1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I have given up with food!.

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Patrick66, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Patrick66

Patrick66 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you.

I am sure they are but even simple things like adding X to Y confuses me. Oh, and Parsnips are possibly my most loathed veg ever lol.

2. Patrick66

She isn't interested in doing so. For reasons I cant go into because they are private to her.

• Hug Hug x 3
  3. Patrick66

I think that's a good idea but when I mention something like that there's no enthusiasm to do so. I think she is going through a phase where everything, including helping me, is a lot of effort hence she come sin and would rather just go with my "effort" when it comes to eating.

• Hug Hug x 1
  4. Patrick66

I have a partner so I don't think I would get any help especially as she is a good cook lol. She just cant be bothered these days.
    Yes I have watched a number of YouTube videos but I find the presentation of many quite difficult to watch as they don't explain very well be that the actual recipe or what goes where. I will persist.

I don't think going LCHF has helped my mental state. I find food totally depressing now. I cant say I miss stuff and watching my better half eat chocolate and sweets and chips isn't making me crave those things but its a narrow diet now even more restricted and a huge fear of going wrong so I now panic at eating anything outside a rigid 8-10 different ingredients.

5. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It might be worth a try - my son still lives at home with both of us parents who incidentally are trained chefs in a former life and he got the help- it doesn't matter that you have a partner as an adult you are entitled to learn skills that makes you independent.

I really admire how much you've tried with your food, it's hard enough for a neurotypical person to ditch the foods they love and totally change their mindset and lifestyle. For someone with autism it's so so difficult with all the sensory issues, routines, learning styles and anxieties- don't be hard on yourself you are a very able and intelligent man who needs a helping hand - even if it's just someone to present/write recipes for food that you enjoy in a way that makes it's easier for you x

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Patrick66 do you like a good (or even average) curry?
    A lot of the curries in M&S, Sainsbury and similar are very good on the carbohydrate front and don't require any skill to reheat.
    Just slam them in the microwave or the oven.
    Avoid the ones with rice included, obviously.

Oh, and consider going to a basic cookery class. That should help you with your confidence and let you cook simple things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you can use a microwave you could try the 4 packs of either Cauliflower rice or Green rice (brocolli, kale, spinach all blitzed up) from Iceland. They are really handy and quick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

it is really a problem to me too, my daughter makes most of the dinners for the two of us , her being a vegetarian, but many times it is with too many carbs or way too much fat ... and I have a problem already gaining weight ..
    Initially I had a feeling that most foods have become poisonous it was so alarming to walk through the supermarkets where so few foods were on the plus side...
    I think it is important that you don´t become too depressed, and I know many will say this is a bad advice, but couldn´t you have one day a week where you just eat all kinds of foods, and then have this day to look forward to ? it is also hard for me to be strict enough with my diet ... but it is also important to have some joy in life and not deprive oneself in such a manner that depression sets in..

I used to be a potato and fruit kind of person... and new baked bread person as well... I feel your pain ... please be kind towards yourself dear gallery-1475185640-e56d4e9272d0ecc4b3b2709945d5bc51.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #28 Freema, Feb 25, 2019 at 4:37 PM
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  9. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

tomato-chips5-1-of-1.jpg tomato chips with pamesan on here over

cauliflower rice is a great substitute for rice by the way

beetroot deviled eggs ...I love devilled eggs with cucumber --
    2322593-beet-deviled-eggs.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    #29 Freema, Feb 25, 2019 at 4:40 PM
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  10. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Have you tried fish. I know a lot of folk can't be doing with it but it is the simplest thing to cook.
    Salmon, cooks itself it has so much fat in it, bake or dry fry in a pan.
    Haddock, fry in butter, you can coat in a the thinnest layer of flour or dip in egg and cover with ground almonds. Chop some parsley, frozen peas in the microwave, 2 mins on max. I have this at least once a week.... :)

Meaty sausages with mushrooms.

Lidl's German Meatballs, autistic son, who is a picky eater, destroys these after a blast in the microwave.

Good luck.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I should be so lucky.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Patrick66

Actually, despite having travelled widely in India and loving India..I can’t abide curry in any shape or form.

My Mum loved a curry but the combination of spices, smell and it’s appearance just put me off. The sauces look...odd..to me.

13. Patrick66

Thank you.

I wish we had an Iceland nearby. Must investigate as that’s so easy.

14. Patrick66

Thank you.

I will try. Unfortunately terrible self esteem isn’t helping matters. I think a day where I ate anything would be too risky as I don’t want to slip back into bad habits.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What did you have when travelling in India?

16. Patrick66

Yes i must investigate cauliflower rice. Thank you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Patrick66

I have fish occasionally. I started off enjoying really meaty sausages but now can’t cope with them. Strange as I was keen but sometimes I think too much of something puts me off quite quickly.

18. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Patrick66 if you were a good cook which dishes would be in your top 5?

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Patrick66

I ate a lot of chips (this was before I took my diabetes seriously although, oddly enough, my hba1c was not too bad), omelettes, yogurt, Chinese especially fried rice, fish..a variety.
    Now, if I went back, I’d survive on eggs..

20. EllsKBells

EllsKBells Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Patrick66 Sainsburys also do some low carb things - they do a cauliflower rice, butternut squash lasagne sheets, butternut squash or courgette 'noodles', and more too. Aldi also have a fairly large range.

I hate cooking. I hate it, and so I'm lazy. I'm T1, so my situation is a little different, but also try to avoid masses of carbs. One of my go tos is the quorn sausages (which are lowish in carbs) with some bell pepper and mushroom which I pop in a pan and fry for 10 and 8 minutes respectively. The sausages go in the oven - just a fan oven, anything I have to grill etc is a no go.

In general I have about 4 very easy meals that I rotate through.

Are you on metformin by any chance? Have seen others mention that it can kill appetite.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook