Indian Takeaway

lynnecam1uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
taking guidance from diabetes.co.uk site, I want to have a chicken tandoori with boiled rice as a treat and have been good is this ok to have as long at it is a tikka and boiled rice I got the impression it is ok and to have chapati instead of naan bread

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
nobody can tell you if it's ok

Do you test your bg? The only way to tell if a meal suits you is to test before eating it and then again 2 hours later and hopefully see no more than a 2-3mmol rise from pre meal levels, it is a pretty carb heavy meal though so most wouldn't get away with it, rice and bread products are very carb heavy and takeaways often add thickeners, sugars etc to sauces so keep that in mind too

Enjoy
xx

lynnecam1uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
no I don't test the doctor said to me the blood tests tell them what they want to know yes I have checked for eg cream etc and I would not order any with cream this I think has some spices and is suitable for me I can always have the bread another time diabetes.co.uk said to have that instead of naan bread it is better. thanks

lynnecam1uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
no I don't test the doctor said to me the blood tests tell them what they want to know yes I have checked for eg cream etc and I would not order any with cream this I think has some spices and is suitable for me I can always have the bread another time diabetes.co.uk said to have that instead of naan bread it is better. thanks
and I have checked the diabetes.co.uk website and followed their guidance.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know from experience that a mixed grill is ok for me, provided I stay well away from rice, chappatis and any king of bread, naan, roti etc.

You really do need a meter so you can evaluate what foods you can tolerate.

Reactions: plutoniumcard

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
advice is just that, it doesn't make it fact I'm afraid, that is a lot of carbs to be consuming especially when you aren't testing so don't know what its doing to you, you don't want to be spiking greatly

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find that with most takeaways, my bloods will be ok 2 hours after and for the rest of the evening, but then 3am my bloods start creeping up, by 4am I can be as high as 28 :arghh:

Reactions: kaylz91

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I want to have a chicken tandoori with boiled rice as a treat

Hi Lynne, I would say the fact you are referring to it as a 'treat' indicates that you already know that it may not necessarily be 'good' for your diabetes otherwise you would be eating it on a regular basis, (wouldn't we all!). Of course you can eat whatever you want when you want but considering you have posted it as a 'should I', then it seems as if you are asking permission almost or at least validation of your choice.

I would say have it if you want it and if you do, then don't agonise about it or feel guilty. YOU know what (if any) effect it may have and if you don't, then test. Dependent on results you may decide to have it every day or never again or once a month. I am not being flippant but you certainly do not need anybody else's approval, if you are worried about it's effects then test before & after and decide whether it's something you like enough to ignore any downsides. x

Last edited:
Reactions: lynnecam1uk

lynnecam1uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lynne, I would say the fact you are referring to it as a 'treat' indicates that you already know that it may not necessarily be 'good' for your diabetes otherwise you would be eating it on a regular basis, (wouldn't we all!). Of course you can eat whatever you want when you want but considering you have posted it as a 'should I', then it seems as if you are asking permission almost or at least validation of your choice.

I would say have it if you want it and if you do, then don't agonise about it or feel guilty. YOU know what (if any) affect it may have and if you don't, then test. Dependent on results you may decide to have it every day. I am not being flippant but you certainly do not need anybody else's approval, if you are worried about it's effects then test before & after. x
thanks well I used to test but doctor said not to as the blood tests tell him. anyway I will have it it was just advice was after and I have made changes recently to help me. I know my doctor did tell me when I asked a while ago they do make allowances for holidays and weekends but you don't go over the score I know that and I have been making more salads and making some changes like I said.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The cream is fine. The rice and bread will be the problems for blood glucose.

This forum is part of diabetes.co.uk. Maybe you mean the .org blue colour website? They tend to be more lenient in the carb allowances as has historically been the way the nhs approached diabetes. This also has lead to it being seen as progressive and drugs the sole approach to slow things. More recently diet and carbohydrates have been recognised as being the most effective way to control and quite possibly reverse the process

Can I suggest you take a good look at LCHF ie low carb higher fat (than recommended for the last few decades) methods of eating.

It’s how an awful lot of us get our blood sugar levels under control and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and also reduce or improve complications.

It is often the easiest and most sustainable form of weight loss for a type 2 if you need that. Other conditions often improve including but not limited to blood pressure, joint pain, inflammation, PCOS, and despite the dire warnings of the last few decades it improves cholesterol for most, yes improves cholesterol.

Some jump right on it, others edge their toes in a bit at a time.

Be aware the the USA count carbs differently so be aware if you look at their counting, recipes or products. They include fibre in their count we don’t. So if it’s USA stuff deduct the fibre to get our figures. (Fibre isn’t generally digested thus doesn’t get counted)

Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Excellent site and first port of call for many getting their head round low carb.

Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. It also helps keep an eye out that any meds are working appropriately not too much or too little. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Test before a meal and 2hrs later hoping for a rise of 2mmol or less. More and the carbs eaten were too many! Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON DIABETIC MEDS (other than metformin): if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds or insulin increasing meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc than your new carb intake requires. (This is not a concern for metformin on its own). Keep a very close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge so they can reduce medication accordingly. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around. Low carb is endorsed by the NHS and the ADA as an effective method of control, even if the practice staff don’t realise that yet.

Reactions: Flora123

lynnecam1uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cant give a link but www.diabetes.co.uk and look up the foods section that is where I got it.
I used to have fried rice but have stopped that and if I did it was not all that much but I have cut that out and have celery and tomatoes if I want to make a salad and I can snack on celery as my doctor said that was fine.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks well I used to test but doctor said not to as the blood tests tell him. anyway I will have it it was just advice was after and I have made changes recently to help me. I know my doctor did tell me when I asked a while ago they do make allowances for holidays and weekends but you don't go over the score I know that and I have been making more salads and making some changes like I said.

Hi there, well YOU are in charge of yourself and you don't need the Dr to tell you what 'allowances' HE makes for YOU! x

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But what tells YOU what the meal does or doesn’t do if you don’t use a meter to check? It might be quite surprising to you. It’s compared to having a speedo in a car. Without one when you get a speeding ticket through the post you have no idea what you were doing at the time of the offence, probably don’t even remember it. With a speedo you can check during each journey if you’re doing ok or not.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...-your-blood-sugars.66574/page-54#post-2224200

not testing advice is usually Based on financial reasons or lack of understanding how to test for type 2, as opposed to for insulin and avoiding hypos.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What dreadful advice - you seem to have found the don't eat those dreadful fats they'll kill you but carbs are soo healthy and benign you should have no problem eating those, and for heavens sake don't bother to check and find out that it is all a lie.
The truth is that diabetes is the inability to deal with carbohydrate - that is starch and sugar. Your ability to deal with protein and fat is probably absolutely fine.
The Hba1c tests show an average - but they can't tell what it is an average of - consider that the average of 49 and 51 is 50, but also 1 and 99 or 30 and 70 - so just how high are the spikes - your doctor has not the slightest idea.
Most type twos avoid rice, because it causes spikes, so does wheat and other grains, it is to be expected.
I make curry with cauliflower, chopped coarsely after cooking until almost done then put into a dish under the curry and kept warm for a few minutes.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
" diabetes is the inability to deal with carbohydrate..."
That is the main point you should bear in mind @lynnecam1uk .
Those of us who ditched the carbs and don't use medication, and put diabetes into remission feel we can offer meaningful advice.
And yes I love the occasional curry with a coconutty peshwari naan. I'm not proud of it, and I usually make amends the next day!
As you have heard already, not all NHS advice is up to date, but we are educating them one doctor at a time.

Reactions: annie-p

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid I'm another who agrees with the previous advice. My doctor did not recommend that I get a meter and test. I did it anyway because I'm more invested in my health than my doctor. I'm the one that will suffer the complications if I don't keep it under control.

I love naan bread. I don't imagine I'll ever eat it again because like those above me said- its the carbs that will spike the blood sugar not the fat.

Ultimately it is your decision. I just think it is sad to made decisions without all the necessary information. If you don't test you will not know what effect the meal had on your body. If you don't spike- well great you can have it more frequently. If you do spike then at least you know the consequences of your decision.

Some of the medical profession are a bit behind the times in relation to diabetes. They see it as a progressive illness. Well I want to fight it as long as possible. I have a family and want to be able to work for a few more years to pay off our mortgage. I can't imagine life without my sight or the loss of a limb. These possibilities motivate me. These are more important than a nice meal. I love carbs but I love a life without diabetic consequences more.

I agree- don't seek permission from us- seek permission from your future self.

Good luck

Reactions: Serena51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are plenty of meals from an Indian takeaway that won’t cause a large rise in blood glucose for a T2

Just avoid the sweet gloopy sauces and the fruity ones, the breads, rice, potato and the desserts.

I tend to have one of the less gloopy meat dishes and two veg sides. Delicious.

Reactions: annie-p