1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Injection problem

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Hibby65, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Hibby65

Hibby65 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Anyone else have problems injecting sometimes? Sometimes stick the needle in push the top of the pen nice and smooth no problems. Other days it’s murder. Stick the needle in push and push and it’s like it’s blocked or trying to resist. Tried different sites but still happens. Always tend to push a little bit first over the sink no problems then in the arm it’s like the skins trying to push back

2. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

How many units are you injecting at once?

• Like Like x 1
  3. AlexD14

AlexD14 · Member

I find this to be the case when injecting in my stomach, not so much on my thighs or lower back/buttock areas.

4. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Are you using a new needle each time? I find if I'm reusing a needle :bag: it's like it's getting clogged up.

5. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Like some others I get it if I use the same needle repetitively , once I change the needle no probs

6. Tony337

Tony337 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It happens to me too from time to time........new needle and no more than 10 units at a time.....
    It feels like the mechanism in the pen to be the cause?
    It feels like some of the insulin has got left behind and tried to prove this using data from my phone but it became inconclusive.

Tony

7. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What needles are you using?
    In order to save money, some GPs have been prescribing different needles which don't seem to go in as easily.

8. Tony337

Tony337 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

BD 4mm microfine ....

9. jaywak

jaywak Type 1 · Well-Known Member

In the colder months I find I can use the same needle 20 - 30 times without it clogging , But in the warmer weather months I sometimes have to replace it every day as it gets completely blocked .

10. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I find this happens from time to time in my thighs. I think it's where you inject in an area that has become 'hard' through a lot of previous injections. I now test my flesh with my fingers to find softer areas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jaywak

jaywak Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I didn't mean when it's in my flesh but when I do an airshot in the warmer weather it seems it might congeal in the needle!

12. DisFanJen

DisFanJen Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've had this happen a couple of times and as Diabell said, my assumption is that I hit a spot where I've injected recently as this can be a problem.

I've also had it twice where the insulin just oozed back out of the skin and wouldn't absorb, even after waiting the usual time (and I always wait longer then the recommended 6 - 10 secs).

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook