Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
So following the saga of my foot check/ reduced strip allocation I went in today to see if blood results were back.
They are. But receptionist won't tell me or let me have a print out. I point out that they gave me one last year and it helps me keep track. She says she will have to ask the doctor and I can come back some other day - er, no, I have a life!
She says, there is a note here saying get doctor to call you about the results. Me: which test is that for? Her: serum...
Me: Yes but what for?
Her: doctor will call you on Monday.
Me: it would really help to know what result we are talking about, these are my results.
Her: doctor will tell you.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you able to sign up for the online portal with your records at your GP? I believe if you do this you just get access to results like this when they're available.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m having a similar issue trying to get my HbA1c result from my GP surgery. It’s in, but they won’t tell me what it is until a doctor has reviewed it. I had it done for my hospital (diabetes clinic) appointment on Monday, I’m not even under GP care for my diabetes. It’s so frustrating. I just want to know the number so I can go in prepared on Monday - this result determines whether or not I’ve reduced my HbA1c enough to keep my Libre prescription long term.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Are you able to sign up for the online portal with your records at your GP? I believe if you do this you just get access to results like this when they're available.
They don't offer it.

Reactions: veggirl

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I’m having a similar issue trying to get my HbA1c result from my GP surgery. It’s in, but they won’t tell me what it is until a doctor has reviewed it. I had it done for my hospital (diabetes clinic) appointment on Monday, I’m not even under GP care for my diabetes. It’s so frustrating. I just want to know the number so I can go in prepared on Monday - this result determines whether or not I’ve reduced my HbA1c enough to keep my Libre prescription long term.
So annoying. Similarly my diabetes care is at diabetic clinic. Hope you get your result soon.

Reactions: LooperCat

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooooh - trying to be awkward with me would not work - a couple of decades ago I took a seriously ill child for an emergency appointment and the receptionist told me it would turn out to be nothing - I repeated what she said to the doctor and did not see her again.
If a receptionist told me that I could not have my results but to wait to be called on Monday - I would be out - all day.
It can't be anything serious or important - can it - if it isn't even worth telling me the results of the test it must be just something to waste my time - I shall be out Monday - and Tuesday - probably the rest of the week as well - unless you'd like to print out my test results so I can judge for myself....
I am turning into a very sparky old lady - I might need to get a tee shirt printed with a warning to the world.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Ooooh - trying to be awkward with me would not work - a couple of decades ago I took a seriously ill child for an emergency appointment and the receptionist told me it would turn out to be nothing - I repeated what she said to the doctor and did not see her again.
If a receptionist told me that I could not have my results but to wait to be called on Monday - I would be out - all day.
It can't be anything serious or important - can it - if it isn't even worth telling me the results of the test it must be just something to waste my time - I shall be out Monday - and Tuesday - probably the rest of the week as well - unless you'd like to print out my test results so I can judge for myself....
I am turning into a very sparky old lady - I might need to get a tee shirt printed with a warning to the world.
I am out on Monday - I'm at work. Apparently my mobile will be called. I fully intend answering and being difficult.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
This may be of help to you - information below taken from a leaflet dated 2016.

What can I do if my GP refuses access to my medical record? A refusal to grant medical records access can be challenged through an official complaint to the NHS Trust or social services department concerned or via the Information Commissioner’s Office (01625 54 57 45).

I would also ask my MP to speak to the local health authority as they can normally get through to "the right people" who won't answer the phone to general public.
Fantastic, thank you.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Sparrow456
Have checked, they offer online bookings and online repeat prescriptions (apparently- never been informed of this) but not access to results/records.

But I will be asking why not.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Diakat I've had my strip prescription reduced too :banghead:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sparrow456
Have checked, they offer online bookings and online repeat prescriptions (apparently- never been informed of this) but not access to results/records.

But I will be asking why not.

Definitely ask why not, but not the receptionist. It is the Practice Manager you need to see. I have noticed on the forum that some surgeries that didn't offer the service earlier on are now doing so, but you need to be assertive.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My receptionist thinks I don’t need any strips because I use Libre... :sour: When I said I need them for driving she suggested I use the bus to save the NHS money!

Words fail me..

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My receptionist thinks I don’t need any strips because I use Libre... :sour: When I said I need them for driving she suggested I use the bus to save the NHS money!

The only response that would get from me would be a direct complaint to the practice manager. It's irrelevant what the receptionist thinks on the matter when the guidelines/law are clear on it even if someday they are updated to consider flash/constant monitoring.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The only response that would get from me would be a direct complaint to the practice manager. It's irrelevant what the receptionist thinks on the matter when the guidelines/law are clear on it even if someday they are updated to consider flash/constant monitoring.
I did speak to the PM when my ability to form a coherent sentence returned. I have test strips coming out of my ears now :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @Diakat I haven't got to the bottom of it yet, they did this about 2 years ago and I went to the practice manager to complain and it was changed on my next prescription, personally I think they do this as a cost saving exercise every so often to patients on repeat prescriptions, you have to keep on top of them..

Reactions: DavidK59 and dbr10