1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Arrived here after watching The Truth About Carbs? Join the Low Carb Program for meal plans & 10 weeks of simple steps into your new lifestyle.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Increasingly frustrated by GP

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by Diakat, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Guru

What does he think is wrong with that? We all know the total is fairly meaningless as it includes the good stuff as well as the bad. The trigs are the real baddies, and yours are ideal, which means that most of your LDL will be made up of the big fluffy particles that do no harm at all. Have a look at these 2 short videos just posted this evening by @Guzzler . There are many more videos. Even my diabetes nurse told me about the trigs and LDL big fluffy particles. She had recently been on a training course.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/ketodave-and-cholesterol.138706/

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

I agree, @Diakat trigs are spot on according to Dave. Well done, Diakat you are Rocking This!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks @Bluetit1802 and @Guzzler
    She quoted the NICE guidelines about lower levels for diabetics, but all the reading I have done so far is pushing me towards cholesterol being reasonably good for my brain and cells.

• Like Like x 4
  4. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree phoenix55 about the importance of checking ones records

My record showed a lot of pretty low grade stuff like hayfever but completely omitted the fact I’d had a kidney removed last year!

Ps great result @Mel dCP you must be chuffed to bits

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Guru

She was quoting from old guidelines I expect. NICE are now more concerned with the non-HDL, which should be under 4. Yours is 3.6, so tally ho! However, most experts in the field believe it is the trigs/HDL ratio that counts, which is ideal if under 0.87. Yours is 0.47, so tally ho again! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Personally? I'd be very happy with your numbers. The analysis below is done here: http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

upload_2018-3-12_22-21-0.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Expert

Yep I'd agree with everyone else.. your doc needs some cholesterol education..

8. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

Can mine sit in while t'other one is getting it?

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. leahkian

leahkian · Well-Known Member

You are the diabetic and that is why they brought out NHS Choices. You can ask the doctor at the clinic to copy you in every letter they send out, if like me you see different doctors in different departments you do end up with quite a few letters but i find this easy because you can compare your results. My GP;S before i had a SPK transplant would tell me to contact my diabetic team as they were the best to ask. Now if i do not feel well i have to go to my local hospital who once they hear double transplant you would think i had two heads. They cannot get on the phone quick enough to get me transfered ro Newcastle which suits me fine as all my care is their. I did have to stop for two nights at my local hospital with the novovirus but was allowed to walk around and then they would ask what they should do, so i told them to ring the transplant team. They needed to do a special blood test, the first one they put in the wrong bottle and the 2nd one they lost. In the end i came home but you must get on to the diabetic clinic and ask for a copy of all letters and also if the bloods were of worry the team at the clinic would contact you

10. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Me too.
    I was told recently that hdl should be higher than ldl.
    That ldl is the transporters and hdl was the load of good cholesterol.
    Just goes to show what I've been told is a load of rubbish!

11. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This is a really useful tool, I hadn’t come accross it before so it takes me ages to figure out if my results are ok. Thanks for posting it.

12. Phoenix55

Phoenix55 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

@NoKindOfSusie I would echo what has already been said that some HCP are only in it to toe the line that is given to them. As in any business there are always exceptions to the rule, the awkward ones who continue to read and think for themselves. Finding one of these that dares to put their head above the proverbial parapet is like finding gold dust but they are worth the search and then keeping. Do not despair, they are there. Remember that everyone is different and you are the expert on your body.
    I have just spent some time discussing diabetes and diet with some HCP. They followed my reasoning until I got to the point of the Eatwell plate, then they could not make that small step to see how useless it is. All I can do is hope that a seed has been planted and some time in the future they will recall a slightly mad old woman taking time and talking to them about what has worked for her.

• Like Like x 1
  13. sugardaddy74

sugardaddy74 Type 2 · Newbie

Typical of the old arrogant attitude of doctors. Mine gives me a full print-out of all results. I wouldn't stand for less.

14. Nanaclaire

Nanaclaire · Active Member

I have today spoke today the receptionisttold me that morphine is a controlled & to be signed for (which I no), and that it had to be collected now I have been having my prescptions delivered for many yrs but I changed pharmacy that I'm registered with & have issued this drug with no problems. Now thus horrid person told me very abruptly to collect it. I did today & have felt ill the remainder of the day. I have diabetes, heart decease and chronic back problem. Why after all these yrs I have no problem & what is the point of getting patience to sign up to this service but there is a issue with this drug the reason I signed up is that cannot get out dew to back pain. Anyone else had this problem

Nana Claire

• Hug Hug x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook