Ideal Diet to Avoid Diabetes

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
So what you are saying is that if one cannot exercise then there is no hope of remission? No hope of weight loss? A life of complications sooner rather than later?

No. But it is a significant disadvantage.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks, just a gentle reminder that this thread is about ideal eating to prevent T2, not exercise.

Actually, I think I need to extend my previous post on page 1 where I was talking about unprocessed, not mucked about with foods. I omitted to mention carbs at all, which was a bit of a lapse. ;)

That is mainly because I strongly believe that an old-style unprocessed diet is largely free of the kind of carbs that cause a lot of the problem. As an illustration, here is a link to some info on how sugar has increased in our diets over the last couple of centuries.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/sugar-intake-increase-over-the-years.157076/

However, because we now grow different crops, with higher yields of things like potatoes and different wheats, keeping those in the diet would still produce a higher carb diet, even if we went back to medieval levels of sugar intake.

Plus the prevalence of white bread (which used to be for the affluent elite) and the sudden increase in rice eating (in the UK) to go with our curry habit that has developed in the last 50 years :D

Ed to remove a repeated para

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So to get back to the opening post, can we take 200 or even 210grams per day of carbs as the bottom end of a safe target band, for those who do not yet have T2 diabetes? Something for Joe Public to aim for?

Would ~99% of the population avoid type 2 diabetes on a diet such as the one in Mr Pots example, bar those of course that might naturally be susceptible anyway.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So to get back to the opening post, can we take 200 or even 210grams per day of carbs as the bottom end of a safe target band, for those who do not yet have T2 diabetes? Something for Joe Public to aim for?

Would ~99% of the population avoid type 2 diabetes on a diet such as the one in Mr Pots example, bar those of course that might naturally be susceptible anyway.

Well, I would say that 200g carbs a day is far more than many people can cope with in the long term - but that isn't based on anything more than speculation.

My body has never done well, even as a young fit teenager, on more than (guesstimating based on 35 year old memories) 100g carbs a day. That was a high carb day for me and used to make me feel very ill.
200g is far more than I have ever been able to cope with and would probably have seen me with T2 level blood glucose in my 20s.

Although of course, different people, male, female, tall, short, fit, active, or not, will all have completely different tolerances.
And we wouldn't be able to tell whether they were eating a damaging amount for a long time - probably decades.

Far better to err on the side of caution, IMO. And sweeping guideline amounts are always nonsensical to vast numbers of people.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And sweeping guideline amounts are always nonsensical to vast numbers of people.
Funny you should say that as it gives me a sort of inverse sense of deja vu.

That aside, I suggest that 200grams of carbs per day is very low compared to the intake of the majority of the population.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Funny you should say that as it gives me a sort of inverse sense of deja vu.
That would be Jamais vu. it's the feeling or experience that a person knows or recognizes a situation, but that it still seems very unfamiliar or unknown.

@Brunneria And yes white bread didn't become affordable for most people till after 1850

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That would be Jamais vu. it's the feeling or experience that a person knows or recognizes a situation, but that it still seems very unfamiliar or unknown.

@Brunneria And yes white bread didn't become affordable for most people till after 1850
No, this is where one has been in a similar position before but the complete opposite has happened.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, the Diabetes.UK poster in #27 above seems to agree.

Just a point of detail, if I may. The poster you refer to in your own post #27 is not a Diabetes UK poster. It is liveried diabetes.co.uk ?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a point of detail, if I may. The poster you refer to in your own post #27 is not a Diabetes UK poster. It is liveried diabetes.co.uk ?
Sorry are you saying it’s not created by diabetes.co.uk or not by diabetes.org.uk or something else. The final question mark confuses me (easily done some days)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Presumably you wouldnt livery a poster that didnt sit squarely with diabetes.co.uk ?

Its as if at the very least, it has been endorsed by diabetes.co.uk And is locatable alongside other posters within the DCUK website.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/posters.html

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Presumably you wouldnt livery a poster that didnt sit squarely with diabetes.co.uk ?

Its as if at the very least, it has been endorsed by diabetes.co.uk And is locatable alongside other posters within the DCUK website.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/posters.html

My point is Diabetes UK and diabetes.co.uk are differing organisations. For example:

Diabetes UK
upload_2019-11-4_19-9-26.png

Diabetes.co.uk:

upload_2019-11-4_19-13-43.png

Apologies for the quality of the diabetes.co.uk image, I tried to magnify it, but the quality plummeted.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That poster is not overly helpful imo.
What is a “balanced diet” and how does lowering cholesterol reduce the risk of diabetes t2? If anything I understood diabetes has raised cholesterol as a symptom not a cause.

I reviewed these posters last week when the link was posted and was a little disappointed by this one and the lack of a poster advertising the low carb program the way there is one for the hypo aware program. Many of the others are quite good though.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That poster is not overly helpful imo.
What is a “balanced diet” and how does lowering cholesterol reduce the risk of diabetes t2? If anything I understood diabetes has raised cholesterol as a symptom not a cause.

I reviewed these posters last week when the link was posted and was a little disappointed by this one and the lack of a poster advertising the low carb program the way there is one for the hypo aware program. Many of the others are quite good though.
Yes, I was looking for a Low Carb Program poster too.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an example to use as a reference to gauge lower relative levels of carb intake including the example that @Mr_Pot used.

Breakfast
28g 300ml of orange juice
54g cup of porridge - dry + milk and sugar
13g toast + marmalade

Lunch
36g 2 slices of ASDA thick crust pizza
51g chocolate doughnut
39g can of Coke

Mid Afternoon
40g tea and cake

Dinner
69g Home made chicken curry and rice
29g half a nan bread
24g Banana - medium

Evening snack
16g 25grams dried apricots

Total ~ 400grams of carbs

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
No, this is where one has been in a similar position before but the complete opposite has happened.
You of course are totally wrong in this but never mind, the french language is not one that allows much in the way of common usage
And the inverse of The term déjà vu which is French and means, literally, "already seen." Those who have experienced the feeling describe it as an overwhelming sense of familiarity with something that shouldn't be familiar at all. Say, for example, you are traveling to England for the first time. is Jamais vu. It's a French word meaning “never seen”. It's the feeling or experience that a person knows or recongnizes a situation, but that it still seems very unfamiliar or unknown.

You where probably alluding to some construct of your own.

Still I digress and will desist from going of topic.

As for diets of people in the past that didn't lead to T2 diabetes I can give an example of part of the diet consumed daily by my mother's great uncle in the 1800s

His daily breakfast consisted in part of 6 rashers of bacon, 6 sausages, 6 eggs and half a loaf of bread sliced and buttered. a quantity of milk and a pot of tea.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You of course are totally wrong in this but never mind, the french language is not one that allows much in the way of common usage
And the inverse of The term déjà vu which is French and means, literally, "already seen." Those who have experienced the feeling describe it as an overwhelming sense of familiarity with something that shouldn't be familiar at all. Say, for example, you are traveling to England for the first time. is Jamais vu. It's a French word meaning “never seen”. It's the feeling or experience that a person knows or recongnizes a situation, but that it still seems very unfamiliar or unknown.

You where probably alluding to some construct of your own.

Still I digress and will desist from going of topic.

As for diets of people in the past that didn't lead to T2 diabetes I can give an example of part of the diet consumed daily by my mother's great uncle in the 1800s

His daily breakfast consisted in part of 6 rashers of bacon, 6 sausages, 6 eggs and half a loaf of bread sliced and buttered. a quantity of milk and a pot of tea.
Yes, best left at that. I was trying to find a way around what I really wanted to say. It came out a bit too cryptically.

Reactions: JohnEGreen