Influenza

azizdhl

Hi guys,

I heard that influenza may become very dangerous to a diabetic life, where others said its not that danger.

I rarely have influenza, so should I take any injection to prevent it from happening to me, because some doctors don't allow inoculation for diabetics? What should I do?

Lastly, is there any way that I can prevent this influenza to happen to me by some safety procedure without taking the inoculation injection?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Influenza is very dangerous for everybody (the outbreak after WW1 killed more people than the war did). Diabetics can have other issues and be more susceptible.

I missed the call one year and still wanted the jab so I asked about paying for one. It only cost £10 so it is not to be feared.

There is not much to do to avoid it but one thing you can do is to keep the hands clean. Flu virus can be present on keyboards, shopping trolleys, in fact anything someone else has touched. You can get an airborne infection. I heard one doctor say that there are only two holes in the body where infection can start (presumably mouth and nose). He suggested slightly salted water which he used as a mouthwash and he even sniffed it. I have not tried all that. It feels like going a bit far but if it works ........

I notice that doctors don't seem to catch all the the diseases their patients have.

Reactions: lessci

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi guys,

I heard that influenza may become very dangerous to a diabetic life, where others said its not that danger.

I rarely have influenza, so should I take any injection to prevent it from happening to me, because some doctors don't allow inoculation for diabetics? What should I do?
Influenza is dangerous to anyone, but especially to older people and people with weakened immune systems, which includes diabetics.
In the UK diabetics are encouraged to get preventative ant-flu injections, which are free for 'high risk' people like diabetics.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys,

Lastly, is there any way that I can prevent this influenza to happen to me by some safety procedure without taking the inoculation injection?
A flu can be a killer, especially to people with an impaired immune system or other health issues. I respond badly to the jab every year (sort of allergic to one of the components), but I still get in line for it without fail. Better I have a little joint pain and nausia for a few days, (which is really rare for people to get, I'm just lucky that way,) than get an actual flu.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have a very real injection phobia. I have only had one injection since childhood. I had the flu about 10 years ago so I know how bad it can be, and I wouldn't want to get it now I'm older, and diabetic.
I was offered the flu jab by my DN after I was diagnosed but declined, explaining that I wouldn't have an injection. I did ask if I could have the alternative nasal spray which is given to children under 16. But she said it wasn't available for adults - except NHS staff.
I have been looking at pharmacies which provide flu jabs for around £10 to see if they do the nasal spray, but they don't.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys,

Are you in the UK because I have not heard that some doctors do not allow inoculations for diabetics. It really is a vital jab to have

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had proper flu once as a teenager, pre diabetes, was ill for a fortnight. The thought of getting it now would fill me with dread. The cold virus I had in January was bad enough. Could not believe how it affected my levels.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a very real injection phobia. I have only had one injection since childhood. I had the flu about 10 years ago so I know how bad it can be, and I wouldn't want to get it now I'm older, and diabetic.
I was offered the flu jab by my DN after I was diagnosed but declined, explaining that I wouldn't have an injection. I did ask if I could have the alternative nasal spray which is given to children under 16. But she said it wasn't available for adults - except NHS staff.
I have been looking at pharmacies which provide flu jabs for around £10 to see if they do the nasal spray, but they don't.
I had my flu jab for free in Asda. I've been going there for it for some years now and it it a very different experience than the GP. It is the one I get my prescription from so a friendly face. The chat before and after the jab lasted 30 mins as we sat and gossiped for quite a while. Must say I didn't feel a thing and wonder if you might consider this as so much less stressful than a docs waiting room. Good luck.