I Miss My Bananas

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dr B is not proposing his very low carb regime out of meanness, but because he is wants his patients and readers to attain what he considers normal blood glucose levels and so avoid complications. His ideal target is 4.6mmol/L (83mg/dl) with minimal rises after meals. He is happy to give his T2 patients Metformin, insulin etc. if they can't attain these levels by diet and exercise alone.
Exactly right, although I think T2s would have problems getting so low. B was trained as an engineer so has a very logical approach to BG management. His control is amazing. IIRC Life expectancy at diagnosis was 30 years. That was 71 years ago. Of course, there have been great advances in that time.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tipetoo, Im surprised about you eating cheese every day , I absolutely love cheese ,usec to have it grilled on toast with ham and tomato ...yum :wacky:

But just be diagnosed with type 2 and reading Roy Taylors book i have decidec to stay off cheese to see if it lowers my sugar levels and do what the good Doctor said.

But if it doesnt make any difference im going back on my favourite food !!!

I love Fetta cheese too ....yum :wacky:
Can you tell us the book you have? Is it Michael Moseleys Blood Sugar Diet? It would help a lot to know what regime you are following so we don't keep suggesting things that are "forbidden". Are you doing meal replacements shakes for example?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to the Daily Mail, among others, this is their recommended diet based on the Newcastle amount of calories, including this gem:

What about cheese?

Stick to lower-fat varieties such as feta, goat’s cheese, halloumi and mozzarella.

Although they are using Dr Roy Taylors name and quoting him in parts of the article, there is nothing to suggest that he has sanctioned a low fat approach, or the diet they are reccomending, just that he recommends 800 cals a day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5348281/How-beat-diabetes-12-weeks.html

Reactions: Prem51

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am angry that Dr Roy Taylor is getting dragged into this Low Fat "lets make up an 800 cal diet based on low fat" stuff.

Its everywhere, these new 800 cal low fat diets with grilled skinless chicken, low fat cheese, etc etc. It NOT what Roy Taylor told us to eat, his study was a controlled study, using shakes, and all these diet gurus as jumping on the bandwagon and coming out with nonsense like:

Now, following nearly 20 years of painstaking scientific research, we finally have the breakthrough which could end one of the most widespread and deadly medical conditions of the modern age.

It does not involve taking more medication – in fact, it involves taking no medication at all.

And the best thing about it is that almost everyone with type 2 diabetes has the power to rid themselves of their condition.

It involves, quite simply, a diet.

I have bolded this bit as its another clear example of blaming the diabetic if it doesnt work for them.

This article, syndicated all over the place, is a complete mish-mash of the good work Roy Taylor and his team did, being used to underpin something which is harmful to many by being so low fat.

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having done low fat low calorie diets in the past, under doctors' orders, I go deathly pale and collapse under such regimes, and I suspect that a lot of my problems with losing weight stem from that time, as over several years my metabolism learned to shut down at the first sign of food restriction - even now I need to eat every 12 hours or see signs of stress.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also found this quote from the article a tad dangerous

In our study, participants stopped taking their anti-diabetic and blood pressure medication.

I can visualise Mr. Jo Public stopping his meds as soon as he starts this diet rather than waiting to see what happens through finger prick testing.

Reactions: dbr10

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
from the article you linked to:

I didnt realise type 2's had a pancreas which stopped working.
Maybe should have said not working properly. The article does not have some of the faults of the Daily Mail version so is probably a better introduction to Professor Taylor's work. It does say it will help some people put their diabetes into remission. It does not mention anything about a low-fat diet and it does have a warning about changing your diet if you are on medication.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
If it’s the banana flavor you miss, I’ve seen recipes that use banana extract/flavoring to make low carb banana bread. You could try something like a chai seed pudding with banana flavoring to keep in the fridge for a banana fix. If it’s the texture you miss most, I have no idea.

Just remembered how my Mom fixed bananas.
Slice in bowl, add lots of crunchy sugar, add small amount of milk = Breakfast.
Needless to say that hasn’t been on the menu in a long time. . OMG. I think my monitor just cracked thinking about this!

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just remembered how my Mom fixed bananas.
Slice in bowl, add lots of crunchy sugar, add small amount of milk = Breakfast.
Needless to say that hasn’t been on the menu in a long time. . OMG. I think my monitor just cracked thinking about this!

Not sliced in our house - mashed with sugar and the cream off the top of the milk.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sliced in our house - mashed with sugar and the cream off the top of the milk.
No, not mashed WITH the sugar! The sugar crunch was the best part :)
Oooh. When the milk separated. Hard to find today. Almost as hard as glass milk bottles or having a milkman.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, not mashed WITH the sugar! The sugar crunch was the best part :)
Oooh. When the milk separated. Hard to find today. Almost as hard as glass milk bottles or having a milkman.

Those were the days, especially trying to beat the birds who, if they got there first, pecked the milk bottle tops to get at the cream.
There is a milkman comes down our road. We see him sometimes, and see bottles left out on the doorsteps. We had him until a couple of years ago when we realised we just didn't drink enough milk to warrant it so opted for supermarket longlife.