Insulin affecting natural insulin production

DavidMH

I have been type 2 on tablets etc for over 20 years, a recent illness seems to have overloaded my pancreas and I now have to use injections. I still have some insulin production and wondered if eventually my own insulin cells will cease to function due to injecting insulin making them more or less redundant?

many thanks

Dave

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi David, using insulin will not stop your pancreas from working in fact in many cases it has had the opposite effect in giving your pancreas a rest effectively and some people have managed to reduce or even stop insulin treatment altogether but that will depend on how much damage your pancreas has received from your recent illness and how much insulin resistance you have, it is these two things that will determine whether or not you can wean yourself off insulin or not.

If you are overweight it will be a massive help to you if you able to diet and reduce your weight, not an option if you already have a normal BMI.

Hope that helps and good luck :thumbup:

DavidMH

Thanks for that Sid, I did wonder as I had seen some conflicting answers, my weight is high by around 16 kg so ow doubt that will help if I lose that. The problem (for me) is as a guy with a big frame I think I will look ill if I lose that amount of weight!

But I have to give it a go, I

thanks again

Dave