Injecting in Public

nabser

Like most people i was wary of people watching me inject and would generally use a toilet to inject when out,as i thought about it i just said sod it and now inject wherever i am out most people dont even notice you doing it.

Moragwalker

Hello
I usually inject under the table and nobody notices. If they did & said anything - they would get short shift from me. So who cares!! Paramedics do it for folk who are ill.

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
to hell with what anyone else thinks !!!!
we suffer enough without feeling embaressed or ashamed
a friends brother was thrown out of a night club for injecting in the toilets
they dragged him out calling junkie scum obviously we are'nt the only one who need educated on diabetes
POWER TO DIABETICS!!!!!!!

Mackamaple

I always inject in public, I look at it a bit like breast feeding, some people like it some people object ,but to be honest if anybody said anything to me I would tell them to mind their own business and ****** off.....

hrhmoo

Yes to injecting in public...everywhere...I won't be stopped never ever!!! :lol: :D if others notice then they should be concentrating on what they are doing not watching me....they obviously need more in their lives as Im not that interesting!! :wink:

Eliminator

Dislikes
People who talk ***** and tell lies.
If your on facebook search for (Insulin users should NOT be embarrassed to inject in public) :D

17Unicorns19

Thanks to Cugula for the Aussie supplier's info about the frio bags much appreciated. I will get in touch with the supplier.Thanks also to all those who helped me with my queries.

TheScribbler

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually inject discretely in public. I'd been injecting at my desk at work for 5 months before the person at the next desk noticed! I have two young children and I inject in front of them all the time, and I have explained exactly what I do and why. My oldest, who is 5, even reminds me to take my "jib jab" pen when we go out. But I'm more cautious when there are other people's children about. I simply wouldn't want to feel responsible for some child sticking a needle in themselves because they had seen me do it. Am I being over-cautious? I'd be interested to hear the views of parents of children with diabetes.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Other peoples children are not your responsibility.

Personally, I want my daughter to know about, and be aware of as many different things as possible.
A close family friend is a T4 parapalegic, we also know a woman with severe emphysema who needs to have oxygen bottles all the time.
I want her to know that lots of people have different things wrong with them, and different people need different things to help them.

Any parent who lets a child have access to needles when they could inject themselves has bigger problems ;)

FordPrefect

Well I think people have to do what makes them most comfortable and what keeps them safe. Personally I would always be discrete and if I cant do it discretely I would slide off to the toilets. However I am not on insulin so only have to inject twice a day so its probably going to be less of an issue for me.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
You shouldn't be carrying out invasive procedures (injecting) in a toilet, that is disgusting and potentially very dangerous.

I will inject where ever I happen to be and to hell with what others think, I try to be reasonably discreet but at the end of the day its no one else's business what I do to keep myself healthy, and if they have a problem with that they can come and tell me to my face. To date no one has :D

GLF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well I have just returned from my daughters school to have 'parents to lunch' day and I sat in the dining hall with a bunch of 5 and 6 year olds and teaching staff and of course did my injection at the table. I didn't even think of going to the yucky toilets. no one noticed and if they had asked what I was doing I would have explained to the children. They are usually fascinated! We must inject when it is required and wherever.

gravicom1948

Would you if in hospital were asked to go into a toilet so that the nurse could give you an injection. I have always injected at the table in a restaurant.

Gravicom1948

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always found it a bit difficult to fit 2 people in a toilet cubicle! I've never asked anyone to inject in a toilet while working as a nurse or at any other time. However, in the 14 years I've needed insulin (started several years after qualifiying as RGN, and after graduating with BSc in different topic), I have preferred, on occasions, to inject in private / out of sight of anyone else, eg soon after starting a new job and waiting for the right moment to tell colleagues, which often means a toilet or stockroom. However, I've also injected in the open air on many occasions - and it's only tricky when wearing salopettes and waterproof jacket, making it difficult to get to abdomen or thighs or arms.