Injecting in Public

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A few years ago, I bought myself a pair of trousers with zips round the thigh, so you could remove the legs to make shorts. These proved ideal for the weather conditions marshalling on the Hebridean Challenge (adventure race the length of Outer Hebrides / Western Isles) - and I also discovered that opening the zip a short distance made insulin injections into thigh very easy! Only the last night ceidhl was more formal - clean T shirts all round and kilts worn by those who had them; I just brought a clan tartan sash to wear over my T shirt, as full female tarten dress / kilt would be a lot to carry.

Adam09

Had my first experience injecting in public today.

Just returned to Uni and we all went for the usual Greggs for dinner, stood against the wall near a side street so I wasn't drawing to much attention, all was going well until just as I put the needle in my stomach some guy sees and shouts "Hey you smackhead are you jacking up?!"

Could of went better I guess? :evil:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Adam09 said:
Had my first experience injecting in public today.

Just returned to Uni and we all went for the usual Greggs for dinner, stood against the wall near a side street so I wasn't drawing to much attention, all was going well until just as I put the needle in my stomach some guy sees and shouts "Hey you smackhead are you jacking up?!"

Could of went better I guess? :evil:

Location, Location, Location...... :(

17Unicorns19

I have been on one shot a day for a year and since September 09 on another fast acting insulin 3 shots a day. SO I am on four shots daily. I ahd such a time adjusting to this.So far I have not been brave enough to inject in public so I make sure I go to do errands after the lunch shot or before the lunch shot which sometimes makes it too hard. So I know soon I have to start injecting in public. But honestly I do not like the idea to inject in the public toilet. So I guess I am trying to delay the inevitable which I am sure I have to deal with soon.Regards and have a nice day. This site is awesome I joined yesterday.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Funny experience at the weekend, out for dinner with my boyfriend, crowded bar with those high tables in the middle, surrounded by people, ordered, ate and took my pen out, dialled it up and just as I lifted my top the waitress who hadn't been particularly attentive up until that point appeared at our table and started, very slowly clearing away! like most, I try to be discreet but then also like most, I care more about my health than the curiosity or ignorance of others so I cracked on with it! Didn't help that my boyfriend saw me hesitating and said 'oh just do it' at the top of his voice!!' :lol:

But nobody has actually commented on me injecting in public (yet!) :? if anyone shouted 'Junkie' or similar I'm not sure what I would do?!

Eliminator

Dislikes
People who talk ***** and tell lies.
Debloubed said:
if anyone shouted 'Junkie' or similar I'm not sure what I would do?!

I would shout, so the whole place could here " IT'S INSULIN YOU IGNORANT B**TARD ".

that would make them feel about 2inch tall in front of everyone. :wink:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Good point Eliminator! I would certainly say something to 'educate' them, no worries about that :lol:

17Unicorns19

I want to say to all members I only have been a member less than a week but have to say I really like the atmoshpere in this group, so helpful and also taking our daily situation like daily injections as easy as possible with some humour which is good. I feel like I found new friends with whom I can share my diabetes experience and who can understand as they are passing from the same situation. So a big thank you to all. Have a nice weekend.

sugar-rush

Dislikes
being fat, liars, bullies, being stressed all the time
i used to not inject in public. i used to skip them instead so i didnt have to do it.
then i used to go to the loos.
now im being brave and do it at the table or whatever.
i still hate it though, people look :(

17Unicorns19

Hi everyone,
I think it is getting time I have to start to inject the lunch shot in public, because at the moment if I am doing errands and it is time for the shot, I have to hurry home. Can you please kindly let me know, is there any special way how to take care of the insulin pen, when out of the home. Say if it is a hot day is that ok? Is there a special carrier case you buy from a pharmacist to hold the insulin pen when out of home, to keep the temperature good for it? Thanks for any help and have a nice weekend. Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me, have only been on four shots a day not even a month.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In UK, just keep pen out of direct sun ie don't leave in a car in the sun. No need for insulated bag, just keep in shade ie not in a black outer bag. But until spring, only be careful not to leave insulin (or bag containing your pen) next to a radiator, even if it's switched off, as it may be switched on before you get back to your bag.

17Unicorns19

Thanks copepod for your reply. So reading not to use an outer black bag, I will use something else as actully after Isent the post, I thought I might as well use this small black vinyl bag. Actually this bag was sent to me by a diabetes foundation a long time ago at the begining of my diabetes, had diabetes since 1993 but on insulin less than a year. The bag plus some literature etc was sent as part of their welcoming gesture. They did not have enough members so it closed down. But did not say if the bag was for insulin or not. So thanks for telling me all the info. Much appreciated.Enjoy your weekend.

Eliminator

Dislikes
People who talk ***** and tell lies.
The NHS advise to get insulin cooler pouches from this site.

frio.com/buy/buy/

gbswales

I have always injected in public - discretely as possible but not to the extent of making it difficult - I would probably be more careful in pubs or clubs where there is understandable sensitivity to drugs
Mothers breast feed babies in public these days (and why shouldnt they - we were all babies once)

I am also hemophiliac and just wondering if I started infusing factor 9 with butterfly needles and syringes - that would really scare a few people. :wink:

Seriously I am discreet because i have a couple of close friends who are hyper alergic to the sight of needles - usually now I tell friends I am with what I am doing so they have the chance to look away if it bothers them

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Eliminator said:
The NHS advise to get insulin cooler pouches from this site.

frio.com/buy/buy/
The Frio bags are excellent, go to The Medical Shop site (/www.medicalshop.co.uk/) and use the voucher code kindly supplied by this site to receive a 20% discount on your order!

17Unicorns19

Thanks for telling me about the frio bags to carry the insulin pen when out of home but are these supplied only to UK diabetics as I live in Australia, thanks.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
17Unicorns19 said:
Thanks for telling me about the frio bags to carry the insulin pen when out of home but are these supplied only to UK diabetics as I live in Australia, thanks.

Here is the details of the Australian Distributor of the Frio.

P LA HAYBE AGENCIES
4 Renown Ave, Seacliff Park 5049,
South Australia

Peter McGearey
Tel +61883771757, Fax +61883771757
[email protected]

Contact him and I am sure he will give you details of a closer supplier.

SWMHO1

I found injecting in public a little embarrasing at first, but I seem to have mastered it now, with help and support from family and friends. I would never consider using the loos to go and inject, that seems to make it seedy. You do get the odd stare, or disapproving look, but hey - let them think what they want, just keep yourself healthy. Best of luck to you.

Senga

I now prefer to do it at the table as you say the new pens are discreet. Took me a wee while to get the confidence but now think its better than in the toilet. I was always afraid someone would think I was a junky when I did it in the toilet.

Awkwardboy

Dislikes
speeding tickets and jeans with zips
I'd never actually thought about it before reading this post, I've always (only been doing this since agust) just done what I need to where ever I happen to be. Having thought about it now though, I realise that every time I've put the needle in (I inject in the belly) poeple are all busy looking some where else. Dont know if its what I'm doing or the sight of the full body tattoo that grants me privacy in public.