I have some questions if anyone can help

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Apologies @coby, I obviously didn't read your original post properly it was when you said you needed to massage your foot, I jumped to conclusions as I used to have to massage my calf muscles until the spasm passed. Definitely cramp I am talking about, so it is me that stands corrected @ajbod obviously not the same thing that coby is experiencing.
Ryhia the cramps you speak of, in your calf muscle are just the same as the ones I sometimes had during the night, but many years back. But this latest thing with me might not be cramp? It's as if my foot suddenly seizes up and won't work, but generally only lasts about five minutes. It's happened three times during the two weeks I've changed to low carbing

Sammy2011

Ajbod I am wondering if I am going too low carb? I don't want to go into Keto as that scares me, since I don't understand it enough. I really just want to reduce my carbs to help with my type 2 since I've not eaten sensibly since my son died suddenly. It was the third shock in just a few months and I gave up caring for myself (and put on two stone in weight). I was noticing how unhealthy I'd got and my heart would pound every time I went to bed at night. Over the last fortnight I've lost 10lbs and my heart has stopped pounding. I feel lighter and healthier already, and am only about 13lbs over my ideal weight now too. So perhaps I should eat more carbs? I'm concerned about doing the wrong thing though

If your only eating 30g of carbs a day, i would think you would be in ketosis already, as the keto diet is typically less than 50g a day, There are cheap urine sticks to test to see if you are. If you think it’s from lack of carbs, up them a little whilst keeping a eye on your BG levels and see if it helps. There’s a number of things it could be from arthritis to something as simple as sleeping position, I sometimes wake up with pinky and ring finger numb which lasts for a few days, which was alarming at first but now I understand it’s from sleeping on my elbow, compressing a nerve. If it doesn’t stop soon i would really encourage you to talk to a doctor, does your surgery have e-consult so you don’t have to necessarily talk on the phone?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
@coby, I would strongly urge you to have another go at seeing your doctor. We aren't medical practitioners here and can't diagnose. Your GP would (should?) know what tests to run if it's something as simple as a mineral deficiency. I appreciate real consults are hard to come by since covid but can you try talking to the receptionist again? What would happen if you physically went to the surgery and spoke to the receptionist? (Or is this not allowed because of COVID?) I am struggling to understand the point of being registered with a doctor if you are unable to communicate with them, but appreciate I am unlikely to understand the UK medical system at the moment (am in New Zealand).

Failing that, have you tried talking to a pharmacist? Some can be quite knowledgeable and at least you'd be seeing them in person.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another one who experienced all sorts of odd sensations when first low carbing/losing weight.
I did up my salt, potassium and magnesium intake by taking supplements and still do. Potassium comes a "LoSalt" which I sprinkle on one meal a day, ordinary salt goes on another meal and I take 2 magnesium citrate 400mg tablets every night

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@coby, I would strongly urge you to have another go at seeing your doctor. We aren't medical practitioners here and can't diagnose. Your GP would (should?) know what tests to run if it's something as simple as a mineral deficiency. I appreciate real consults are hard to come by since covid but can you try talking to the receptionist again? What would happen if you physically went to the surgery and spoke to the receptionist? (Or is this not allowed because of COVID?) I am struggling to understand the point of being registered with a doctor if you are unable to communicate with them, but appreciate I am unlikely to understand the UK medical system at the moment (am in New Zealand).

Failing that, have you tried talking to a pharmacist? Some can be quite knowledgeable and at least you'd be seeing them in person.
EllieM, I did actually see the receptionist in person. I never phone my GP practice but always go there in person. I have thought about writing a letter to my doctor instead? At least that will actually get to him!

Reactions: EllieM

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If your only eating 30g of carbs a day, i would think you would be in ketosis already, as the keto diet is typically less than 50g a day, There are cheap urine sticks to test to see if you are. If you think it’s from lack of carbs, up them a little whilst keeping a eye on your BG levels and see if it helps. There’s a number of things it could be from arthritis to something as simple as sleeping position, I sometimes wake up with pinky and ring finger numb which lasts for a few days, which was alarming at first but now I understand it’s from sleeping on my elbow, compressing a nerve. If it doesn’t stop soon i would really encourage you to talk to a doctor, does your surgery have e-consult so you don’t have to necessarily talk on the phone?
Thank you Sammy. I cannot test my blood sugar levels as I STILL haven't received my meter! It was sent nine days ago (they did inform me) but I think there are so few postmen right now that the post is very delayed. Typical lol

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark Horse, that was quite an interesting read, and I would say that it IS the Achilles Tendon that is causing my foot immobility, since the diagram shows exactly where my tenderness is when touched. However, it is only when I wake up and only lasts about five minutes, at which time I can then walk on it. I wonder if it is cramping up briefly to cause this front of foot stiffness? I must investigate this further. Thank you so much for the link :)

Reactions: Dark Horse

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm another one who experienced all sorts of odd sensations when first low carbing/losing weight.
I did up my salt, potassium and magnesium intake by taking supplements and still do. Potassium comes a "LoSalt" which I sprinkle on one meal a day, ordinary salt goes on another meal and I take 2 magnesium citrate 400mg tablets every night
I must think about getting supplements, as you have done MrsA2. I will look to see what's online as I don't go to shops at all yet. Thank you

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
EllieM, I did actually see the receptionist in person. I never phone my GP practice but always go there in person. I have thought about writing a letter to my doctor instead? At least that will actually get to him!
I would go with the letter option, as you say at least it will get to the doc and when I wrote a letter on behalf of my husband where it would have gone over the stipulated appointment time to explain every thing. Took less than a minute for the doc to read the tome but Doc was very appreciative and it worked well. Do you have an email address you could pass on to enable the doc to respond. The pharmacist is also a good option but as people have already said, it could be any one of a number of issues and unless you have a proper diagnosis, we are all just second guessing for example, I googled your symptoms and came up with another two possibilities, plantar fasciitis and a lack of vit D. You really need to have a proper diagnosis. Another thought, do you have a family member or friend who could do the ringing in for you? Most phones come with speakerphone so you could sit in on the conversation but not have the phone to your ear don't know if that would make a difference to you.

Finally, if the receptionist continues to put up barriers, I wonder if a letter to the practice manager might be in order to explain your phobia, to ask them to make sure it is documented on your records and to ask what they can offer as a workaround if you cannot phone in. Hope you get this sorted soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I would go with the letter option, as you say at least it will get to the doc and when I wrote a letter on behalf of my husband where it would have gone over the stipulated appointment time to explain every thing. Took less than a minute for the doc to read the tome but Doc was very appreciative and it worked well. Do you have an email address you could pass on to enable the doc to respond. The pharmacist is also a good option but as people has have already said, it could be any one of a number of issues and unless you have a proper diagnosis, we are all just second guessing for example, I googled your symptoms and cam up with another two possibilities, plantar fasciitis and a lack of vit D. You really need to have a proper diagnosis. Another thought, do you have a family member or friend who could do the ringing in for you? Most phones come with speakerphone so you could sit in on the conversation but not have the phone to your ear don't know if that would make a difference to you.

Finally, if the receptionist continues to put up barriers, I wonder if a letter to the practice manager might be in order to explain your phobia, to ask them to make sure it is documented on your records and to ask what they can offer as a workaround if you cannot phone in. Hope you get this sorted soon.
Ryhia you have provided some excellent suggestions here. I would not have thought about contacting the Practice Manager about my anxieties, but that makes perfect sense, and I shall do that.
I have no family left now, other than my daughter who lives with me, and she is anxious too, so that cancels out any phone interaction. We haven't made any friends since our move last July (mainly due to Covid and not leaving the house at all) so there's no one to call on for any help. I also didn't think about providing my GP with my email address, so thank you for that suggestion too. Thank you so much