1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I wish I had listened to the people in this forum...

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by memememeiii, Jan 14, 2017.

1. stephenharold

stephenharold Type 2 · Member

2. Lionel12

Lionel12 Type 2 · Member

HBA1c 68 - can't be right. What measurement are you using? Mmol or mg/dl?

3. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The HbA1c is either measured in mmol/mol (ie. not mg/dl or mmol/l) - in which case 68 is a valid number that it can be though definitely showing diabetes (48+ is classed as diabetes, 42-47 is pre-diabetes), or in an old school percentage format (68mmol/mol = 8.4%) .
    Though you realise you've replies to quite an old thread.

4. Lizzie2

Lizzie2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with keeping her information in a book and if the poster wants to use a quill and blotter why not? Whatever floats your boat.

I could use my iPad or even my phone but I designed and printed off a pile of A4 horizontal spreadsheet based on blood sugar levels before and after each meal - I eat three times a day - that I leave lying on the dining room table.along with a pencil. When one spreadsheet is finished I clip it to the others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lizzie2

Lizzie2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I stopped using simvastatin when after taking them for about two weeks I couldn’t walk from the camp site we were staying on to the bus stop across the road - previously we used to walk int town - a brisk half hour. I was also really depressed.
    This was years ago before statins became given out like they are today.
    I knew nothing about them until I came home and did a spit if online research - found the muscle pains but it took a lot of looking too find that depression was a side effect too. Nasty stuff.

6. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

I wrote that post you quoted 3.5 years ago and had forgotten it. If you are referring to the 68 in my signature then it is in mmol and dated 2009 when I was diagnosed. The other Hba1c results show what low carbing can do.

7. KennyA

KennyA Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Healthy-Eating-medicine-cholesterol-Alzheimers-ebook/dp/B078SCDMXF

Try this. It covers many things but includes a taking apart of most of the received wisdom on statins.

8. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I took Atorvastatin and on at least three occasions in the small hours I was contemplating suicide. I stopped the tablets after 5 weeks, so the effects are pretty rapid.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook