ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
So following the saga of my foot check/ reduced strip allocation I went in today to see if blood results were back.
They are. But receptionist won't tell me or let me have a print out. I point out that they gave me one last year and it helps me keep track. She says she will have to ask the doctor and I can come back some other day - er, no, I have a life!
She says, there is a note here saying get doctor to call you about the results. Me: which test is that for? Her: serum...
Me: Yes but what for?
Her: doctor will call you on Monday.
Me: it would really help to know what result we are talking about, these are my results.
Her: doctor will tell you.
What!

What is going on with these GP practices? We all want the same. Good health.
I've got news for them without our strife improvements won't be made! Durr!

Mine has referred me to investigate my back due to horrendous pain stopping me walking now.
He told me I have anemia but I couldn't discuss it with him due to too much pain, even standing.
I cannot walk now!
I'm heart broken. He offered me old tramadol but better than codeine (which did nothing) but pain is huge. Tramadol takes the breathtaking pain edge off. No more. I haven't tried to walk out as I have pain from suspected gallbladder problem too. Any movement causes me pain but horrific trying to walk.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
were you on Naproxen @ickihun ? it caused anemia in my husband and he had to stop taking it. Once he did so, his blood count went back to normal.

and have they checked you for any internal bleeding?

Reactions: ickihun

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m having a similar issue trying to get my HbA1c result from my GP surgery. It’s in, but they won’t tell me what it is until a doctor has reviewed it. I had it done for my hospital (diabetes clinic) appointment on Monday, I’m not even under GP care for my diabetes. It’s so frustrating. I just want to know the number so I can go in prepared on Monday - this result determines whether or not I’ve reduced my HbA1c enough to keep my Libre prescription long term.
I rang at two, as instructed. The doctor still hasn’t okayed it. I asked the receptionist if she could just tell me if it was below 62 (my target to get below) and she wouldn’t. I now have to call after 4... I’m not sure I can bear going all weekend without knowing!

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So following the saga of my foot check/ reduced strip allocation I went in today to see if blood results were back.
They are. But receptionist won't tell me or let me have a print out. I point out that they gave me one last year and it helps me keep track. She says she will have to ask the doctor and I can come back some other day - er, no, I have a life!
She says, there is a note here saying get doctor to call you about the results. Me: which test is that for? Her: serum...
Me: Yes but what for?
Her: doctor will call you on Monday.
Me: it would really help to know what result we are talking about, these are my results.
Her: doctor will tell you.
Our surgery will not tell you your results face to face something to do with “data protection “ but I am lucky enough to stay in Scotland and have signed up to My Diabetes, My Way. All my results are available there.

Reactions: eggs11

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Diakat I was advised to change drs but he has been great for many things for the whole family.
I think he was hoping I'd had bariatric surgery by now.
Referral to muscle skeletal, I'm hoping for a MRI. Please God. I need to know what's going on!
You too.
I bet keeping us in the dark stops inquisition....in some.

I told psychologist I need to know more or it makes me ill. She noted it all.
Bariatric team and diabetes team are brilliant with info and advice.

I just need my GP to do my print offs too. The old practice nurse said she couldn't do it.
Maybe I need to show them how a PC works? For free!

Reactions: Diakat

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I rang at two, as instructed. The doctor still hasn’t okayed it. I asked the receptionist if she could just tell me if it was below 62 (my target to get below) and she wouldn’t. I now have to call after 4... I’m not sure I can bear going all weekend without knowing!
Its strange isn't it.
My gp didn't give me it. Luckily dn called me back over higher BG concerns and she had it available. She didn't mention anemia thou, that GP told me of this morning. I wasn't too interested as I was in total agony.
Tramadol is being relied on for far too long, for me. Its better than codeine but just because it takes the sharp pain away so I can stand without shaking. I can see why people get addicted to painkillers!
Luckily having abdominal scan on Monday morning after I called x-ray to say gp said 2wk rule not none urgent one. He pressed the wrong button?
They are human too so I forgive human error but not neglect.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Aye, they are only human. And they have to stick to the rules. However what is just a job to some people in the medical profession (by no means all), is so, so important to the patient. While our NHS is wonderful and I feel so lucky to have the care that I do, sometimes the people who are your first line of contact for healthcare are seriously lacking in empathy.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
My surgery have generally been excellent until this year. I think they are under pressure to cut costs. It just seems odd that they won't even tell me which result is "off" so I can react with sensible questions on Monday. And print outs have never been an issue before.
@ickihun Hope you manage until Mon.
@Mel dCP fingers crossed they call.

Reactions: ickihun

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fantastic, thank you.
I am also treated at a clinic (Guildford Cedar Centre). The reason I changed from my closer local hospital was that I could get an instantaneous HBA1c result which made my chat with the consultant somewhat more informed. The subsequent letter from consultant to GP is always copied to me. It sounds as if the receptionist is rather ignorant rather than being deliberately obstructive. Perhaps you can ask that they do click a button that allows you to know the result (unless ALL results are for doctor's eyes only). Its not like you cannot interpert it yourself or are going to be sent into a blind panic! Good luck.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
were you on Naproxen @ickihun ? it caused anemia in my husband and he had to stop taking it. Once he did so, his blood count went back to normal.

and have they checked you for any internal bleeding?
No.
No check. Awaiting abdominal scan on Monday morning. Will it show on that? Would my poo be black if internal bleeding? It's no longer clay colour. It's hard to tell as wee is dark.
Blood test blood was dark. I thought was a good sign but low in oxygen (anemia). I guess why my breathing is bad and not asthma?
Hoping scan reveals more.
Hoping for a MRI on back pain from appointment within 6wks. Nurse at A&E hinted on MRI from musculoskeletal depot actioned by GP.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've had a thought @Mel dCP. Obviously no big concern to them so must be a good one? What are you guessing it should be? I guessed mine at 56 and it was 58. From my excellent 48 in summer. Mind u I'm normally more active in summer. Normally.

What are you guessing at?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've had a thought @Mel dCP. Obviously no big concern to them so must be a good one? What are you guessing it should be? I guessed mine at 56 and it was 58. From my excellent 48 in summer. Mind u I'm normally more active in summer. Normally.

What are you guessing at?
Well, before Christmas it was 89 - I’ve got to drop it by 27 to keep my Libre prescription. The MySugr app is giving me an estimate of 38; the LibreView software 39.

Thing is, until I know for certain, I’m on edge - I’m on the autism spectrum and don’t cope with not knowing and having to wait like this! Knowing the answer is there but won’t be given to me is quite difficult. My brain doesn’t handle moving goalposts very well!

It’s not serious in the great scheme of things, others have far more on their plate. I hope you get the answers you need xxx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Diakat - When I saw one of the partners at my surgery when I broke my leg (OK, I exaggerate, I turned my ankle!) a few months ago, I asked if I could have the paperwork to sort out my annual HbA1c as it was just about due.

He printed off the form and as he was handing it to me, gave me the usual chant or "call in 5-7 days for the results". I reassured him it was OK, I'd look online and do self-service.

He had absolutely no idea. No idea that such a system existed, never mind that people would want to do that, rather than ccall and go through all that pleading nonsense. He thought I'd lost the plot, until I explained it to him.

Fortunately, I usually see another Doc who is much more savvy. Spoke with her Tuesday this week, bloods drawn Wednesday, and most of the results online to view by yesterday lunchtime. Just the Coeliac and thyroid profiles to come back.

Sometimes I think we live in parallel universes.

Reactions: dbr10

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well, before Christmas it was 89 - I’ve got to drop it by 27 to keep my Libre prescription. The MySugr app is giving me an estimate of 38; the LibreView software 39.

Thing is, until I know for certain, I’m on edge - I’m on the autism spectrum and don’t cope with not knowing and having to wait like this! Knowing the answer is there but won’t be given to me is quite difficult. My brain doesn’t handle moving goalposts very well!

It’s not serious in the great scheme of things, others have far more on their plate. I hope you get the answers you need xxx
And your GP practice should know your susceptible to anxiety due to your condition. Humf!

Mind u I think they are going to love your improvements. Well done.
Post it as soon as you know. You deserve the accolade for such hard work achieving lower hba1c. ;)
You have me excited for you now! Maybe you'll have a different receptionist on Monday. Do you have to call after 2pm like our practice rules?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
And your GP practice should know your susceptible to anxiety due to your condition. Humf!

Mind u I think they are going to love your improvements. Well done.
Post it as soon as you know. You deserve the accolade for such hard work achieving lower hba1c. ;)
You have me excited for you now! Maybe you'll have a different receptionist on Monday. Do you have to call after 2pm like our practice rules?

I’m hoping it’s improved enough, I’ve only had the sensor for eight weeks. And the three months it covers includes Christmas...

And yes, I have to phone between half a second past 2:17 and two seconds past ;) Of course I’ll let you all know, you’ve all been so supportive, thank you xxx

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sparrow456
Have checked, they offer online bookings and online repeat prescriptions (apparently- never been informed of this) but not access to results/records.

But I will be asking why not.
My GP surgery is the same - can only make appointments or order repeat prescriptions

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My receptionist thinks I don’t need any strips because I use Libre... :sour: When I said I need them for driving she suggested I use the bus to save the NHS money!
Gobsmacked at that !:mad: What a cheeky cow !

Reactions: DJC3