Injecting lantus - bleeding...

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but virtually every time I've injected my Lantus over the last week there has been bleeding and then bruising at the injection site. I was told to use my upper leg. I just can't work out where in my upper leg to inject it without this happening. I've tried the front, the side. Doesn't make a difference. I'm pretty lean and don't have much fat to pinch up but, even so, it's odd that it only happens occasionally (although it's getting more frequent). If the injection site bleeds does that mean I probably didn't get a full dose?

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm lucky that I had a decent motorbike crash about 15 years ago and lost a lot of feeling in my right thigh, so that's where the lantus goes lol :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi pinewood
I tend to use the upper part of my backside for lantus injections and never get bleeding.
Can be a bit awkward to see exactly where I am injecting but is easy with a bit of practise.

Reactions: 2 people

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My lantus bleeds regularly too and stings like mad. Sometimes I get a numb leg and pain 20 mins after injecting. I also have to inject slowly as it hurts. I don't bruise though. I always inject in my leg as I'm lean too and when it goes into fat it feels better!! Sounds like we are having similar reactions. My nurse said levemir might be better. Might be worth asking?

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get bleeding and bruising whenever i try to inject at a site with to little fat to support it, probably like the upper leg.

I focus on my bum and the back of love handles for all my injections. I think its time you try switching our your sites to somewhere that you can pinch and pull.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Legs and stomach bleed. Bum best from me. Still **** perfect after majority of all injections and sets being done in it for 30 + years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a lot of surface veins and capillaries on my legs and bum and often bleed on injecting. I once bled like I had cut an artery, it was very "Kill Bill" with a jet of blood that landed on my freshly laundered sheets, grrrrr. So I tend to use my legs and only the areas I can get a good look at. My novorapid goes into my tum with no problem. I think I once hit a vein and injected my lantus IV and had a spectacular hypo that I had to stay up most of the night and fight with sugar and food.

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It worries me that my lantus could cause a hypo, especially as I take it right before bed. How do you know if you've hit a vein? Maybe I need to take it earlier...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
DD, God bless you and your perfect bum. :)

Still looks **** good to me!! - lol!!(And accuchek..) Sent them another photo of it today when a cannula popped out but the sticky stuff stayed perfect...

Best part of me I reckon:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It worries me that my lantus could cause a hypo, especially as I take it right before bed. How do you know if you've hit a vein? Maybe I need to take it earlier...

I'm not to sure if you can hit a vein with the small needles we use now if you stick to sites where we should inject insulin, the bleeding is from the small capillary blood vessels that lay close to the surface of the skin which sometimes rupture on injecting, but if you feel more comfortable you can move the timing of your basal dose to earlier in the day, or whatever time suits.

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not to sure if you can hit a vein with the small needles we use now if you stick to sites where we should inject insulin, the bleeding is from the small capillary blood vessels that lay close to the surface of the skin which sometimes rupture on injecting, but if you feel more comfortable you can move the timing of your basal dose to earlier in the day, or whatever time suits.

To change the time do I adjust by 10 mins each day or can I adjust by an hour straight away?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
To change the time do I adjust by 10 mins each day or can I adjust by an hour straight away?

When I went from moving my basal before bed to earlier in the evening I did so an hour at a time, this was the advice that my DSN give me at the time, however if your in doubt then its best to check with your own DSN first just to be sure.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the advice.

Before I went on holiday my DSN suggested I gradually brought forward my lantus time by 30 mins each day in the run-up so that I could still inject at the same time despite the time difference. I also sometimes think I should inject lantus earlier (I also do it just before bed) but it's convenient to do it at that time and helps establish a routine. If I started doing it at 7pm or something I know that I'd probably forget one day...doing it before bed just makes it more part of a daily routine.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was still injecting Lantus I always used my but. Occasionally had bleeding but not often.

Had more times where it stung. Sometimes it would not start stinging until around 30 minutes later. I did read something at one point which said this was to do with how Lantus works.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When I was still injecting Lantus I always used my but. Occasionally had bleeding but not often.

Had more times where it stung. Sometimes it would not start stinging until around 30 minutes later. I did read something at one point which said this was to do with how Lantus works.

Lantus is more acidic than levemir, that is why some people find it stings on injecting.

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lantus is more acidic than levemir, that is why some people find it stings on injecting.
Ah, so that's why it stings, its acidic. Can't use my leg - too painful, no fat whatsoever. Use my stomach which works well for me. I don't mind the stinging. Sometimes I get a spot of blood with Lantus and Novorapid, but I carry on as I always have.

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try not to worry, I have been told it is very rare to accidentally inject IV. Stick to the fatty areas and you should be ok. It has only happened to me once.