Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Why wait till the week-end ?

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

debbiiee

I am staying in a hostel. I couldn't get leave from my institution to meet the doctor.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using DCUK Forum mobile app

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You might as well use the time to try correcting your highs and use that to check, and maybe revise, your correction ratio and your carb ratio. It is possible that you will be able to avoid going on to the Levemir if you can get those ratios right. Not a given but I don't know, maybe a 25% chance? If nothing else, the amount of correction dose you need over 24 hours will give you a good guide to the amount of Levemir to start on (the same amount per 24 hours).

Sorry you were stuck and not able to get to your doctor.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I am staying in a hostel. I couldn't get leave from my institution to meet the doctor.

Sorry to hear that - health is important

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

emikedbarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sure. I talked to my GP today. He asked to take levemir... I will probably start this weekend...

Hi

I saw this when I popped over.

Diabetes typically involves a host of other mechanisms that are slightly deranged and it takes a bit for everything to stabilize.

My waking BG is generally higher than my walking around BS. This tends to be the case for many low carb. eaters.

If you want you should set your clock to two hours before you usually wake and test your bs then to see if it is high. You might also want to check it an hour after you've wakened to see if it drops down.

A lot of things occur just before waking and in a person with an impaired metabolism, they can be quite surprising. This is to say that you should be conservative with the fast acting initially.

Reactions: 2 people

debbiiee

Thank you for the valuable advice. I am going to check BGs before waking & 2 hrs later as Mike said. I will share the results here.
Once again thank you so much Mike & Spiker:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

debbiiee

Are my blood levels okay?? After seeing this I feel basal is not that necessary. But even 1.5 hrs after waking the glucose level has not dropped. Anyhow I usually have my breakfast within 1 hour of waking up:) waiting for ur suggestions. Any thanks in advance:p

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could you state the insulin doses please, if any?

There is a definite dawn rise going on of +30 mg/dl

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are seeing some kind of rise overnight every night I would start basal now, but based on the lowest overnight rise (so 20 mg/dl).

Do you know by how much 1 unit of Novorapid insulin lowers your blood sugar? Divide 20mg/dl by that number and take that much overnight basal, I would suggest. This is fairly safe as Levemir is slightly less powerful unit for unit than Novorapid.

debbiiee

Today I had a conversation with my doctor over phone. I have sent him my BG values already. When I asked about the early morning rise of BG, he said its not dawn phenomenon as I am on very low doses of insulin. He added its just a lesser degree of dysglycemia of diabetes. But he said that taking basal may prevent this rise. I have my appointment tomorrow evening. I am going to have my lipid profile repeated:)

debbiiee

I too felt the same spiker:confused:
Anyhow I have to start my basal right? Let me see if it prevents this morning rise. I have read somewhere that even type 2 who are not treated with Insulin experience dawn phenomenon. If that's the case, being on low dose of insulin has nothing to do with this dawn phenomenon:oops:

Reactions: 2 people

debbiiee

Hi
From last July I had been drinking,weeing & eating a lot. But my weight came down & down, I lost almost 7 kgs so rapid. My parents are not diabetic, even my grand parents & I dont know any diabetic of my age. So I just left it out. But I had doubt that I might be diabetic bcos of all classical symptoms & I had my bloods checked. Fasting 224 & postprandial 440. Then got appointment to see endocrinologist & had all the tests done. HbA1c 13.5:eek: