I smoke, drink and eat chocolate - bite me!!

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so glad to be reading all this! I am really trying to follow carb counting and be more aware of how much sugar etc is in the stuff I buy but I've gotta be honest, I love chocolate and pastries and cakes, and I drink most weekends!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My cardiologist suggested that it might be beneficial to have a glass of red wine with my evening meal most days (but not get carried away). I never drank much before, so this is a vice I have only recently taken up :D Doctor's orders :thumbup:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, im a stonemason,

im confused why people take comfort from someone killing themselves as well :(

Mrspuddle

Thanks Andy really consoling, this thread was not put here for others to judge me, believe me I am more than aware of my own shortcomings. It really is just to let others know that they are not the only ones that don't always meet the high expectations we believe we should have of ourselves.

equipoise

OK, this is going to make me unpopular but here goes. We all fall off the waggon sometimes, and it is important for a forum to have threads where diabetics can confess their failings and encourage each other to get back on the waggon. I suspect Andy was responding to the fact that this thread seems to have a different, defiant tone – of diabetics saying that they choose to smoke, eat badly, drink a bottle of wine every night, and sounding as if they are proud of the fact, and daring others to take offence. That is certainly how I have read these posts. If the posters concerned did not mean this, then they should say so, so that other forum users do not pick up bad ideas. Having occasional lapses is one thing. But setting out to be a ‘bad diabetic’ doesn’t mean someone is being naughty, or that they are a daring free spirit – it just means that that person will die more quickly. In that context, I think that ‘each to their own’ is not a compassionate response, but a callous one.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
yes what you said lol, the bite me in the title suggests surely you dont care if your judged, it also suggests by your positive responses thats its ok, well it aint, its ok to try and fail but not ok to sound like you are happy to be doing bad, i watched my dad die like this and i hope i did upset you enough to make you think about what your doing, if not bite me

mwaaah x

Reactions: 2 people

375lindyloo

I believe that this is a light hearted response to us diabetics being treated like naughty children. We all know what we should be doing but with the best will in the world we fall off the wagon occasionally. It's like dieting we can't become discouraged and get back on. I for one don't need telling about the horrible death scenario and the amputations due to the fact that I can read and I do watch the tv. Tongue in cheek is the way to go as a defence against being scared sh**less.

sparkyrich

Indeed, that's how I read the OP too. There's enough threads on the forum that extol the virtues of low carbing, constant dieting, alcohol abstinence etc. One thread that reminds us we ain't all saints in a tongue in cheek way is hardly likely to have even the thickest person thinking its lifestyle advice for diabetes. If you don't like it, don't read it. There's a little button up there that let's you back out of a thread - comments are not compulsory!

Reactions: 2 people

Mrspuddle

Lindyloo and sparky rich you are spot on! This was a tongue in cheek comment and meant in a very lighthearted way, would I encourage people to adopt my lifestyle? Hell no. Ask any smoker diabetic or not and they often say they wish they never started. They are my choices but it doesn't mean I'm proud of them. I do exercise regularly, try to eat a relatively healthy diet, test my sugar religiously and work hard at getting better results but I'm not a saint! I wouldn't call it defiance just a bit of honesty :)

375lindyloo

Yes you can only do your best. I low carb but sometimes the devil gets in me and I attack the biscuits! I know I shouldn't but I think if you can't have something you want it more unfortunately. I have to buy biscuits as hubby is an addict but I buy boring ones so they are less attractive and make him hide any other goodies. I am no saint but bg in non diabetic level so I mustn't be doing too badly. Btw hubby is same healthy weight as he has always been and fit apart from a few aches and pains-sickening!

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree, it's just nice to have an outlet really where we can say what we eat etc, echoing previous comments really that we all know as diabetics what the risks are but don't need to be constantly reminded or feel as tho we are naughty children because we like to eat cakes, drink alcohol etc etc...

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i avoided this post, i wished id avoided for longer lol, i never meant any offence, i have tried to reavoid it but here i am again, its an illness of the mind :)

sorry

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went out to a beer festival yesterday and had a Thai meal.

I might even eat cake later.

And I've been known to have an occaisional cigar :shh:

Lilllaura87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Echoing other posts again, this is light hearted, we do not need people jumping on this telling ha about our actions, we are big enough and have lived with this long enough to realise we are not saints, we try hard at being a 'good' diabetic but it's actually nice to hear other people have their let out about little vices too, if you don't like this post don't comment on it, we do not comment on other people's post if we do not agree, we let them have their say. We have enough grief off doctors about our 'vices' we look for a bit of comfort from people on here!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi there, People are allowed to do what ever they want to, good, bad, or indifferent, it depends on how you look at it. I have just come out of hospital after having an eye operation, after 24 years of diabetes.

If members do write a thread with a title like that, you will get many views as shown and not necessarily in the way you may expect or like.

We all know the consequences of not looking after our diabetes, but if you want to live how you want to, then that's your choice :D I used to smoke and gave up the coffin nails over 3 1/2 years ago, I wish I had done it sooner, one of the best things I have ever done :thumbup:
Lastly, please try and remember the younger and more vulnerable adolescents who can be very impressionable when reading threads like this, that's all.

All the best RRB :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i like to smoke crack, it sends my bg up but hey no ones perfect, glad to be able to tell other crack head diabetics they are not alone, thanks