Injecting in Public

Aadrgon

Hi
just wanted to add my comments to this thread. I'm a T2 and at the moment I don't need to inject insulin although the way things are going this may change.
The quote earlier about paramedics treating someone in a restaurant was mine from a previous thread on 'injecting insulin in public' from march this year.
There is nothing wrong with injecting a prescribed medication in public any more than people who have to take tablets with their meal as long as you are discreet - so avoid standing naked on the table before you inject. :lol:
It doesn't matter how clean a toilet appears to be, it's still a toilet.
If someone does complain ( which I believe is a rare occurence ) just ask them how they'd feel about eating their meal in the toilet.
Yes. we have diabetes but it's the people who complain who have the problems.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
OMG, Aadrgon. Have I fallen foul of copyright ??? :lol:

Nice to see you back here. Hope you are well ?

Ken.

Aadrgon

cugila said:
OMG, Aadrgon. Have I fallen foul of copyright ???

Nice to see you back here. Hope you are well ?

Not at all Ken as long as the royalty cheque is in the post :lol:

Keeping OK except for BG is starting to go out of control and I'm not sure why. Think I might need a change of medication.

fran

i just inject through my clothes when i am out in public. It was something that my nurse suggested. If people don't like it then i say "tough" - it keeps you alive.

fiona35 said:
Whenever I go out to eat I always inject in the ladies toilet, however when I saw my DSN for a check up earlier today she was rather horrified that I do this and said it was acceptable to inject at the restuarant table.

But my question is I get in a flap anyway jabbing myself in the toilet so how the hell does everyone manage to do it discreetly? :D

I generally wear trousers when out and about and somehow the idea of unzipping them, poking a bit of belly fat out to jab myself just doesn't sit right with me!!

Unless you peeps inject through your clothes maybe in the thigh?

Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Injecting in Public - yay or nay?!

Just wondering how others feel about injecting in public? I recently read a forum which included a post from a lady in the USA who was fab, said she loved to inject at the dinner table in a restaurant and how her hubby used to joke with other diners who could see. Recently, I have been a lot more open and have injected in restaurants and even in McDonalds (much to my daughter and my boyfriends amusement with regards to all the 'look's' we got!). Personally, I am fed up with scuttling off to the ladies loo every time I need to inject - what do others think?

Deb x :D

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Re: Injecting in Public - yay or nay?!

Deb, go for it, and s*d everyone else, it's easy to be discreet and not as though you're mainlining. Public facilities are highly unsanitary. But discretion is key, I once had someone at the next restaurant table faint at the sight of my pen needle! :twisted:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

lol, best I be careful then! hmmm, didn't think about people with needle phobia's fainting, but then what's a Diabetic to do?! I actually find it quite liberating and although nobody has asked me about it, I don't think I would mind if they did?! I think every Diabetic should join my crusade to be Type 1, loud and proud! :lol:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty

yay...i definately inject wherever i am when i need to :D

nannybarbara

I just oik my top up and stick the needle in. Needle phobia does affect some people, though. In our local Chinese, the waitress came over to carefully watch what I was doing, but the hovering waiter went a bit pale and averted his eyes. Probably embarrased about the old biddy flashing the wrinkly belly. :lol: My husband just sat there sniggering.

I do try to be discrete though. When I was wearing a dress, I tried lifting the hem to use my thigh, but it really hurt so I don't do that any more - now I just stick it straight through the dress, or favorite - wear separates.

Barb

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter won't allow us to inject into her tummy, she's quite slim so there's not much fat around that area and I think she's frightened that it might hurt. So all her injections in public are done into her upper arm. The thigh never really works because most often she's wearing jeans or trousers. I've never had a stare, comment or complaint yet. And if someone did complain then like some others have said here I think that's their problem. I would never consider doing an injection in a public toilet. I've found this thread very intersting, I never thought of injecting through trouser fabric. Does anyone know if it works okay injecting through tights? When my daughter goes into secondary school part of their school uniform is to wear tights. I've been quietly worrying about how she will cope with injections if she still won't use her tummy by then. It's a bit awkward for her to inject into her upper arm by herself, especially if she's wearing a sweater or cardi. She can do the injection herself into her thigh and if she can go through tights without laddering them then that would be great.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Injecting through clothing is not recommended, but there are many who do. :?

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've injected through tights before but I've never actually 'dressed' in order to make injecting as easy as possible! Plus, I prefer to inject in my tum as insulin responds the quickest there, thighs next and then arms are the slowest (or so my Diabetic nurse tells me!).

Tummy is defo the easiest though if you are wearing trousers, just lift your top up and in it goes - just been thinking, I am waiting to get a pump, how will I wear dresses with one of those attached?! Ah well, keeps me occupied thinking of ingenious ways to get the insulin in some how! lol

FordPrefect

I just started on byetta and was travelling home the other day so ate out, I went into the toilets on this occasion as personally I would have to be overlooked. If I was out somewhere that I could inject discretely ie in a table in the corner I would do so but on this occasion I was right in the middle of the **** place.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
I too inject Byetta. NO WAY would I inject in a toilet. The most filthy place you could think of.

I have posted about this before. I have taken a pen out in pubs, clubs, bars, retaurants, cafes and just inject. I try to do it discretely but sometimes it just isn't possible. I don't play a fanfare and announce it, I just get on with it as unobtrusively as possible.

If people have a problem with that, it is their problem not mine. :wink:

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally agree Ken. We go out regularly for evening meals often accompanied by some of our grandchildren - others at our table rarely notice me injecting let alone anyone else in the restaurant!! Our 9 year old grandson says he does not like needles to which I replied that I would be very poorly if I did not do it.

Eliminator

Dislikes
People who talk ***** and tell lies.
Just got back from a holiday in Bulgeria a couple of weeks ago, we were half board so evening meal was in a massive dining area packed with other guests. It was the first time since going on insulin that I have injected outside my own house. My son who is also type one has injected before and he went to the toilet while we were out for a meal one night.
So I said to him, there is nothing wrong injecting at the table, and should not do it in the toilet as it is full of germs.

So at the hotel for the evening meal and it was get the food sit at the table, sleeves up, needles out and away we go. I knew some people were looking as we were both injecting at the same time at the same table, but it was just something that had to be done. My son now feels quite happy about people looking over, and I don't care who looks at me injecting.

Plenty of people take tablets with a meal for many other medical reasons, so why should insulin be any different. If your out and need to take insulin JUST DO IT.

If people wana look then so what, they should not be nosey buggers anyway lol

goji

I don't mind injecting in public at all and find it mildly amusing when people start staring at me. :lol: I try to keep it discreet and just lift my top up a little to inject into my stomach. If people have a problem with it, then that's their problem, not mine. :twisted:

I used to inject through my trousers, but in recent years I've gone off that idea and find the stomach a lot easier.

I'm curious about people saying they inject into their arms. Is it uncomfortable? For some reason, I've always felt slightly squeamish about injecting into my arms as they don't feel fatty enough.

Eliminator

Dislikes
People who talk ***** and tell lies.
goji said:
I don't mind injecting in public at all and find it mildly amusing when people start staring at me. :lol: I try to keep it discreet and just lift my top up a little to inject into my stomach. If people have a problem with it, then that's their problem, not mine. :twisted:

I used to inject through my trousers, but in recent years I've gone off that idea and find the stomach a lot easier.

I'm curious about people saying they inject into their arms. Is it uncomfortable? For some reason, I've always felt slightly squeamish about injecting into my arms as they don't feel fatty enough.

My Son prefers Stomach, but I can't stand that, I have always done my arms.

The way I do my arms is like this...

Rest the UPPER part of your left arm on your left leg, then you can just roll your arm a little, this gives you the fatty bit you want. most of the time I don't even feel it, but sometimes you can hit a nerve and hurts a little.

I do levemere in right arm and novorapid in left arm. Last night I tried on the big muscle area on my arm and that was fine too. I thought it might have hit the muscle but it didn't.

I tried stomach once and didn't like it, And I would never try my legs.

John506

Ok, imagine you were so naive about diabetes, insulin injections, or general inesses that require injections as a whole.

Ive only been a type 1 diabetic for 5 months, and I know that before I was diagnosed if I seen someone at a restaurant injecting themelves I would think, hmm whats up with them? I would certainly be more interested than horrified, come to that I wouldn't be horrified in the slightest.

I inject myself wherever and whenever, couldn't care less. I agree with anyone who states that if someone has a problem with it, it's their problem, not mine.

We need insulin to stay alive as much as non-diabetics need food to stay alive, do you see everyone else running to the toilets with their plate of food to eat it?

Excuse my french but I couldn't shout "F********!" loud enough to express how I feel about people who complain about diabetics injecting!!

I haven't had anyone complain about me and I have no quarms about injecting at a dinner table, it makes good conversation in some cases!

Please for the commmunity of diabetics inject whenever and wherever you want and hold your middle finger high to anyone who objects!