If travel to France

Giraffe 95

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Does anyone know if having reactive hypoglycaemia exempts you from the not travelling with any meat or dairy into France?
The thought of not having any yogurt, cheese or meat when travelling for hours is overwhelming. How are you meant to avoid hypo?
Protein bars and nuts are ok for snacks, but all the things you are allowed to take- pasta, sandwich, cereal, banana, crisps, biscuits are what I would usually avoid. Thanks

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Ouch, I see your problem @Giraffe 95
  • Travellers are not allowed to bring in meat, milk or their products, unless they are coming with less than 10 kilograms of these products from the Faeroe Islands or Greenland

• There is also an exemption for powdered infant milk, infant food, and special foods or special pet feedrequired for medical reasons, if weighing less than 2 kilograms and provided that:
    • such products do not require refrigeration before opening
    • that they are packaged proprietary brand products for direct sale to the final consumer, and
    • the packaging is unbroken unless in current use

• For fishery products (including fish and certain shellfish such as prawns, lobsters, dead mussels and dead oysters), travellers are allowed to bring in up to 20 kilograms or the weight of one fish if this is higher. However, there is no such weight restriction for travellers coming from the Faeroe Islands or Greenland

Looks like fish is OK? Cans of tuna???

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Does anyone know if having reactive hypoglycaemia exempts you from the not travelling with any meat or dairy into France?
The thought of not having any yogurt, cheese or meat when travelling for hours is overwhelming. How are you meant to avoid hypo?
Protein bars and nuts are ok for snacks, but all the things you are allowed to take- pasta, sandwich, cereal, banana, crisps, biscuits are what I would usually avoid. Thanks
How are you traveling? If it's by boat or train, there's bound to be shops and restaurants on board (boat), or stops along the way (train). A flight is just an hour or so before landing somewhere with food courts, from a place with food courts... And it's France, if there's anything they've got all over there, it's cheese. Most bigger train stations have a McDonalds or something similar in it or near, where a bunless burger or two would work a treat. (Careful of salads, they differ per country and the dressings and other stuff added may be problematic. Here in the Netherlands, a side salad is fine, but I can't order a proper one for instance.).

First, find out whether your method of traveling has anything on board or on the way. And if you absolutely need to take something with you during the travel portion... Eat what you need, and throw out what you didn't need before going through customs again? Would that work? You can't take it into the country, but you might be able to send something back to the UK in a trashcan? And when you enter France, immediately pop into a shop with foodstuffs that agree with you. Google as much as you can beforhand so you know where to go, maybe, to lessen the stress of going abroad?

Good luck, and safe travels!
Jo

Giraffe 95

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the answers, very kind :)
Yes I wondered about vegetarian food- Falafel, hummus and nuts would be fine as long as could take
Plan to go on the ferry. Perhaps I would take some meat and cheese in case of a delay, and yes throw away before customs. I assume the customs check is the French side.

Giraffe 95

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonder if protein shakes count as dairy?
Problem is the information isn’t that detailed.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Plan to go on the ferry. Perhaps I would take some meat and cheese in case of a delay, and yes throw away before customs.
Don't count on anything useful to eat being on the ferry. I went from Hook of Holland to Harwich, counting on buying a bunless burger or such. Only possible if I bought the whole hamburger menu, chips and all so I went hungry (which is much better than hypo of course), I wasn't going to pay £13 or such for a single burger patty.

I wouldn't throw your food away before customs. On the off chance they want to check your stuff, just apologise and mumble something about not knowing and give it to them, otherwise be a smuggler. :jimlad:

Enjoy your trip!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't count on anything useful to eat being on the ferry. I went from Hook of Holland to Harwich, counting on buying a bunless burger or such. Only possible if I bought the whole hamburger menu, chips and all so I went hungry (which is much better than hypo of course), I wasn't going to pay £13 or such for a single burger patty.

I wouldn't throw your food away before customs. On the off chance they want to check your stuff, just apologise and mumble something about not knowing and give it to them, otherwise be a smuggler. :jimlad:

Enjoy your trip!
I sailed Portsmouth - Ouistraham last year, 1st time since rules changed, was camping so car was full of all my gear & was expecting at least a cursory check. They were pulling cars out of the queue into the port once through passport control for a check, but I wasn't one of them. France side the customs/passport control lady asked me what was under the sleeping bag which I told her & was waved through. Dover Calais/Dunkirk might be more thorough. I know coming back the would make me open my boot so the could have a good look that no one was hiding amongst me gear although I never had to do a complete unpack

• Agree
Reactions: filly and Antje77

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for all the answers, very kind :)
Yes I wondered about vegetarian food- Falafel, hummus and nuts would be fine as long as could take
Plan to go on the ferry. Perhaps I would take some meat and cheese in case of a delay, and yes throw away before customs. I assume the customs check is the French side.
I have taken the ferries to France on a few occasions.
Depending on duration, the longest was six (ish) hours, the one to Roskov or from Dover- Calais, which is an hour (ish) there is fresh food available.
So I wouldn't worry too much about the ferries.
It is getting to and from the terminal and waiting. The horror stories from the border is about the waiting time on both sides thanks to brexit.
I have travelled up and down the country in my last job. And taking protein is ideal, then of course there is the motorway stops and they to have fresh food on sale. It is only if you get stuck, take extra, especially water.

Then if I remember, you can fast, I'm too lazy to look!!!!
Fasting when travelling is not a bad idea, you can choose when you need to eat.
And the extra water is important if you do.

I can only remember once being close to a hypo, so I ate, as you would at home.

Good question about what you can carry.

Best wishes.
It is an adventure, isn't it?

Catkysydney

Hi,

Wow ! Meat or dairy …. So cheese is not OK ..
but can we buy some cheese at the airport ? I will go there in July…

• Optimistic
Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Wow ! Meat or dairy …. So cheese is not OK ..
but can we buy some cheese at the airport ? I will go there in July…
Once you are through security, there are food outlets to use before boarding.
Do not eat the in-flight rubbish. I can't describe it as food.

enjoy your travels.

Catkysydney

Once you are through security, there are food outlets to use before boarding.
Do not eat the in-flight rubbish. I can't describe it as food.

enjoy your travels.

Thank you very much for your confirmation, Lamont !
I would not eat the in-flight meal…, I will bring lots of nuts and homemade protein cake or even food, which I can eat even cold .. also some protein bars…
Atlins products are OK for Keto diet ???

• Friendly

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you very much for your confirmation, Lamont !
I would not eat the in-flight meal…, I will bring lots of nuts and homemade protein cake or even food, which I can eat even cold .. also some protein bars…
Atlins products are OK for Keto diet ???
I have no idea, never even heard of them.
As always check the label for carb content, and other ingredients that could be suspect for you.
If you're not sure, don't eat it. Be wary of some protein bars, as they use certain oils, like palm oil, vegetable fats and additives.
Can you eat and take some fruit?
Take care.

Catkysydney

I have no idea, never even heard of them.
As always check the label for carb content, and other ingredients that could be suspect for you.
If you're not sure, don't eat it. Be wary of some protein bars, as they use certain oils, like palm oil, vegetable fats and additives.
Can you eat and take some fruit?
Take care.

Thank you very much for replying my post, Lamont !
I think Dr Atkins was the first doctor recommended low carbs high protein diet ( I think 50 years ago ).
Their products are available in Australia. It is quite tasty , low carbs, less than 4g per a big bar usually, and high in protein (15g).
Some people says Atkins is not quite Keto , but close enough to me. Better than other protein bars. I eat it after exercise..
it is wrapped individually, so I think I can take them for my travel .. I want to keep Keto diet even when I am traveling. Keto is great to me ! I don’t have diarrhea, I had been suffering for 12 years since I had Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. What a relief! But if I eat more veggies, not very good for me.
High protein, high fat and extremely low carb diet is helping me . I really appreciate your experience and knowledge! Very valuable information all the time …

• Friendly

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That is good information.
Thanks for the thanks.
Keto is very good in now to keep our BG levels constant.
I will look up that syndrome and hopefully won't add it to my list.

Have you decided when you are travelling yet?
Let us know how you get on.

Catkysydney

That is good information.
Thanks for the thanks.
Keto is very good in now to keep our BG levels constant.
I will look up that syndrome and hopefully won't add it to my list.

Have you decided when you are travelling yet?
Let us know how you get on.

Thank you for your reply , Lamont !!

My partner wants to show me Europe, I have never been there , so we will go there this coming July.
Go to France , Italy , Netherland then UK .

My concern is France … I will eat meat as much as possible without bread . Keto is helping me , as you told me before I am trying to keep my blood sugar less than 7.0.. so far so good .

I sincerely appreciate your advice !!!

• Informative

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I assure you France is fine and far better in the supermarkets for good fresh food.
And if eating out, ask the chef or head waiter to get a low carb meal for you.
Enjoy your trip.
Let us know how you do.

Catkysydney

I assure you France is fine and far better in the supermarkets for good fresh food.
And if eating out, ask the chef or head waiter to get a low carb meal for you.
Enjoy your trip.
Let us know how you do.

Thank you very much ! Supermarket is a great idea !! It could be fun to find health food section in French..

• Optimistic

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you very much ! Supermarket is a great idea !! It could be fun to find health food section in French..
And don't forget, those on the continent speak better English than in the UK. Ha!
Been to many countries and you will find it fascinating and welcoming.
Most speak English as second language.