I smoke, drink and eat chocolate - bite me!!

Mrspuddle

This is a topic purely intended to show that we are not all well behaved diabetics! Despite my best intentions I have way too many vices, thought it would be nice for other 'bad diabetics' to know they are not alone!
:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Mrs Puddle, each to their own ! As long as you are happy, that's cool ! Who are we to judge ! Just hope you are aware of the risks, but I'm sure you are ! I certainly tip a beer to often so I would certainly not judge others.
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I smoked for 33 years. My consultants and doctors kept telling me it was suicidal - but for some reason I thought I'd get away with it. ;)

equipoise

robert72 said:
I smoked for 33 years. My consultants and doctors kept telling me it was suicidal - but for some reason I thought I'd get away with it. ;)

Smoking IS suicidal, for diabetics -- come ON, people!

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I love chocolate too, something I'll never be able to give up! Nice to hear from someone that is not following a low carb diet and not advising everyone to follow it!

WhitbyJet

Well I am low carbing, but I drink alcohol, albeit in moderation, I also eat chocolate, I make my own and its totally YUM, you wouldnt know its low carb and sugarfree, early this morning I made luxurious, creamy very chocolatey truffles.

I dont smoke because I cant stand the stale cigarette smoke, yellow teeth and coughing lungs out every winter........but each to their own is what I say.

Attachments

• chokladbollar.jpg
    chokladbollar.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 2,296

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
I smoke, drink a bottle of red wine every night, eat fat French cheese for fun with a little cracker, I have not eaten meat for six months and will soon give up sea food, have been low carbing for the last two years, have reduced my 6 month blood to 6.9, reduced my cholesterol to 4.7 without accepting simva, have just this month been discharged from the podiatrist and the annual visit, been advised by my nurse to reduce metformin by half to 500mg per day.
Oh; I have never been a chocolate or sweet lover, ever.
All the above was before following the Newcastle diet which I just came off last week after 11 days. Fasting bloods for the last 5 days have all been below 6 with most in the 4 zone. Didn’t use the shakes, just food and wine keeping strictly under the 800 carbs.

I do intend to reduce the wine and stop the cigs; one day

WhitbyJet

375lindyloo said:
Recipe please!!

Here you go:
Ingredients:
100 grams butter, unsalted
100 grams of desiccated coconut + some extra for garnish
1-2 tablespoons sweetener, eg Canderel powder
2-3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons cold coffee or thick double cream or rum/whiskey
1 teaspoon vanilla powder (I buy mine from ebay)

Leave the butter out of the fridge so that it goes to room temperature and is soft
Mix all ingredients together. Add sweetener to taste.
Roll mixture into 20 balls and roll in coconut flakes. Or you could roll them in chopped nuts/almonds or cocoa powder instead.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
About 1.5g carbs per truffle.
**Vanilla Powder is a carbohydrate-free alternative to vanilla sugar

There are more chocolate recipes in the Chocolate Paradise thread.

julie54

Whitbyjet - thanks for the recipe! Am very tempted to give them a try!! Can I ask if you can use vanilla essence instead of vanilla powder?? Many thanks - Julie

WhitbyJet

julie54 said:
Whitbyjet - thanks for the recipe! Am very tempted to give them a try!! Can I ask if you can use vanilla essence instead of vanilla powder?? Many thanks - Julie

Julie, yes you can use essence, but use a little less of the other liquid, however I find the best vanilla flavour comes from the vanilla pod or the vanilla powder, its really worth getting some.

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So did I and had a heart attack but each to his own.
I always thought it happened to the other guy but never me.

Andy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We all have our own little vices, mine was a Chinese Take-away last night to celebrate my youngests GCSE results and him getting a place in College, was going to Sixth Form but changed his mind.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll be having a Chinese takeaway this evening as we have relatives coming over for the weekend, i don't see it as a treat, if I want a chinese then I'll have one, but this will always be compensated for with an hour or two of exercise - I am far too aware of how ****** I'll feel if I don't compensate.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Can so empathise...not a smoker, but finding it hard to moderate wine, nuts, cheese and occasional fruits (how to resist a ripe peach?). But lowish carb and cutting out starchy veg, grains esp gluten and trans-fat seems to have helped. Latest MOT shows needs to improve HBAc1 (7.8), good lipids, good kidney/liver panels, peripheral circulation good, slight peripheral neuropathy stabilised, no signs of retinopathy. Biggest problem is deteriorating bone mass - now femur neck classified osteoporosis. :-(. Extreme caffeine habit needs to be stopped. Love chocolate but managed to wean myself onto 99% cocoa.