I still haven't had an appointment?

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The last time I went to the diabetes clinic was in December, and I know adults go once a year, especially after DAFNE, but she said she'd make sure I had another appointment in 4 months time.

Should I wait for them to send an appointment or should I ask them for an appointment?

Also, I always feel like they go too quickly and I just say what I think they want to hear and not whats really troubling me.. :/

equipoise

Clearly the clinic forgot. You should definitely contact them, explain what you were told, and book another appointment. HCPs are only human, and can forget things.
Before your meeting, write down the things that are worrying you about your condition, and when you meet the nurse/consultant bring out your notes and ask if you can run through the questions with them (you can always laugh and say otherwise you forget). When they are giving responses, write them down (they will be more careful to be accurate in what they say) and ask for a print-out of any tests. The first time I did this they probably thought I seemed a bit of an anorak, but if you just smile and say it's your way of doing things they quickly appreciate that you're trying to take control of things. It's also a good way of slowing down the discussion, giving yourself time to think about your response, and not falling into the natural trap of trying to be agreeable and telling them what they want to hear. Good luck!

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, that was helpful.. i think its a good idea to think up questions because otherwise you're out the door before you know it!

I always find it hard bringing up concerns though.. i have to be honest. I've had this nearly 10 years and always when asked if I have any problems/questions I'd just smile and say no.. thats not great though haha

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
If I was concerned at all, whether I was due an appointment or not I'd contact the diabetes clinic regardless and they'd book me in within 7 days. Don't be afraid to ask, that's what we pay our taxes (for those that work) and what they get paid for. Don't suffer in silence, they'll be more than happy to impart nuggets of information and tips and tricks and new techniques. They are brilliant and I think 6 month visits minimum are vital, in case you are starting to develop bad habits or have new developments, not that I am implying that you do. None of us are perfect, some of us are better and worse than others. Some are regimented and have doses ingrained in their mind. I always beat my alarms to taking my tablets and insulin as I'm so used to it, my body clock just knows.
Good luck and I hope they give you peace of mind x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Since I've been on insulin over the last 6 months my surgery DN has made it clear that I can see/call or email her at any time I have a question or problems. She works on the basis of a 6 monthly HBa1C. I think you will find that diabetes clinics/nurses expect contact with insulin users every 3 to 6 months until you are really settled and happy. Do setup an appointment as they tend to rely on you taking the initiative if they forget. For my surgery I choose a 10 minute slot if it's simple or a double slot if more needs to be discussed.

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know I shouldn't be ashamed/afraid to admit I don't always remember things, but last time I went I'd not taken my thyroid medication and I just felt like an idiot having to tell her which led to me sort of lying.. I feel like she looks down on me i dont know.

Id rather have an appointment with my diabetes nurse rather than the dr, can you ask for that?

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My nurse said I needed a HbA1c in 3 months. I called and they said it was up to me to arrange it, so I did.
Went in a few days before to ask what they had arranged, she looked at the form and said it was a blood test but didn't say what for. I told her to put down HbA1c and cholesterol. Come the test day and nothing was on the form. The nurse found a doctor who authorised a HbA1c. I asked her to add the cholesterol test and she did.
It was up to me to arrange an appointment to discuss results too.

I went in to get the results. The receptionist looked and said "normal, no action". Fortunately I knew enough now to ask for a print out.

All seems very difficult for something that should be fairly common.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App