Injection sites?

Goma5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There have been a few mentions of injection sites lately, and it's made me re-evaluate.

I've only received advice (1 year in) to inject into abdomen, but would like to start to rotate as it seems like a good idea. Happy to use thigh etc.. but i don't have a lot of fat on my thigh (i do cycle quite a bit) so am worried i'd just be going into muscle.

I've seen mentions of putting Lantus into the thigh and Novorapid into abdomen, does that get around the absorption speed issue?

Any tips for which bit of the thigh etc..? Healthline.com suggests anywhere 4 inches from the top or bottom, but that's bang into the muscle for me.

confused!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi goma5 i use buttocks for basal insulin ,and thighs for bolus as i have absobtion issues on stomach i havent got much fat on my thighs and tend to inject down the sides rather than the front this works for me :)

Reactions: Juicyj

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
The recommendation is the outer upper thigh but this area bleeds too much for me, so I use the back of my thighs (but am likely to have more body fat than you.) My buttock to my outer lower back is my best site.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Goma5 I used to inject before the pump and would do the same as Karen so basal for bum and bolus for tum - it helps to try different areas but I always followed the rule of pinch an inch and if you can do that then more sites will become accessible, muscles can speed up absorption so best avoided.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I don’t have much fat on me to be honest, ( and I eat like a horse just lucky I guess) I use stomach and legs without any problem , I do rotate regularly , I’m on Bolus, Basel regime, I don’t put them into particular areas , just whatever grabs me at the time, as long as you can use particular areas I think the most important thing is to rotate sites if you’re unfortunate to only be a be able to use one site make sure u don’t use same spot continuously as that’s when poor absorption can be a larger problem

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The general advice is Rapid in the abdomen and Basal in the outer thigh but it's not critical. I have little body fat but with 4mm needles I find it easy to find somewhere to inject with very occasional bleeding.

Reactions: ianstead

Goma5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh Ok, i will try the inner thigh etc.. thanks for all the replies.