Insulin Pump In Flight

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey All,

So I've been on the pump (Medtronic 640G) for around 6 weeks now. All going well. I was put on the pump only a month after my diagnosis so I can try and get the best control possible for my job and the fact I have to hold a commercial pilots medical.

I have 3 more weeks of blood sugar readings to go before sending all my data off to the Civil Aviation Authority to get back my medical. Can't wait!

I was doing some reading on here and google regarding insulin pumps in flight. Due to pressure changes in the climb and descent, I've read that the air bubbles forming can push some insulin into your body, uncommanded from the pump. Once you're in the descent, the reverse can happen and you get a lack of insulin. We are talking small amounts of less than 1 unit but suppose it could have an effect.

It was a test that they carried out and only a small number of people have apparently had effects of the air bubbles.

Do most people just fly happily with their pump connected during the entire flight?

Reactions: 3 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't disconnect my pump at all. In fact, I often go higher than usual on the plane (stress? early starts? lack of exercise?) so I often need to put a temp basal on.

My current pump is an Animas Vibe but I didn't disconnect with my previous pump either. I've never had a problem with bubbles.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @ScottyD I have never disconnected my pump either, and like @azure am on the vibe. One thing that I guess would have significant impact is if there are any bubbles in the set, as this is what will expand. Not sure if the Medtronic is prefilled or DIY, but for the vibe, you can easily end up with bubbles if you're not careful and guess this could be a bit of a problem?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Scotty - just a thought but have you spoken to Medtronic direct about this ? I am sure they would have technical information on the pump that they could share with you ;)

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's awesome! Thanks for the replies.

It's just me over thinking things. My pump is self fill too but when I was starting out the help from my diabetic centre was absolutley brilliant and I can happily get rid of bubbles after their teaching! I'm known as 'the pilot' since I need loads of things done to get my medical back for flying!!

I read the medtronic manual and nothing said specifically about it - I'll dig out the contact details and ask though - good shout!

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I fly around 8 times a year and never turn off my pump or disconnect during landing or takeoff - I've never seen an issue.

Best wishes on your flying licence :)

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I never tke my pump off or disconnect when flying I'm on a 640g but I do have to turn my CGM off and put the pump in airplane mode

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been flying with a pump and CGM for 5 or so years every 1-2 months and often long haul. I never put my pump or handset into BT flight mode there is no need. I never disconnect during take off or landing. I do adjust my pump/handset time to 50% of the destination time zone on takeoff and the remaining 50% on landing.

Reactions: azure

Alternative Diabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes...want to find a cure !
I never remove my pod either or put it on hold..however I do have a bad Hypo every time I land !! Figured it was something to do with the air pressure , although I eat on my flight so in theory I should be Hi not Low !!!