Insulin Didn't Stay In

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all,

Just had an odd one and was wondering if anyone else has had the same.

Gave my usual breakfast jab, upper buttock, counted to 10 then I took the needle out. I then witnesses very suddenly a clear droplet emerge from the site. I gave it it a wipe and it was a good amount of liquid there. However I couldn't tell how much actually went in so I ate cautiously.

My hunch was right, I have had some, but there is no telling how much, but I am currently sitting higher than I'd like 80 mins after eating. O well, bit naughty but I have just jabbed again to take it down.

All under control but just wondering how many other have experienced this, and possibly why to avoid in future.

Cheers.

Reactions: 2 people

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I always got a leakage of insulin after an injection when I was on MDI, but that, along with the fact that when I looked at a pile of chips, or cereal etc and I guestimated the carb content, I accepted that my life was definitely not based on an exact science. Therefore, just as I never knew exactly how many carbs I'd eaten, neither did I know exactly how much insulin I'd just injected.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh ok so not just me :)

This is one of my rare meals that I completely weigh out as I add all the ingredients while the jar is on scales. Its overnight oats if anyone is interested, takes 5 mins to make before bed and no heat up when I am in work. If you use jumbo oats or steelhead oats they break down a lot slower vs the more processed instant variety.

I don't think I have witnessed the leak in that volume before so I will just keep and eye out.

Cheers :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's happened to me before on MDI - insulin leaking out, and, once a stream of insulin shooting out after I took the needle out!

I don't know if it's wholly avoidable, but I used to inject slowly, count to ten and then remove the needle.

I never took extra insulin. I tested and assessed if that was necessary because I didn't want to run the risk of a hypo.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
This can happen but I never felt it went above 1 unit. Too many really but it isn't the whole load. It is a learned lesson really. Hold it in until it stops leaking.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@endocrinegremlin There was a good amount of liquid, maybe a unit lost like you said but as I was only doing 3 it was a good percentage. Just going to keep an eye out, it was my usual technique so I will put it down to a one off.

:) thanks

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Occasionally I have a small leak or a big jet. It happens and hopefully it's not a large part of the injection.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
yeah............ that used to happen to me from time to time..........a lot of swearing and extra testing ( and why do GP's wonder how come we test more than we are supposed to -- LOL )

I would often leave the pen in for 20 seconds bu still sometimes a bubble appeared on the surface gggrrrrrrr !!:mad:

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was having same problem and spoke to my diabetic nurse she was really helpful gave me some sample packs of

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry posted half complete! Sample packs of pen needles found BD ultra fine solved problem and have used ever since might be worth trying a few different ones and seeing if any suit.