I smoke, drink and eat chocolate - bite me!!

Netty70

Otenba said:
How sad that people still feel compelled to call themselves a "good" or "bad" diabetic even to this day.
I don't believe in those labels since they help no one. You're human as much as the next person - some worrying about others judging you. It's your body and it's up to you to take responsibility for your decisions - no one else can after all.

Stay safe y'all.

How very true :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kestrel

smoke drink and eat chocs.. it wont seem so defiant when your going blind and having your legs sliced off and waiting on someone to clean your ****. unless you've got an (escape my life plan) for when the **** hits the fan and your happy to take it, i would slow down and take this awful disease seriously because its a proper terror and it is out to get the rebellious. everyone has a demon and mine is the beer... but to have three...hey a diabetic body wont put up with that for to long :|

sw11bloke

I was the same for the first 12 years of being type 1 then overnight, it caught up with me. If I could rewind time, Id have taken my diabetes a bit more seriously.
I always heard of the complications and thought that I was doing ok and that it wont happen to me until last year when my type 1 sister age 43 (who also never paid attention to her diabetes) rang me up to say she was in hospital and had to have an emergency quadrupple heart bypass. The highs had given her heart diseas and she had no idea that she had it. I flew to SA for her surgery and following the bypass, all her organs started failing. She was on dialyses...the works. She was in a coma for 3 weeks with pipes going in and coming out of everywhere. The Sunday came and the hospital called us to come say our goodbyes. At this point, her body had swelled up that she looked completely different. We went to the hospital and said our goodbyes. That night, they gave her some blood as her haemaglobin fell to about 5%. Luckily the blood seemed to help and her BH started going up. She woke up a few days later and after weeks came off dialysis.
My sister is alive today and learned the most horrific lesson in her life.

I then got a letter saying I had retinopathy and m1 maculopathy (which is not reversible) and I could lose my eyesight. That shock and fear has made me realise that I need to take my diabetes seriously.

I wont bite you....
All I will say is this.... from my own personal experience, ITS NOT WORTH IT. I sincerely hope I can urge you to think about your life and your future. Diabetes is a serious condition and those complications creep up when you least expect it and its not worth all the pain and suffering to you and your loved ones. You can live a full normal life - just take your diabetes treatment seriously.

skipbifferty

It's worth emphasizing though that there are some people like me, and who has with type 1 diabetes, who can eat virtually as much chocolate as they like and not suffer high blood sugars or cholesterol or be overweight. In fact, I actually have very good sugar levels, maintain a consistently good weight and even have high good cholesterol (there are two types I think). While it is possible that the chocolate hasn't done me much good and may have even caused my diabetes (who knows?), I don't think it's done me much harm either. I realize though that different foods effect different people in different ways.