1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

injection sites in public?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Jelaca, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Jelaca

Jelaca Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask you all how or which injection site you use in public?

I have always used my legs through my trousers but this is starting to get overused really so i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?
    I am quite shy and sometimes go without if I can't do it privatley which i know is really bad but I've always been this way :/

Thanks everyone x

2. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

I use my stomach. I can usually do it quickly and people rarely even notice.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 2
  3. daniT1D

daniT1D Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use my stomach, the bottom section inline with my belly button and below. I do it to one side so only have to lift my top slightly at the side.

4. ElyDave

ElyDave Type 1 · Well-Known Member

stomach for bolus, just open a shirt button and you can do it easily. A bit more trouble, but not much if you're wearing a T-shirt etc

5. dollydaydream2014

dollydaydream2014 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Tummy and arms, I don't like to do it in busy public places but I will if I have to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Stomach but if I'm in short sleeves I'll inject in the arm.

7. Alanp35

Alanp35 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If I'm in a T shirt then I just lift one side slightly and inject or if wearing a button up type shirt then undo a button and inject. All very "no fuss" and discreet.

8. bluntneedle

bluntneedle Type 1 · Member

Hi Jelaca,

I would not Inject through my clothing, it blunts the needle and could push material threads into the injection site, or worse an infection from the clothing. I used to just lift my T-Shirt up, nobody really notices and if they do, they pretend they have't. It is the same when I check my Blood even the person next to me asks me later if I have checked my blood and Injected. So do not worry about it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Garr

Garr Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Aye, stomach for me, don't have a lot of fat elsewhere, no-one seems to notice. Wouldn't do it through my clothing though.

• Like Like x 2
  10. sam381

sam381 Type 1 · Member

You shouldn't really worry about what people think! That being said, stomach is the most discrete place, especially if you are sat at a table.

11. Danny Prince

Danny Prince Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You shouldn't do through clothes, i imagine it'd hurt alot more to begin with, Have you ever considered using a pump if you have that problem, as you never need to lift your shirt up or worry about people seeing you in public as its all done on a hand device

12. kkkk

kkkk Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't like injecting in my stomach…but obviously that seems to be a great one. Often I will just go to the toilet, but if I am out with family and friends that know I am diabetic, or I can't easily get to a toilet….I just inject in my arm - because I think most people don't notice as they are too involved eating or chatting themselves and even if they did it is so quick and looks like a pen that I am not sure that they would realise what you are doing, done it on many occasions and no one has said anything (save a friend who missed the injection but pointed out the river of blood that was dripping out my arm (I hadn't noticed) afterwards! - that normally only happens when I have a white t-shirt on :))

13. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I use the stomach and lift my vest and unbutton my shirt. I do it at the table and no one notices

14. Diddly

Diddly Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I just get on with it, my belly has been out all over the place! Only ever had one comment in a busy pub and by the time I'd finished with them they wished they hadn't. !!

15. pipwizard

pipwizard · Well-Known Member

Know what the restaurants let mothers breast feed so why not let us jab our meds in think the government needs to sort this out

16. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

I don't think restaurants mind to be honest. Some people just like to be discreet.

17. caretaker

caretaker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use to use my legs but injecting through trousers brunt the needle and i have had needles break and there somewhere in my legs no dout airport customs will find them one day.and if this happens when your out its hard to take off your trousers in a pub and say i'm looking for something? now t use my stomach it takes a bit of getting use too. but most people have plenty of room to choose from .( NOT me )

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook