Inadvertently reversing T2D??

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi again,

Things have been going well since adopting LCHF diet, latest check up results - HbA1c down from 45 to 36, total cholesterol down to 4.1 from 5.8 (was 7.8 in 2015) and blood pressure down to lower end of normal range and I'd like to thank all of you that have helped directly or if I have just read your valuable advice :)

When I was first diagnosed 7 years ago, I was 105-110 Kgs and after adopting the low GI diet, lost 20ish Kgs and stayed at about 80-85 till last few months where I have have gone down to 72Kgs. I was always skinny as a child and the weight I put on later in life was mainly round the mid-rift, neck and face. Since adopting the LCHF, the weight has dropped from my belly and neck/lower face. I have a very sedantry job as I travel around the UK and basically sit in a car, or an office or in front of a laptop most of the day, but I have started to get out and walk to do the shopping rather than driving.

When I first started checking BG levels, things like wholemeal bread would spike me from 5.5 fasting to 13-14, but just before Christmas, whilst travelling for work, I ate a wholemeal sandwich from Tesco for lunch (had to eat something) and after 2 hours my BG was 8.7. I decided to double check on things and have found since that pasta, homemade chips, rice are all much lower than they were before, less than 3.0 point increase and all below 8.5. I'm starting to think that the weight loss has improved my tolerance to carbs, but am very cautious as I don't want to go back to low energy, brain fog and increased joint pain I had suffered before.

But, to be honest, if this is the case, it would help an awful lot with balancing my diet and work commitments. Not that I want to go back to eating sugary rubbish, but every now and then being able to grab a sandwich or have a baked potato at lunch whilst rushing to the next meeting.

Part of me is now thinking Newcastle Diet could be a real option and I wonder what you guys think?

Best wishes, Daren.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations Darren, well done!!!

My current A1c is 46 (6.4%) hopefully it has also gone down.

My latest HBA1C result is now 38 (Feb 2018)!

Last edited:

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again,

Things have been going well since adopting LCHF diet, latest check up results - HbA1c down from 45 to 36, total cholesterol down to 4.1 from 5.8 (was 7.8 in 2015) and blood pressure down to lower end of normal range and I'd like to thank all of you that have helped directly or if I have just read your valuable advice :)

When I was first diagnosed 7 years ago, I was 105-110 Kgs and after adopting the low GI diet, lost 20ish Kgs and stayed at about 80-85 till last few months where I have have gone down to 72Kgs. I was always skinny as a child and the weight I put on later in life was mainly round the mid-rift, neck and face. Since adopting the LCHF, the weight has dropped from my belly and neck/lower face. I have a very sedantry job as I travel around the UK and basically sit in a car, or an office or in front of a laptop most of the day, but I have started to get out and walk to do the shopping rather than driving.

When I first started checking BG levels, things like wholemeal bread would spike me from 5.5 fasting to 13-14, but just before Christmas, whilst travelling for work, I ate a wholemeal sandwich from Tesco for lunch (had to eat something) and after 2 hours my BG was 8.7. I decided to double check on things and have found since that pasta, homemade chips, rice are all much lower than they were before, less than 3.0 point increase and all below 8.5. I'm starting to think that the weight loss has improved my tolerance to carbs, but am very cautious as I don't want to go back to low energy, brain fog and increased joint pain I had suffered before.

But, to be honest, if this is the case, it would help an awful lot with balancing my diet and work commitments. Not that I want to go back to eating sugary rubbish, but every now and then being able to grab a sandwich or have a baked potato at lunch whilst rushing to the next meeting.

Part of me is now thinking Newcastle Diet could be a real option and I wonder what you guys think?

Best wishes, Daren.

Instead of whole meal bread, try the
Lidl high protein roll.

It’s 9.6g of carb and it’s filling.
Triangular in shape available at Lidl store.

But I suggest test before and 2 hours later to check!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just out of curiosity, what’s your daily fasting bg level readings like?

4.5 - 5.5 ?

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just out of curiosity, what’s your daily fasting bg level readings like?

4.5 - 5.5 ?

Hi, fasting is usually between 5.4 - 6.0. I think sometimes it’s due to the cordial I drink during the day/night.

I did try the Lidl rolls but wasn’t impressed and to be honest, I can be away from home for 2-3 days so difficult to manage.

Thanks

sunnybouy77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Excellent, good encouragement for the rest of us. I find my BG goes up during exercise due to the body being stressed I'm told. I was always stressed at work, no wonder I was sitting at 13 when tested last August. Christmas was a challenge as spikes around 11 were happening, but i didn't think that was really bad considering all the treats I ate. Soon came down to 7 with a good walk. Bg been good since then, and just started gym this week, have a stone to lose as I'm 6 ', I 7 stone

Reactions: darenu

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You must be well-chuffed with the progress so far; good for you on sticking with it.

As far as increasing / the occasional higher carb meal, the only thing I would mention (which you've already acknowledge for yourself anyway) is to be careful of "carb creep". It can so easily grow from "occasional" to "once a week" or more - and before you know it, you're regularly having more carbs than are best for your target BS numbers. I speak from a bit of experience here - a few months back I wasn't as careful carb-counting as I should have been, and it was a while before I noticed that higher carbs had become a regular thing - even though my numbers were still in range. I had to cut back and give myself a good shaking!!

Re the Newcastle Diet, there are a couple of people following it at the moment; and they seem to be getting quite good results. Perhaps take a look in the Low Calorie" sub-forum, under the main heading Food & Nutrition, and have a read of their progress. Might be of help to you.

Reactions: Arlmy and darenu

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again,

Best wishes, Daren.

I guess if you asked Professor Roy Taylor, he'd say that absolutely the loss of fat from the midriff has probably coincided with loss of fat from the pancreas, and explains your increased tolerance to carbs.

Other people would say that your increased tolerance to carbs is because you've been improving your insulin resitance by eating LCHF.

Nobody can know for sure of course as you haven't been getting tested / scanned regularly. I'm sure a lot of people would love to see what's going on inside!

I feel similarly to you in that I'd like to be able to increase my safety margins with food and be able to eat carby things occasionally. Also I'm quite cautious because I can see that being a super-power that could quickly get me back into trouble.

If I were in your position, I'd make a decision based on how healthy I thought my current weight was, and what approach is most likely to help you lose the 'last bit' of weight. I've just started the ND, not because I think it's an optimal way to lose weight or improve insulin resistance, but because I could do with something rigid to stick to for a while.

Reactions: Salvia

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is no reason to think that the outcome from a long time on LCHF will be any different then from the Newcastle Diet. First, the fat from the liver is lost, then the fat from the beta cells. I like LCHF, as even if there is no reverse it is a great way to eat for life with good BG levels.

Other people would say that your increased tolerance to carbs is because you've been improving your insulin resitance by eating LCHF.

This improved insulin resistance is mostly due to losing fat from the liver.

Without a fasting insulin test, it is hard to judge if a diet is keeping insulin levels from going too high. Personally, I now expect that provided I avoid all high sugar drinks (include juice) and always keep to low carb for breakfast and one other meal a day, my body will cope with a normal meal. But I now like my low carb food too much, so will only be increasing carbs when eating out, and we don't eat out often.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Darenu - Really well done on what appears to be a great overall improvement in your well-being across blood glucose, weight, mental outlook (less brain fog etc.) and your moving around a bit more.

Many folks face similar challenges to yourself regards travelling around and eating "on the hoof". If you're usually heading to Tesco in those circumstances, there are usually plenty of options open - from their protein post (hard boiled eggs and spinach), to cripsy bacon strips (yummmm), to deli meats to cooked chicken, which could be hot from their rotisserie or cold from the chiller cabinets.

As someone who is gluten free, plus LC, I have worked out ways of avoiding the baked goods. Sometimes it's a pain, but usually doable.

If you're looking to see off the remainder of any extra weight you carry, it's yourr choice whether you do it by LC or something more structured like The Newcastle Diet.

A big well done from me.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Congratulations; Those figures you looks like your diabetes may be almost gone!. You didn’t mention exercise though; maybe concentrate on this. All of of the posts (to date) look like good advice.

davidopong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again,

Best wishes, Daren.
Wow. I am really inspired by your achievements. I believe now more than ever that I will get there. Thanks for sharing

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree and see the best course of action is to carry on LCHF, take more exercise and look to loose that last bit of belly fat. Any carbs will be due to necessity. I too enjoy most of the LCHF food I eat, especially when eating out with colleagues/friends and I order steak and side veg and then melt butter over the steak and mix all the veg in the fat juices. The look on their faces as I explain how my cholesterol has plummeted

This is a real mental change for me. Growing up skinny, eating pretty much anything and any amount and wanting to put weight on and ending up fairly ill due to this.

But due to this site, I look like I have reduced my insulin resistance, have better energy levels, reduced joint pain/stopped taking Tramadol and have given up a 35 year smoking habit!

And the best thing of all, after stressing about my GP appointment, she agreed and said I obviously had an issue with carbohydrates and then showed me a book she was reading on low carb diet!!

Thanks again, Daren

[/QUOTE]

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

For me personally, having done 6 weeks of VLCD (mainly veg rather than meal replacement, but still less than 800 cals) last year and just 3 weeks into having another go, hopefully longer than 6 weeks, I can report the following:

BG now 6 - 8 most of the time (FS Libre a godsend) and I'm 10 kgs lighter (7kgs since January 1st) and my insulin resistance is lower than a year ago. I have a long way to go weight wise and I'm very aware of what happens when I start to increase protein intake (meat, fish etc). I don't miss what I call the obvious carbs, bread, pasta, potato and rice, although bread may creep back but only as a treat at weekends (poached eggs much better with toast).

I'm having my regular check at the end of February and will also go for insulin resistance and c-pep blood test at Geneva Labs (self funded). Just to see how things are progressing.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Near 60, thought I never be in a gym again, it does feel wonderful though
I wish you came to my gym. It is 99.9% populated by students and at 75 I am old enough to be their great great grandmother. Another MATURE person would be welcome company.

Reactions: sunnybouy77

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish you came to my gym. It is 99.9% populated by students and at 75 I am old enough to be their great great grandmother. Another MATURE person would be welcome company.
You deserve several winner awards for going to the gym. Have you always exercised or is this recent? I have found a new inspiration!

Jilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
She I was first diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes I had a hbc1 level of 130 now I have it down to 64 but seem to have stalled. I was slender to begin with and was advised to put in weight becsuse i was so slender. Any suggestions on how I can kick start my journey again. Jill

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You deserve several winner awards for going to the gym. Have you always exercised or is this recent? I have found a new inspiration!
Goodness! now I am even keener to welcome you to our gym! I did very little exercise in my youth, except swimming. In my family exercise was regarded as rather a waste of time. You could not earn money by exercising. Later I dipped in and out of exercise: mountaineering, rock climbing, jogging, skiing. I do wish now I had been more consistent as there were also periods when I did very little. Long before gyms were opened for the general public I was lucky enough to enrol in an evening class called "mixed weight training". It was only when I arrived at the class and saw a whole roomful of men staring at me in amazement that I realised that I was the mix! The trainer gave us a wonderful grounding in the basics, which has stood me in good stead ever since. I alternate weight training in the gym days with running round the park ones and enjoy both enormously.

Last edited:
Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I alternate weight training in the gym days with running round the park ones and enjoy both enormously.[/QUOTE]
As I said earlier, you are an inspiration. Afraid I can't take up your offer of being a gym buddy for 2 good reasons. Firstly, too far to travel from the fens. Secondly, and more importantly, your back story and present vigour shames most of us. Best i can manage is finally learning to swim @ 62 and using my own gym and doing my 14k steps daily. I salute you and pray I can match your desire at your age.

Last edited: