Im Hanging Out For Sugar ,help Me Im Dying

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:***:Right now i would kill for a chocolate bar:woot: , i have been on this veggie diet for a week now and every now and again i hang out for some sort of sugar

Last night i was even going to walk to the 711 to get a chocolate bar at midnight but on seeing a few drunks shouting in my street i thought otherwise and went to bed craving sugar:(

I was ok in the morning but now its afternoon here ( Public holiday Queens birthday) im craving sugar again, i feel a little depressed, i feel more happy if i had a big cadbury rum n raisin chocolate bar eating it whilst watching TV

As its a public holiday and the Queens birthday i have tried keeping busy going to gym a few times etc but im still, craving sugar !!!

Do u think one big chocolate bar will make a difference? I will probaly make it my last one ever

Do u think the craving will go away if i just wait a few hours? In pain hanging out for choc:depressed:

Last edited:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Do u think one big chocolate bar will make a difference? I will probaly make it my last one ever

Do u think the craving will go away if i just wait a few hours? In pain hanging out for choc:depressed:

One Australian to another .... it won't help and I'm not here to provide absolution but that bar you so crave will not be your last .... you're not in the best shape as it is. Neither are you in pain. Dig deep and I haven't touched one since diagnosis and have zero interest now even if I was NOT diabetic. Buy some nuts

Your diet would make for interesting reading.

Reactions: flexi06

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
High cocoa content (80% cocoa or more) dark chocolate is ok, it doesn't contain much sugar or carbs. But a whole bar wouldn't be advisable. A couple of squares are enough.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is just a temporary thing. As Prem says switch to 80% chocolate and you will get used to that and won't want the other stuff again. I have 99% choc now as it's less carbs but it took me a while to work up to that.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Another Aussie to another. Have dark, high % cocoa and just a couple of squares. Account for the content in your carb allowance in your meal and she'll be apples. I'm having one tonight just for the long weekend with a glass of red.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Yes, sugar is addictive. The urge for chocolate does go away but you need at least a couple of weeks (months?) before the cravings subside. I agree with the "dark chocolate" suggestions but beware in case it's a gateway drug.:)

I gave up stuff with added sugar a couple of years ago and it took a while before I stopped having wistful thoughts about maltezers. (As a type 1 diabetioc, I occasionally have to have sugar when my blood sugar goes too low, so I can't go completely cold turkey on sugar.)

Have some nuts!

Reactions: Prem51

bigsi1984

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have a couple of squares of Lindt 90% cocoa. Nice with a hot drink and scratches an itch. Keep the faith, you'll get there.

Reactions: Moggely and Prem51

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One Aussie to another Aussie:

Chopper says... (Warning: don't watch if you don't like swearing)

*Edited by a moderator to remove offensive video.

:joyful: :cool:

Reactions: Fenn

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Fenn that there is absolutely no need to go 'cold turkey' on sweet stuff, if you decide to dramatically change your way of eating because of T2.

If you google 'low carb chocolate bar recipe' or 'low carb mug cake recipe' or 'low carb anything recipe' you will be astonished at the various options that come up. There are even low carb pizza recipes (search for 'fat head pizza recipe'). Sometimes the ingredients seem a little off the wall to start with, but such foods make a very pleasant transition from one mindset to another.

Of course, if you are focusing on Low Calorie and Low Fat at the same time, then these foods may be over your cal/fat budgets, but at least you will know that T2 does NOT mean the end to all luxurious foods and enjoyable snacks and treats.

Reactions: EllieM

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @Fenn that there is absolutely no need to go 'cold turkey' on sweet stuff, if you decide to dramatically change your way of eating because of T2.

If you google 'low carb chocolate bar recipe' or 'low carb mug cake recipe' or 'low carb anything recipe' you will be astonished at the various options that come up. There are even low carb pizza recipes (search for 'fat head pizza recipe'). Sometimes the ingredients seem a little off the wall to start with, but such foods make a very pleasant transition from one mindset to another.

Of course, if you are focusing on Low Calorie and Low Fat at the same time, then these foods may be over your cal/fat budgets, but at least you will know that T2 does NOT mean the end to all luxurious foods and enjoyable snacks and treats.

I agree with @Brunneria I have a whole cupboard of weird and wonderful ingredients now. Here’s one of my favourites:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-chocolate-peanut-squares

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
:***:Right now i would kill for a chocolate bar:woot: , i have been on this veggie diet for a week now and every now and again i hang out for some sort of sugar.... In pain hanging out for choc:depressed:

Can you make your own?
Like @Rachox, I have a cupboard full of odd ingredients such as coconut oil, cacao butter and cacao powder.

Lots of recipes on the web. Here are a couple:

https://www.verywellfit.com/delicious-low-carb-chocolate-recipes-4147297

https://lowcarbyum.com/dairy-free-coconut-chocolate-fudge-recipe/

Suggest you check the ingredients and nutritional info like carb count.

Good luck.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
:***:Right now i would kill for a chocolate bar:woot: , i have been on this veggie diet for a week now and every now and again i hang out for some sort of sugar

Last night i was even going to walk to the 711 to get a chocolate bar at midnight but on seeing a few drunks shouting in my street i thought otherwise and went to bed craving sugar:(

I was ok in the morning but now its afternoon here ( Public holiday Queens birthday) im craving sugar again, i feel a little depressed, i feel more happy if i had a big cadbury rum n raisin chocolate bar eating it whilst watching TV

As its a public holiday and the Queens birthday i have tried keeping busy going to gym a few times etc but im still, craving sugar !!!

Fill yourself up with protein, til you can eat no more. I use peanut butter and great for my fbg numbers.

Norman Stanley

Pop into Woolies or Coles and buy yourself some Well Naturally Chocolate bars. They are not too expensive and have far fewer carbs than regular chocolate and actually taste pretty good. I sometimes have one of the 45 gram bars as a treat. They are quite similar to normal chocolate like Cadbury and have a similar number of kilojoules because they basically are normal chocolates with artificial sweetener instead of sugar. The carbs for comparison are: Cadbury Milk Chocolate - 64.5 grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams, Well Naturally Chocolate - 10.4 grams per 100 grams (less than 16% of regular chocs).

This is not to say you should just go ahead and eat as much as you want, far from it because they will still affect your blood sugars to a degree, just not nearly as much as regular chocolates. So you can eat a small amount as part of a well-planned diabetic diet. If you can't trust yourself not to binge on them then don't buy more than a couple at a time.

Meanwhile try to learn more about diabetic friendly foods available to you.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
... and in the context of total members, Australians are few in number

CalvinHobbes

I have been on the Keto diet for six weeks and, every evening, I have 2 squares of Lindt 90% chocolate. This works out at 2.8g carbs (of which 1.4g is sugar). I break the squares in half and eat each piece with a SMINT mint (0.7 carbs per mint). So, a total of 5.6 carbs for this treat.

I keep the chocolate in the fridge and I let it melt in my mouth rather than wolfing it down. This way, it takes about 10 minutes to consume the 2 squares. Also, the SMINT takes away the bitterness and makes it taste like mint chocolate. Basically, I am trying to fool my body into thinking that I'm eating more chocolate than I really am.

So far, this has worked for me - I've not been tempted to eat "normal" chocolate.