coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hello everyone.
Some of you might recall that I asked for help with my confusion recently (about two weeks ago)
Well the help was so great, and put me on track with feeling in control of what I'm doing (16/8 fasting)
I've found it relatively easy so far and in the two weeks I have also lost weight ... about 10 lbs.
My carb intake is drastically reduced and I've eaten huge salads together with either meat or fish.
But three times now I have woken in the morning and my foot has stiffened .. in that it won't bend, and I'm unsure if it
is cramp.
At the back of my ankle, just above my ankle bone feels painful to touch and my foot at the front, in between ankle and toes goes
stiff. I cannot put weight on it, cannot stretch upwards or downwards, and just have to massage for five minutes until it goes again.
I don't think I'm dehydrated since my water intake is well up on beforehand, as well as my cups of tea.
It's occurring in only my right foot and it's a strange feeling.
I'm not sure if anyone can identify with this, and knows what could be causing it.
Could it be my weight coming down so fast?
Am I not having enough carbs?
I think (???) I am having about 30g per day but truly don't know for sure.
Should I up my carb intake?
I take one Metformin per day and I also take Plant Sterols after meals ... something I've done for several years now.
I would so appreciate some help/answers or guidance on this.

Alwyn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone.
Some of you might recall that I asked for help with my confusion recently (about two weeks ago)
Well the help was so great, and put me on track with feeling in control of what I'm doing (16/8 fasting)
I've found it relatively easy so far and in the two weeks I have also lost weight ... about 10 lbs.
My carb intake is drastically reduced and I've eaten huge salads together with either meat or fish.
But three times now I have woken in the morning and my foot has stiffened .. in that it won't bend, and I'm unsure if it
is cramp.
At the back of my ankle, just above my ankle bone feels painful to touch and my foot at the front, in between ankle and toes goes
stiff. I cannot put weight on it, cannot stretch upwards or downwards, and just have to massage for five minutes until it goes again.
I don't think I'm dehydrated since my water intake is well up on beforehand, as well as my cups of tea.
It's occurring in only my right foot and it's a strange feeling.
I'm not sure if anyone can identify with this, and knows what could be causing it.
Could it be my weight coming down so fast?
Am I not having enough carbs?
I think (???) I am having about 30g per day but truly don't know for sure.
Should I up my carb intake?
I take one Metformin per day and I also take Plant Sterols after meals ... something I've done for several years now.
I would so appreciate some help/answers or guidance on this.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm not sure why it is only one foot, but when I get cramp I check if I'm getting enough salt, and then magnesium.
If you've given up processed foods then you might need to add salt to your diet. Drinking extra water will just remove more salt.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is quite a lot of weight to lose, though I experienced a similar reduction several times when going back on Atkins - I wonder if you are losing electrolytes and if a one a day vitamin and mineral tablet might help and possibly a little salt?
I know we are supposed to cut down on salt, but that is for those eating a 'normal' diet.
Particularly in warm weather I have to remember to put a small pinch of salt into my morning coffee or add it to feed, as I have no other source.
I used to work for Allied Lyons and the salt used to be deliverer by the ton every week - it went into everything.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That is quite a lot of weight to lose, though I experienced a similar reduction several times when going back on Atkins - I wonder if you are losing electrolytes and if a one a day vitamin and mineral tablet might help and possibly a little salt?
I know we are supposed to cut down on salt, but that is for those eating a 'normal' diet.
Particularly in warm weather I have to remember to put a small pinch of salt into my morning coffee or add it to feed, as I have no other source.
I used to work for Allied Lyons and the salt used to be deliverer by the ton every week - it went into everything.
Well I've certainly cut out ready meals Resurgam, and of course they are salted, which hadn't occurred to me. I had a cheese omelette though for lunch yesterday and added a pinch of salt, but still had the foot stiffness within moments of waking. Maybe I need more with adjusting to no ready meals now?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm not sure why it is only one foot, but when I get cramp I check if I'm getting enough salt, and then magnesium.
If you've given up processed foods then you might need to add salt to your diet. Drinking extra water will just remove more salt.
Hi TriciaW. What will magnesium be in foodwise? I've only ever heard of Milk of magnesium before!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I've certainly cut out ready meals Resurgam, and of course they are salted, which hadn't occurred to me. I had a cheese omelette though for lunch yesterday and added a pinch of salt, but still had the foot stiffness within moments of waking. Maybe I need more with adjusting to no ready meals now?
Without readymeals your salt intake is likely much reduced.
I think the main lack in the early days is calcium, magnesium and potassium. Dr Atkins recommended a multivitamin plus supplements of those three if experiencing cramps.
I found out that I was dehydrated when I had cramps at night - but that is not what you are experiencing.
I suspect a combination of the hot weather and the lack of readymeals has lowered your electrolyte levels.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for that article link Grant. I can see that I'm not lacking in magnesium as I have Chia,Flax, Pumpkin seed s a couple of times a week with almond milk and cream, And eat Brazil and Almonds most days as a snack. Funny that today I've had a whole (yummy) avocado for lunch, followed by Greek yogurt with a few fresh blueberries added. So I can eliminate the magnesiu theory at least :D

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Without readymeals your salt intake is likely much reduced.
I think the main lack in the early days is calcium, magnesium and potassium. Dr Atkins recommended a multivitamin plus supplements of those three if experiencing cramps.
I found out that I was dehydrated when I had cramps at night - but that is not what you are experiencing.
I suspect a combination of the hot weather and the lack of readymeals has lowered your electrolyte levels.
I hope I don't sound too uneducated Resurgam, but what are these electrolyte things and how do I suppy them?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope I don't sound too uneducated Resurgam, but what are these electrolyte things and how do I suppy them?
Sorry - they are simply minerals - the sort of things you might see on the shelves of a health food shop - iron for anaemia is a common one. Someone on a very varied and unrestricted diet might have all they need, but it is often the case these days that tests show up deficiencies.
I think that many people take multivitamin and mineral tablets when they are on a restricted diet. I have for a long time. I get my bus pass checked when there is a new driver on the route, and I am 70 now - so maybe they do help.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry - they are simply minerals - the sort of things you might see on the shelves of a health food shop - iron for anaemia is a common one. Someone on a very varied and unrestricted diet might have all they need, but it is often the case these days that tests show up deficiencies.
I think that many people take multivitamin and mineral tablets when they are on a restricted diet. I have for a long time. I get my bus pass checked when there is a new driver on the route, and I am 70 now - so maybe they do help.
Well that certainly sounds a good promotion for them! Haha. I think I need to do some research on all of the mineral type additions. It takes me far longer than most to understand things, but I will get there :)

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When i first did Keto a few years ago, i had a problem where as i fell asleep i stopped breathing, very scary.
googled it and found it was quite common when electrolytes were low. the signals from the brain to maintain subconscious functions didn't get through properly. The recommendation was to have 1/4 tsp of salt, they said Himalayan was best. 1/4 tsp lo-salt, potassium based and 1/2 to 1 tsp food grade epsom salts. this worked like a charm, although to me 1 tsp of epsom salts proved the saying "going through you like a dose of salts". I used to mix it up in a 500ml bottle with Vimto no added sugar and drink it throughout the day along with plenty of other fluids. I'm not recommending you do this, but if you google low electrolytes you may find something you are comfortable with.

Reactions: coby

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to get really painful calf muscles. The muscle would just cramp up if I stretched my feet. I used to have to massage my calf to relax the muscle and take some of the pain away but my calves could feel bruised for a few days after. When I googled this I came up with something called "Charlie Horses". I thought it was a lack of potassium but I am not sure now, could equally have been a lack of magnesium. Prior to being diagnosed with Type 2 I used to eat half a banana which seemed to stop my calves seizing up - I no longer eat bananas as they have too much sugar but as @ajbod has already suggested, himalayan salt is worth trying. Spinach is also a good source of magnesium and potassium. Mine was not diabetes related but nasty all the same.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stand to be corrected but i believe the septics refer to cramp as a charlie horse.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I stand to be corrected but i believe the septics refer to cramp as a charlie horse.
I don't even know if it IS cramp to be honest, as the odd times that I've had calf cramp it was really painful and would go rock hard. I'm talking a good while ago, since it's ages since that has happened. This is more like a stiffness in the front of my ankle, down as far as where my toes start, and a sore feeling when touched behind and just above the back of my ankle. It's quite weird!

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I suggest seeing your GP - it could be completely unrelated to diabetes or your diet.
I have lived here for just over a year and never met my GP. I asked to see him once, at reception and was told he doesn't see people but that I could book a telephone chat. I couldn't do that. I know it sounds silly but the thought of it terrifies me as I have a phone anxiety. I tried to explain but the receptionist had a cold heart :(

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
When i first did Keto a few years ago, i had a problem where as i fell asleep i stopped breathing, very scary.
googled it and found it was quite common when electrolytes were low. the signals from the brain to maintain subconscious functions didn't get through properly. The recommendation was to have 1/4 tsp of salt, they said Himalayan was best. 1/4 tsp lo-salt, potassium based and 1/2 to 1 tsp food grade epsom salts. this worked like a charm, although to me 1 tsp of epsom salts proved the saying "going through you like a dose of salts". I used to mix it up in a 500ml bottle with Vimto no added sugar and drink it throughout the day along with plenty of other fluids. I'm not recommending you do this, but if you google low electrolytes you may find something you are comfortable with.
Ajbod I am wondering if I am going too low carb? I don't want to go into Keto as that scares me, since I don't understand it enough. I really just want to reduce my carbs to help with my type 2 since I've not eaten sensibly since my son died suddenly. It was the third shock in just a few months and I gave up caring for myself (and put on two stone in weight). I was noticing how unhealthy I'd got and my heart would pound every time I went to bed at night. Over the last fortnight I've lost 10lbs and my heart has stopped pounding. I feel lighter and healthier already, and am only about 13lbs over my ideal weight now too. So perhaps I should eat more carbs? I'm concerned about doing the wrong thing though

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies @coby, I obviously didn't read your original post properly it was when you said you needed to massage your foot, I jumped to conclusions as I used to have to massage my calf muscles until the spasm passed. Definitely cramp I am talking about, so it is me that stands corrected @ajbod obviously not the same thing that coby is experiencing.