Insulin with T2

Smiler69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning.

Since I’ve changed drs surgery I am experiencing better diabetic support. I admit that I buried my head for many years regarding my T2 diagnosis and am now trying to take control of my life.

They want to put me on insulin, but have agreed to hold off for two months. I am desperately trying to change my lifestyle.

Is it the normal course of things for ppl with T2, to eventually go onto insulin?
(I do understand that it’s my own fault at the moment due to my own stupidity)

Once on insulin, with a change of lifestyle, can you come off it?

I am petrified of taking insulin as I’m no good with numbers/ratios etc etc.

Also my blood tests have shown an elevated result in one of my liver tests and I’ve been called back to see a dr in a month. Would this be linked to my diabetes?

Thank you.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning.

Since I’ve changed drs surgery I am experiencing better diabetic support. I admit that I buried my head for many years regarding my T2 diagnosis and am now trying to take control of my life.

They want to put me on insulin, but have agreed to hold off for two months. I am desperately trying to change my lifestyle.

Is it the normal course of things for ppl with T2, to eventually go onto insulin?

Also my blood tests have shown an elevated result in one of my liver tests and I’ve been called back to see a dr in a month. Would this be linked to my diabetes?

Thank you.
Hi @Smiler69 ,

Most T2's have Metabolic Syndrome. That includes diabetes type 2, high cholesterol, high bloodpressure and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). So your testresults might indicate NAFLD, but with a lifestyle change (low carb, high fat), that too can be tackled. My liver had an abnormal stacking of fat, so bad that the doc didn't recognise it as fat, and assumed my whole liver was one big tumorous mass. (It took an ultrasound, CAT scan and MRI to decide I wasn't going to kick the bucket that soon) On LCHF my bloodsugars are under perfect control, and my liverfunction has returned to normal. Should an ultrasound be made, you'd probably still see some fat deposits, but none masquerading as tumors. So while the two go hand in hand, the solution to both does too. As for T2 being progressive to insulin, well... It doesn't have to be. I don't know whether you still put out loads of insulin though, or if your pancreas is exhausted by putting out too much for too long, so I can't guarantee you'll avoid insulin injections, but you certainly can try to get your HbA1c down through low carb eating in those 2 months you've bartered for. It's worth a try, as many here have done it with good results. I know it worked for me, anyway.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As @JoKalsbeek has said type 2 and NAFLD go hand in hand. When I was diagnosed Type 2 one of my liver tests was elevated. By eating low carbohydrate diet I’ve corrected both, plus I’ve lost a shed load of weight as a happy side effect.
If you take on the low carb diet I’m sure you’ll improve your situation and have a good chance of avoiding insulin.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning.

Thank you.
Have you ever had your endogenous insulin production level checked by your doctors?
That is what your body is producing naturally.
That would be the first thing I'd ask for before agreeing to insulin therapy. A c-peptide test would be one way or a fasting insulin test. If you are a classic T2 and are over producing your own insulin then adding extra to the mix wouldn't be a grea idea unless your blood sugars are through the roof.
You don't mention any HbA1c levels or blood sugar readings.. do you have that info available?

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
No fault, no stupidity and no blame! This is Day One, here is where you start learning about how diet, meds, stress, infection, aging and most importantly hormones affect you as an individual.

Well done to facing up to stuff, it is never too late. Oh, and welcome :).

Reactions: Rose22 and Smiler69

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Smiler69,
A progression to needing to inject Insulin is something that need not be normal. It is just that with the standard health care in the UK and other countries, it seems almost inevitable.
Most people on this forum are trying and succeeding in coming off any diabetes medication and generally getting their weight and Blood Glucose back into the healthy (non-diabetic) range.

This requires a lifestyle change, but it can be quite easy for many.
For people who are in a desperate hurry and are not taking diabetes medication there are what I call the real diets.:- The Newcastle Diet and the Keto diet.
For the longer term, or for people who don't do well on a calorie restricted diet, or a severely carb restricted diet, there is the Low Carb High Fat lifestyle. or Intermittent Fasting. I am doing the Low Carb High Fat lifestyle (though not an extreme version). I limit my Carbs to a maximum of 50 to 60grams per day. But it isn't a diet since I can eat all of the meat, fish, eggs, cream (but not milk), most cheeses (avoid any higher carb ones), butter, most nuts, leafy green vegetables and most 'above ground' vegetables as I like. I just have to avoid (or have very little) starchy vegetables or fruit (though berries are good with either cream of full fat yoghurt. I am probably eating more calories yet still losing weight (was just borderline overweight in the first place) and controlling my Blood Glucose.

Smiler69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you ever had your endogenous insulin production level checked by your doctors?
That is what your body is producing naturally.
That would be the first thing I'd ask for before agreeing to insulin therapy. A c-peptide test would be one way or a fasting insulin test. If you are a classic T2 and are over producing your own insulin then adding extra to the mix wouldn't be a grea idea unless your blood sugars are through the roof.
You don't mention any HbA1c levels or blood sugar readings.. do you have that info available?

I don’t know my HbA1c levels, they just said my last one was really bad.

About 3 weeks ago my blood levels were 20+ but at the moment I’ve got them down to 6-9 range. Keep hoping for a little lower but not managing it so far.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t know my HbA1c levels, they just said my last one was really bad.

About 3 weeks ago my blood levels were 20+ but at the moment I’ve got them down to 6-9 range. Keep hoping for a little lower but not managing it so far.

Smiler, our bodies like to work to routines, andthey do their best to hold a "steady ship", in terms of blood glucose readings. It manages this by releasing some of our body's store, if we go lower than usual. Where we have been running quite high, those stores will be quite generous, so it can take a little while to run them down.

If you've gone from 20+ to 6-9, it sounds like you're doing really well.

Were I in your shoes, I'd be sticking with it and letting my body sort itself ut for a short while.

In terms of going onto insulin, if you can keep your bloods in the range you describe now, I douobt your medical team will be itching to move you onto insulin.

In terms of non-insulin treatment for T2 diabetes? There are over 400 combintions of medications available to treat T2, without including insulin. Of course that's combinations, as opposed to single drugs. For those with T2, diet is usually a huge part of the maintainence puzzle.

Keep fighting the good fight. It looks like you could be winning.

Smiler69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow that's a significant reduction well done you!.
All with dietary changes and your usual medication?

Hi.
Yes. I’m trying my best to go low carb. Last appointment they increased my gliclazide.