Type 1 Insulin OD

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Random question.

What is the lethal dose of fast acting insulin?

Also what would be the process till death is certain?

Am asking out of pure curiosity.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
that would obviously be different for everybody........

the process would likely be losing consciousnesses as the brain has no fuel, then organ failure as the brain fails....

quite morbid topic.....:spitoutdummy:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
As an insulin user I’ve never questioned this and tbh I don’t think it’s one I do want to think about, but I do need to check as to why your curious about this @Razzamuffin ?

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been a fair times ive overcompensated with insulin as I havnt worked out carb to insulin ratio and that 1 unit of insulin per 10g of carbs makes no sense what so ever. Compared to whats written on the packaging of foods and what not

Some days i require more insulin other days i require less even if it's the same foods eaten, there is no stability with my sugar levels.

Lately low moods have been the cause of my blood sugar levels dropping to the point am having a hypo nearly Everyday.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been a fair times ive overcompensated with insulin as I havnt worked out carb to insulin ratio and that 1 unit of insulin per 10g of carbs makes no sense what so ever. Compared to whats written on the packaging of foods and what not

Some days i require more insulin other days i require less even if it's the same foods eaten, there is no stability with my sugar levels.

Lately low moods have been the cause of my blood sugar levels dropping to the point am having a hypo nearly Everyday.

Hi,

If I remember correctly. You are quite recently diagnosed? The "honeymoon" period as the pancreas plays its trick before finally giving up, might not be giving you an even break regarding confidence in knowing the dosage.

Is there a pattern to when in the day these hypos mostly occur?

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, just as long as you're not trying to emulate this guy (did an internet search to calculate dose required to murder wife)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-38258263

Seriously, many of us T1s have overdosed on insulin by accidentally injecting short acting insulin instead of our long acting basal dose. It leads to a scary drop in blood sugar and much panicking and scoffing of sugary food.

In practice, most people get rescued from night time hypos by their livers (or by an ambulance when their panicked partner watches them appear to have an epileptic fit in bed). If your blood sugar goes low then your liver will pump out sugar, so you'd have to be pretty unlucky to actually kill yourself. (I'm not saying it never happens, but it's pretty rare).

But hypos are the thing I hate most about T1. And in the honeymoon period, it's much harder to avoid them. It will get easier.

Reactions: therower

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Occurring on a daily basis, no particular pattern, probably from cutting out bread entirely lol
Hi,

If I remember correctly. You are quite recently diagnosed? The "honeymoon" period as the pancreas plays its trick before finally giving up, might not be giving you an even break regarding confidence in knowing the dosage.

Is there a pattern to when in the day these hypos mostly occur?

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
no ones rescuing me unfortunately lmao
Well, just as long as you're not trying to emulate this guy (did an internet search to calculate dose required to murder wife)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-38258263

Seriously, many of us T1s have overdosed on insulin by accidentally injecting short acting insulin instead of our long acting basal dose. It leads to a scary drop in blood sugar and much panicking and scoffing of sugary food.

In practice, most people get rescued from night time hypos by their livers (or by an ambulance when their panicked partner watches them appear to have an epileptic fit in bed). If your blood sugar goes low then your liver will pump out sugar, so you'd have to be pretty unlucky to actually kill yourself. (I'm not saying it never happens, but it's pretty rare).

But hypos are the thing I hate most about T1. And in the honeymoon period, it's much harder to avoid them. It will get easier.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Razzamuffin I hate hypos that’s the downside to having type 1, I can live with the daily grind fine but hypos are not just unpleasant they can be crippling, but they do happen for a reason and it’s not just too much insulin it can be exercise or illness, stress as well.

Please speak to your nurse as soon as you can and get your ratios checked, record your results, insulin taken and carbs eaten and times, it’s important they look for patterns but have information - in time it will become intuitive for you to work this out.

Also speak to them about the libre and explain how your feeling, hopefully you can get this on prescription, also keep chatting to us here, we can help support you when your feeling down, we all get it.