Interesting blood sugar readings

vespa

Since I was diagnosed Type 1 on New Years Eve, I was brought in to Hospital with DKA and a reading of 26.5.

I initially was put on Novomix 18 morning and 16 evening and metformin, my readings have gone all over the shop in the days after diagnosis, gradually it started to bottom out so I gradually eased off on my injection reducing it in increment of 2 units a time, the reading have stabilised and I have noticed the metformin had more of an effect than the Insulin injection, eventually I am now down to 5 units morning and nothing evening, I have closely monitored my readings in that time and have noticed very little variation in my blood sugar readings. providing I am taking metformin the readings have remained stable. I also have lost a lot of weight as well as going to the gym, which all increases insulin sensitivity, being careful with what I eat with rare indulgences and treats, I have been to a couple of Chinese banquets where I did eat quite sensibly and had a couple of pints of beer, went home on each occasion to find my reading are around 6 to 7

I am beginning to suspect I am type 2 rather than type 1, eventually I will be reducing my injections even more to eventually nothing and closely observing my readings. maintaining a diet and fitness exercise all the time. if I do find that my readings haven't changed much, it could prove interesting, I am seeing a consultant in October where i will be discussing my observations along with a HBA1C of 40 or 6%

Did anybody else find this has happened to them as well ?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
May well be type 2 for which the metformin has worked, or, I r type 1 but as you have had some injected insulin it might have given your insulin producing cells a rest and allowed them to temporarily revive know as the honeymoon period. Also could be lada which basically is slew onset type 1. Plenty of info about honeymoon phase and lada on the forum, have a browse around.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

vespa

The honeymoon period has also crossed my mind, I was also mindful
of the possibility that high intake of insulin may cause my pancreas to stop
production because it no longer needs to work, it is my intention to
gently tweak and encourage my pancreas to produce insulin normally.

So far my blood sugar is responding, I am not complacent as I am closely
monitoring it.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
How was you diagnosed T1 ? I would also guess this is the "honeymoon phase". Taking on exercise will make a difference to your bloods, also, as Brett says, starting injections of insulin can give your pancreas a break. This period could last for months. I had similar readings/diagnosis as yourself. Eventually, your insulin dose will probably rise again. Enjoy it while you can ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

vespa

I suspect I was diagnosed too quickly, looking back there were signs
of high sugar symptoms, which only became acute during bout of cold where I
may have ODied on sugar and honey vit C culminating in DKA.

vespa

mo1905 said:
I meant what test ? GAD test or something else ?

Sorry I am not sure what GAD is ?

Another question I have been meaning to ask you, how long was your honeymoon period before you noticed your blood sugar started to rise and did it rise dramatically or gradually ?

vespa

Found this article mo1905 I see what you mean by GAD test, very interesting i didn't know you could measure insulin in the body and determine types with that, thanks for the heads up :D , to achieve that I would have to come off insulin completely to provide an accurate reading.

I hope the MODs doesn't mind me putting a link to a sister diabetic site about what I may be experiencing.

http://www.diabetesforum.com/introduce- ... nosed.html

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Vespa, I've been in honeymoon period about 6 months, still in it although levels starting to rise. I would ask for a GAD test if poss. So how was you initially diagnosed T1 or did your doc just guess ? I suppose it doesn't matter a great deal, most places refer to it as either insulin dependant diabetes or non insulin dependant. Good luck ! Interesting link BTW.

vespa

I suppose the Doc probably arrived at his diagnosis with the information available.

The fact I am reducing my dosage until eventually I am no longer using Insulin would be the moment of truth, the interesting thing is that type one is generally 10 % of those diagnosed and they are usually younger than 30, prior to diagnosis I was overweight 105 kgs which built up gradually over time due to the sedentary nature of my job, I went from an active job walking the street doing 6 miles a day in 4 hours to driving lorries which didn't help, I only did as the money was better.

Its a big kick up the ****, I am approaching this scientifically with as much knowledge I can soak up about this condition and hopefully I was misdiagnosed and is actually type 2 or maybe can mitigate it, currently I am now 89 kgs and aiming for going down more to 80 kgs, I have been working out in the gym and watching what I am eating, if it goes well, I may get my second chance and avoid full blown Diabetes, if it all works out and I am re diagnosed not type 1, I couldn't be more happier, I also realised the value of Diabetes research and is considering doing some fund raising for Diabetes UK to raise awareness for this condition.

Glad you enjoyed the link, it is a very interesting read and did does make you think.

vespa

I am now 85.5 Kgs and reduced my injections to 3 Units in morning and nothing in the evening with typical readings of between 5 to 7 at time it does leap up to 7.8,it once went up to 10.1 due to a free shot of Peach Schnapps while on holiday in Ibiza, did drink a few beers as well on top of a meal of course and judiciously injecting and taking Metformin.

I have been back in the UK 2 weeks and now injecting 3 units morning only, I will eventually be off insulin and monitoring my blood sugar levels, I am also doing stomach exercises in the morning and fitness training at the Gym, so it hopefully looking like I am getting a grip on the condition, I am aware it can be progressive so I will to put my best effort in putting of that day as long as possible.

I am going to meet my Dietician this month and my Consultant in October.