Im confused

gabrielqx

Good afternoon.
I am an Italian boy of 14 years old from Trento who has been diagnosed with diabetes for 1 week. I'm waiting for blood tests for antibodies for type 1 diabetes, they told me I have to wait 2 weeks but it seems like a lot. Since the first day I have lowered the use of insulin so much and now I need very little and only 10 days have passed since hospitalization for diabetic coma. I was nearsighted and wore glasses for 7 years but suddenly last Tuesday my sight returned to 100% and today, after a week, I can still see well and live without glasses if not to see from a very far away. my sight has improved a lot and I don't know why. My doctor appointed me a 5% chance that I have diabetes mody. I wanted to ask why now I suddenly see it and even if it is normal to wait 2 weeks for blood results to find out if I have type 1 diabetes.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, welcome

This is so far above my pay grade I cant even attempt to help you, hopefully someone will come along that has some experience, well done for looking for answers, best of luck.

Reactions: EllieM

EBe66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Gabriel,

As I'm sure you have already found out, blurry vision is a sign of high blood glucose levels. And it improving after getting better regulated is somewhat normal. Not sure about just near sighted though.
Two weeks to just find out if you are a type 1 or 2 or... Seems excessive.
Anyway sounds like you are on the right way.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @gabrielqx and welcome to the forums. I'm sorry you have this diagnosis.

I think that a 1-2 week wait is unfortunately pretty normal for these tests (at least in the UK where many of our members come from).

As for the reduction in insulin needs, new T1s often have a honeymoon period where their pancreases helpfully (or not so helpfully) produce more insulin after they have been started treatment, and as a result may need little injected insulin.

As for the MODY, I don't know much about it, but it's good that your doctor is considering it as a possibility from the start, so you'll get a proper diagnosis if you aren't T1. My guess is that if this is the case you'll have to have yet more blood tests to determine the MODY type, unfortunately.

High blood sugars do affect vision, so you may need to wait and see whether your vision goes back to the old normal after a few weeks? I certainly would wait before investing in new glasses. Though I've got to admit that it seems strange to me that your vision changed after starting insulin rather than before.... Have you had a chance to ask your doctors?

And the good news amidst the bad : modern technology has transformed diabetic care from 100 years ago (when insulin was first disovered), 50 years ago (when there were no glucometers), There are now insulin pumps, pens and continuous glucose monitors. The future is bright for today's newly diagnosed young diabetic.

Once again, welcome.