Insulin injection sites. Absorbtion rates

MarathonMan81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I've read in several places that insulin is absorbed fastest in the stomach, then more slowly in the arms and thighs and slowest in the buttocks

But does anyone know by how much? Ie. Is insulin absorbed 15 minutes more slowly in the buttocks than compared to the stomach?

I'm just trying to get some figures on the issue if possible :mrgreen:

As sometimes i think stomach injected insulin acts too quick for me when i'm eating :sick:

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have this issue at times as well and will vary the timing of my novorapid dose for certain foods rather than the injection site. Have you read think like a pancreas? It explains quite well what I was doing instinctively based on what I know of GI.

In particular I find things like porridge made with whole oats, bean stew, lentil chilli etc all need the novorapid after I've eaten or I get a big dip after the meal.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
You can't measure the time difference. It depends on how much you use the particular injection site. For example, the thighs are relatively slow generally. However, if you are exercising thighs or cycling or similar, the insulin take up rate will be much quicker. We're all different.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App