops and broccoli. That's it. The thought of most other "healthy for diabetes" foods simply makes my stomach churn and a wave of nausea wash over me.

I can no longer stomach eggs or bacon. Had my fill of chicken. Have gone off sprouts (eating them 20 days in a row was probably NOT a good idea!), runner beans etc (and I am starting from a very limited diet to begin with)

I have had to invest in three new pairs of jeans because I have lost so much weight (27 lb and counting) and because I was already tall and "lanky" I am starting to look a little unwell. I misjudged going from 38" waist to 36" and had to drop again to 34"..

I feel rubbish (there's a lot of background stresses not helping and my job is, quite literally, damaging my mental health) but yeah, I have given up on food.

Everything's yuck.

Break the duck by buying ready made food or eating out - see it as challenge/invest time in it - there are many open food markets - make eating fun again! If it’s time Naked do some pot noodle type things at 20g carbs - not bad .
Also, everything can get to extreme - especially from all American stuff I read - I tried to stop my daughter buying a seeds n carrot mash at Aldi’s last night - I told her it was too much Carbs, but really cos I had it all frozen at home n she could make it. So issues /lines n goal posts get moved - relax - your not gunna die if you eat a roast with one spud - it’s difficult for your partner to cook for herself and a fussy diabetic diet. Maybe the fun has gone in eating together - maybe your draining her by being like a demanding child at mealtime (the hardest time for a tired people).
Get a bone broth in the boil - and treat yourself to something nice .

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Break the duck by buying ready made food or eating out - see it as challenge/invest time in it - there are many open food markets - make eating fun again! If it’s time Naked do some pot noodle type things at 20g carbs - not bad .
Also, everything can get to extreme - especially from all American stuff I read - I tried to stop my daughter buying a seeds n carrot mash at Aldi’s last night - I told her it was too much Carbs, but really cos I had it all frozen at home n she could make it. So issues /lines n goal posts get moved - relax - your not gunna die if you eat a roast with one spud - it’s difficult for your partner to cook for herself and a fussy diabetic diet. Maybe the fun has gone in eating together - maybe your draining her by being like a demanding child at mealtime (the hardest time for a tired people).
Get a bone broth in the boil - and treat yourself to something nice .
"by being like a demanding child at mealtime"

Since I have a very limited diet to begin with I could hardly called demanding. She works half the hours I do and I have fibromyalgia and have had two strokes. I agree the fun has gone...well, apart from the fact she can eat what she likes lol. She has just lost the will to cook anything ...which she can do. So she leaves it all to me.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don’t be frightened of the kitchen learn by making mistakes. A can of tomatoes & spices can rescue most things.

Plenty of videos on you tube to help. Good luck
Thank you.

Pity I don't like tomatoes and cant cope with spices...and now my livers gone walkabout. I think liver, onions, bacon and mushrooms must be on the agenda..

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Patrick66 rather than focus on what you can’t eat or cook focus on what you can. I do understand you have texture issues and some difficulty with written recipes but you have learned some techniques already and I think this is your depression talking rather than a complete inability to cook for yourself. You seem to have reached the point where you have a barrier to every suggestion made.

If you learned those meals you are capable of learning others, you have to want to though and be prepared to try a few things without fear of failure. Many of us at some point learnt from scratch and you are obviously an intelligent man, and autism isn’t a barrier to learning, just perhaps a different approach is required.

If you can prepare salad is veg really so different? If you can cook a pork chop you can cook a lamb chop or a steak or sausages? Eating the same food everyday drives many of us to misery. Having other household members who are not eating the same way is hard but many of us face that battle too.

The only way to improve things is to change things, keep trying to find (video) recipes of some sort you can follow one step at a time (perhaps with the verbal support and explanation of your partner even if done from the sofa) or buy more ready or half prepared food. Ask your dr about support for this essential life skill. He can only say no and you’ll be no worse than now. Check local schools and colleges for cooking classes to learn new skills. Is there anyone else in your life who might be able to give you a bit of learning time in the kitchen, a friend or relative?

How long til the op and a potential way to change your way of eating/approach to food without fear of jeapodising that?

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Patrick66 rather than focus on what you can’t eat or cook focus on what you can. I do understand you have texture issues and some difficulty with written recipes but you have learned some techniques already and I think this is your depression talking rather than a complete inability to cook for yourself. You seem to have reached the point where you have a barrier to every suggestion made.

If you learned those meals you are capable of learning others, you have to want to though and be prepared to try a few things without fear of failure. Many of us at some point learnt from scratch and you are obviously an intelligent man, and autism isn’t a barrier to learning, just perhaps a different approach is required.

If you can prepare salad is veg really so different? If you can cook a pork chop you can cook a lamb chop or a steak or sausages? Eating the same food everyday drives many of us to misery. Having other household members who are not eating the same way is hard but many of us face that battle too.

The only way to improve things is to change things, keep trying to find (video) recipes of some sort you can follow one step at a time (perhaps with the verbal support and explanation of your partner even if done from the sofa) or buy more ready or half prepared food. Ask your dr about support for this essential life skill. He can only say no and you’ll be no worse than now. Check local schools and colleges for cooking classes to learn new skills. Is there anyone else in your life who might be able to give you a bit of learning time in the kitchen, a friend or relative?

How long til the op and a potential way to change your way of eating/approach to food without fear of jeapodising that?
Yes I can cook other chops. And sausages. And steak. Can’t say I enjoy eating them though.
I do veg. Well I throw it in a saucepan. Liked the stuff in bags that you microwave but they usually put sweet corn in which isn’t good.
No friends and no relatives who cook. None of the former anyway and my sister lives miles away and doesn’t cook.
No idea about the operation. See the surgeon next week so start the process again.
Ready made food I find, isn’t very diabetic friendly ?. Usually full of unhealthy stuff or, at the least, not diabetic friendly stuff.
I’m not putting up barriers. It’s just some stuff is impractical as it requires social interaction and it’s hard to get my partner onboard and I find doing everything myself quite upsetting.

Hungry19

"by being like a demanding child at mealtime"

Since I have a very limited diet to begin with I could hardly called demanding. She works half the hours I do and I have fibromyalgia and have had two strokes. I agree the fun has gone...well, apart from the fact she can eat what she likes lol. She has just lost the will to cook anything ...which she can do. So she leaves it all to me.

Sorry, it must be very hard for you, my sisters have fibromyalgia, the pain and medication take a toll. 10 sessions if unfra red sauna can help with pain (alibaba - sit in ones are about £40) CBD oil, can help. Remove mould from surroundings as it can trigger the mass cells.
Sainsbury’s do chickpea/lentil/pea pasta so normal pasta meals can be easy - with Lloyd Grossnan sauces (low carb)

Also prepare dinner at a easier time in the day and reheat can take the pressure off

Tell your doctor about your thoughts - it maybe your feelings will disclose something that he can help with x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I can cook other chops. And sausages. And steak. Can’t say I enjoy eating them though.
I do veg. Well I throw it in a saucepan. Liked the stuff in bags that you microwave but they usually put sweet corn in which isn’t good.
No friends and no relatives who cook. None of the former anyway and my sister lives miles away and doesn’t cook.
No idea about the operation. See the surgeon next week so start the process again.
Ready made food I find, isn’t very diabetic friendly ?. Usually full of unhealthy stuff or, at the least, not diabetic friendly stuff.
I’m not putting up barriers. It’s just some stuff is impractical as it requires social interaction and it’s hard to get my partner onboard and I find doing everything myself quite upsetting.

Patrick, stop boiling those soggy, tasteless veg, I've told you before :). Chuck them in a casserole dish, drizzle in olive oil, in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, it changes the taste completely. Also, get your liver/onions/bacon in another pot and chuck that in the oven with some low carb gravy. What more could you ask? I would ease off on your partner too, maybe she has her own worries about things (we all do) and it's not her responsibility to police what you eat if she has no interest in it. We have all learnt that with this condition only we ourselves can really sort it BY ourselves, what we eat is such a personal thing and whilst it can be nice for our partners to cook us something suitable now and then, they are not our parents. x

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry, it must be very hard for you, my sisters have fibromyalgia, the pain and medication take a toll. 10 sessions if unfra red sauna can help with pain (alibaba - sit in ones are about £40) CBD oil, can help. Remove mould from surroundings as it can trigger the mass cells.
Sainsbury’s do chickpea/lentil/pea pasta so normal pasta meals can be easy - with Lloyd Grossnan sauces (low carb)

Also prepare dinner at a easier time in the day and reheat can take the pressure off

Tell your doctor about your thoughts - it maybe your feelings will disclose something that he can help with x
Thanks.

We don’t have a Sainsbury’s round here. I live in the back of beyond, not in the back of Beyoncé which my spellcheck insists on telling me!
I quite like the sound of Pea Pasta. Not sure about chickpea or lentil though...
Yes, Fibromyalgia is a real pain, quite literally. Very wearing.

Reactions: Hungry19

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Patrick, stop boiling those soggy, tasteless veg, I've told you before :). Chuck them in a casserole dish, drizzle in olive oil, in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, it changes the taste completely. Also, get your liver/onions/bacon in another pot and chuck that in the oven with some low carb gravy. What more could you ask? I would ease off on your partner too, maybe she has her own worries about things (we all do) and it's not her responsibility to police what you eat if she has no interest in it. We have all learnt that with this condition only we ourselves can really sort it BY ourselves, what we eat is such a personal thing and whilst it can be nice for our partners to cook us something suitable now and then, they are not our parents. x
I have actually found purple sprouting broccoli...again. And the green, love it.

We have a casserole dish ...but please don’t ask what’s in it, a slimming world recipe from last year, I think...

Of course she has worries of her own. The main one being what I’m going to cook for her in the evening (just kidding)..but it would help if we could do something together.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have actually found purple sprouting broccoli...again. And the green, love it.

We have a casserole dish ...but please don’t ask what’s in it, a slimming world recipe from last year, I think...

Of course she has worries of her own. The main one being what I’m going to cook for her in the evening (just kidding)..but it would help if we could do something together.

Well I suppose she could have a spoonful of your liver casserole!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well I suppose she could have a spoonful of your liver casserole!
Oh she likes my liver and onions...its usually a big hit..or the one with potato gratin was lol.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I saw that. Interesting. Not something I had considered before. Thank you.
I have a theory with my son and food issues. The stomach has a lot of brain cells. I find it reasonable to assume that the brain rewiring could be in the stomach as well as the main brain in his skull, as there is already a proven link between autism and reflux/GERD and other digestive issues.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have a theory with my son and food issues. The stomach has a lot of brain cells. I find it reasonable to assume that the brain rewiring could be in the stomach as well as the main brain in his skull, as there is already a proven link between autism and reflux/GERD and other digestive issues.
I certainly am very sensitive when it comes to food.

I can know before I try something that its not going to be acceptable to me. My stomach rebels and I become nauseous.

Hungry19

Thanks.

We don’t have a Sainsbury’s round here. I live in the back of beyond, not in the back of Beyoncé which my spellcheck insists on telling me!
I quite like the sound of Pea Pasta. Not sure about chickpea or lentil though...
Yes, Fibromyalgia is a real pain, quite literally. Very wearing.

Maybe a Sainsbury’s delivery would reach you - if you like pea protein - Huel is a pea protein powder - with all nutrients you can require to be used in cooking or shake - this means you can get your nutrients relieving the nutritional demands of cooking

During my gestational diabeties I had a similar problem and as a teenager very nearly anorexic - so I can listen to hear how your feeling - got to rely on supplements many times - even to this day I take many - stopping occasionally when I get a healthy appetite back or doctor says - taking Vitamin E, Lutein, Selenium, milk thistle, tribalism to name but a few ...

It’s the nutrition that matters..

Better Beyoncé than the milkshake song