1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I'm back

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Irish Maeve, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Irish Maeve

Irish Maeve Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was last on here about 3 years ago. Still T2 but not doing so good lately. My meds have gone up over the years but lately I can't get my blood results to improve. Seeing my GP next week.

• Hug Hug x 6
  2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome back @Irish Maeve

Good move coming back and sure you’ll find some good support here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome back Maeve, do you have any particular questions we might be able to help you with prior to your appt?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Welcome back. Sorry to hear you're not doing so well. What meds are you on? Are you following a low carb diet or trying another approach.

It's hard as it is a lifelong condition but I'm sure you will get help and support here.

Do you regularly check your blood sugar levels? What are they at the moment?

Sorry that you are finding it tough- Let us know how we can best support you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi and welcome back. Have you thought about possibly being LADA and not T2? Assuming you are having a low-carb diet and not overweight then this is always possible as it was for me. My honeymoon period was around 10 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Irish Maeve

Hi. I'm trying to get to grips with replying to posts etc on here lol. I try to stick to low carb diet but not easy as atm I have a busy and stressful life. The meds I'm on per day now are: 1Gliclazide 30m. 1 Sitagliptin 100mg. 2 Metformin 500mg. Been on this for 3 yrs but for past 6 months my readings are high. Eg 10 or 9 in morning fasting. Even going really hungry they don't go below 8. Seeing Dr next week. I'm thinking stress might be a factor. Sorry for long text. PS. At last clinic in March my BP, cholesterol and blood were very high. This is the follow up appt.

• Hug Hug x 2
  7. Irish Maeve

Hi and thanks for your reply. I'm certainly not overweight - quite the opposite lol. Have always been slim and battle to retain weight. Need carbs to help with this so that's probably the culprit.

8. Reemap

Reemap · Well-Known Member

Hello,

Welcome back to the forum and as you are the old member you will be surely knowing the support you get from this forum. Have you tried cauliflower rice? But as you are on meds, you can go hypo with that as it’s extremelly low in carbs. I would say all the best for your appointment with doctor and hope to hear from you soon on the result.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Irish Maeve

I must try the cauliflower rice. Is the recipe on here somewhere? Still finding my way about lol. Will be back for follow up after my appt next week. Thank you. X

10. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Cauliflower rice is very easy. Just grate the cauliflower with a cheese grater or blitz it in a food processor, then stir fry it in a frying pan til it starts to brown slightly. You can add, salt and pepper or herbs and spices to taste :hungry:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Irish Maeve

Sounds tasty - and easy - my kind of food.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Reemap

Reemap · Well-Known Member

Yes it’s tasty . I eat it for lunch and dinner and it’s helping my BG to be normal range ..

13. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi again. Try to have fats and proteins where you can rather than carbs to help keep the weight up. You are on exactly the same meds I was on before I went on to insulin. As you have always been slim I would encourage you to follow-up on LADA being a possibility and have the two tests, GAD and C-Peptide, to see whether you have failing beta cells. The body will try to burn fat if it hasn't enough insulin to handle the carbs and this can cause weight loss.

14. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm now confused about the difference between LADA (which I assume is auto immune like standard T1) and worsening T2 due to a slowly failing pancreas.

Prompted by the 10 year honeymoon period.

15. Sapien

Sapien Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Does that mean you were misdiagnosed for 10 years? How high did your blood sugar go before you were properly diagnosed?

16. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello,

How did your doctor's appointment go?

If you like the idea of cauliflower rice you can also have cauliflower mash. My husband also makes me cauliflower and broccoli mash with cheese. It is delicious. He tends to make up a few portions and stores them in the fridge. I'm pretty sure they could be frozen also. They make the dinner very easy as I tend to have a steak or some fish with the mash.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook