Insulin side effects?

Squish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks,
I'm a carer for a man with type 2. He is currently taking 100 units of insulin (novo mix 30) twice a day which has eventually brought his bg down to between 6 & 10.
The problem is this: He has developed patches of a raised, red, itchy rash in numerous places on his body, he has aching legs, swollen ankles and is feeling short of breath constantly and is wheezy at night. He is very active, has a great balanced & varied diet so it's not due to poor lifestyle choices.
He does have other health issues but these problems have just occurred recently as his insulin intake has increased and we were wondering if it could be due to too much insulin?
Does anyone have any similar stories or have an idea if there is a connection?

Many thanks for reading, hopefully someone can help!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi folks,
I'm a carer for a man with type 2. He is currently taking 100 units of insulin (novo mix 30) twice a day which has eventually brought his bg down to between 6 & 10.
The problem is this: He has developed patches of a raised, red, itchy rash in numerous places on his body, he has aching legs, swollen ankles and is feeling short of breath constantly and is wheezy at night. He is very active, has a great balanced & varied diet so it's not due to poor lifestyle choices.
He does have other health issues but these problems have just occurred recently as his insulin intake has increased and we were wondering if it could be due to too much insulin?
Does anyone have any similar stories or have an idea if there is a connection?

Many thanks for reading, hopefully someone can help!

Hi @Squish ,

I think it unlikely that insulin is the root cause of the problems.

"For reasons that aren’t entirely clear, diabetes can affect the musculoskeletal system, which includes the tendons, ligaments, and joints, as well as bones and muscles. For example, more than half of people who have diabetes also have arthritis, a term that describes over 100 conditions that are caused by inflammation of the joints and connective tissues."
Read more here.....https://www.diabetesselfmanagement....ications-prevention/joint-pain-and-stiffness/

Diabetics can also suffer from skin problems,,,
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-skin-care.html

Probably not the answer(s) you were hoping for, but hope you find it helpful in some way.

Last edited:
Reactions: azure

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Those sound like very large insulin shots. Does the man have excess weight? If so it is important to get that down by having a low-carb diet. This will reduce insulin resistance and the need for large amounts of insulin. If there is excess weight and you are able to guide some reduction then the insulin shots will need to be reduced. Use the glucose meter for guidance. The reduced insulin shots may help reduce the inflammation?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd get that checked out by a doctor. It may be nothing to do with his diabetes.