Im Hanging Out For Sugar ,help Me Im Dying

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Once you reduce the "sugar" your taste buds should change. I did not use to eat much diary chocolate. I now have 100% Montezuma Dark Chocolate everyday about a third of a bar / 8 squares (I have been known to have half a bar (4 g of carbs)).

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I love our Antipodean friends on the forum, keeps things going through the Welsh nights when I can’t sleep!

I have four or five 100% Hotel Chocolat buttons broken into tiny pieces at bedtime, when I go up to read before going to sleep. 15g of those is about 1.2g carbs and more than satisfies my raging chocolate craving. You may need to work your way up to a cocoa content that high, but the longer you keep off the sugar, the more your taste buds change. I nicked a chip from my husband the other day and it just tasted like sugar... :yuck:

Keep on keeping on, you’ll get there x

Reactions: flexi06

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A lot of Aussies on here !,, :)

Dont we have our own Diabetes forum ??

I'm sure you could set your own site up....give you something to do to take your mind off cravings..........;)
Seriously, more protein and fat will reduce cravings and help you feel full longer.

Reactions: Prem51

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can sympathise. Last week when I went shopping, I spent about 10 minutes agonising over the lolly aisle - it's a whole aisle! I never noticed that before. I was trying to talking myself out of or into just one block of chocolate. So I managed to control myself - I would've ate the whole lot in the car - I could just imagine how good it was going to taste. Instead, I bought an 80g low carb, no sugar bag of licorice. ($4 for 80g - no wonder I'm poor.. people can't afford to buy houses ....... oh no wait - that's smashed avocado on toast!) Anyway, the licorice spiked my BG and it wasn't really that nice. I just followed a link in this discussion to a recipe, which sent me down the rabbit hole and I discovered a bunch of new recipes to try so thank you!

Anyway.. it's like one smoke.. you know it won't be (I quit 6 years ago, and I keep telling myself the only one I can't have is the first one - so far so good!) I am living proof you can get off drugs, alcohol, cigarettes - so chocolate - which could be a craving for either sugar or fat (the lady at fat club at the hospital years ago insisted cravings for chocolate were fat cravings) - piece of cake.. only not chocolate cake.. walk in the park.. but not to the 7/11! I know you're doing a whole lot better now on your delicious cabbage soup. Aussie Aussie Aussie..

Reactions: flexi06 and Prem51

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well i just bought some sugar free chewing gum called Extra, says its sugar free but its hard to believe them

Actually because it tastes sweet i had a look at the fine tiny writing on the sidecand it has sweetner as a ingredient so there they used another name for sugar :arghh:

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For some people, sweetener doesn't seem to do anything to their blood sugar. For others like me, I haven't found one which my stupid body doesn't interpret as actual sugar yet. From what I understand, you're better to train your body away from wanting really sweet things, because sweet things seem to make you crave more sweet things, and eventually you'll cave and eat something or a lot of somethings you probably shouldn't. So one of the things I'm working on with myself is a bit of a psychological thing. My family are quick to point out that I can't eat certain things, but I've started correcting them. I say "I can eat anything I want, I'm just choosing not to" which makes me feel less resentful and more in control. Not sure if that will help you at all :)

WombatType2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This is going to be one of my major challenges - sugar is (was?) a major food group for me. My weaknesses were chocolate, ice cream, PASTRIES!!

I had a tiny little piece of 90% chocolate last night and it was so thick and bitter... I think I'll lower it down to a 70% and just have one/two little pieces every now and then. :nailbiting:

I'll miss you Maltesers!

Reactions: flexi06 and Prem51

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I miss my ice cream, chocolate rum n rasin, my cream lamingtons, ironically my parents never had a sweet tooth, so not sure how come i did.

Only started eating sweet stuff when i moved out of home.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is going to be one of my major challenges - sugar is (was?) a major food group for me. My weaknesses were chocolate, ice cream, PASTRIES!!

I had a tiny little piece of 90% chocolate last night and it was so thick and bitter... I think I'll lower it down to a 70% and just have one/two little pieces every now and then. :nailbiting:

I'll miss you Maltesers!
You might find it easier to wean yourself across gradually - start with a lower dark chocolate and gradually work up to the 90%. I find the 70% Choceur range from Aldi is pretty good. I actually prefer the Lindt 90% now. Amazing how quickly you can train taste buds.

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont crave sugar anymore , whats it been about 2 weeks i guess since i had my last chocolate and i went thru terrible addiction but now i guess my taste buds are changing,still if anyone offered me a Mars bar i would take it !!!!

gandalfmick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The way i did itwas that i consider everything with sugar a poison for me and just not touch them its all in youre mind take care of that problem sorted you can use xylitol i think its the healthiest sweetener arround

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The way i did itwas that i consider everything with sugar a poison for me and just not touch them its all in youre mind take care of that problem sorted you can use xylitol i think its the healthiest sweetener arround
Just be aware that xylitol is highly toxic to animals - I use erythritol instead.

gandalfmick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
you need to monitor sugar intake that means nothing with sugar sometimes fruits in the evening like an apple it reduces the lowblood sugar effect during the night use a blood sugar monitor until you thing you can control il and GET USED TO IT IF YOU HAVE DIABETES NO MORE SUGARS
Or try to use only natural ones fructosis found in fruits but be limited in quantity cas it is still sugar
GOOD LUCK

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that having sugar free jelly, thick cream and a small amount of chocolate chopped small - I use a big sharp knife on chocolate from the fridge - makes me think that I have had something really chocolaty - I use red jelly as that seems to add to the illusion.

D

Deleted member 308541

I find that having sugar free jelly, thick cream and a small amount of chocolate chopped small - I use a big sharp knife on chocolate from the fridge - makes me think that I have had something really chocolaty - I use red jelly as that seems to add to the illusion.
Sounds like a pretend Cherry Ripe / Turkish Delight hybrid bar. :D

M

Moggely

Another aussie here as well, i actually did go cold turkey off everything but strangely was never into chocolate . My husband found the 90% chocolate and it's my favorite sweet. Agree with Resurgram i have had the same. Yum.:happy: