Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

oldgreyheron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, behind my heron facade, I’m Mike Eccles a 75 year old retired HR Consultant and Chemical Engineer. As you might guess I really enjoy bird watching and photography. I was given diabetes by the long term high dose steroids I had to take a decade ago when I suffered from polymyalgia rheumatica. I moved through challenging medication control to dietary control (I.e. eat normally!) until recently. Without realising it, my eating habits had drifted into less good ones, enjoying cake, biscuit, sweet desserts and the like. As a result my HBA1C rose unacceptably and I’m now trying to cope with Metformin, as well as tackling my diet! Ah, happy days. I look forward to learning from everyone here.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, behind my heron facade, I’m Mike Eccles a 75 year old retired HR Consultant and Chemical Engineer. As you might guess I really enjoy bird watching and photography. I was given diabetes by the long term high dose steroids I had to take a decade ago when I suffered from polymyalgia rheumatica. I moved through challenging medication control to dietary control (I.e. eat normally!) until recently. Without realising it, my eating habits had drifted into less good ones, enjoying cake, biscuit, sweet desserts and the like. As a result my HBA1C rose unacceptably and I’m now trying to cope with Metformin, as well as tackling my diet! Ah, happy days. I look forward to learning from everyone here.
Hi and welcome.
I watch a grumpy looking heron in one of my local parks, and enjoy watching birdlife , too. Not good with a camera, though.
Have a read around the forums. There is some info for new members below my signature. Ask questions. Members are generally very helpful.

AFIA-BM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My name is Kwaku Boateng-Manu.
I am 47 year old man from Ghana, West Africa. I live in Tema in the Greater Accra region of Ghana.
My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed of type 1 diabetes two weeks ago.
I was desperately looking for information on the internet when I came across the diabetes forum website.
I decided to register and join the forum to seek knowledge about my daughter's condition so could help her better.

thank you for giving the opportunity to join you.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My name is Kwaku Boateng-Manu.
I am 47 year old man from Ghana, West Africa. I live in Tema in the Greater Accra region of Ghana.
My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed of type 1 diabetes two weeks ago.
I was desperately looking for information on the internet when I came across the diabetes forum website.
I decided to register and join the forum to seek knowledge about my daughter's condition so could help her better.

thank you for giving the opportunity to join you.
Welcome to the forum @AFIA-BM .

Have a read around, and don't hesitate to start a thread with any questions you might have, it's quite a lot to take in at the beginning.
I think you'll like to read this thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/5-things-any-newly-diagnosed-type-1-should-know.175425/

Good luck!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there my name is Stuart Dixon. I'm 44 years of age. I have been diagnosed with prediabetes, and am determined to control my sugar levels in whatever I can.
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Don’t be afraid to start your own topic & ask away…

As you are pre-diabetic. There are plenty of members with your condition & also type 2 than could help you with your case.

Best wishes.

Reactions: Pipp and lovinglife

truckrwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Pat James
- How old are you? 54
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? USA
- Which city/area do you live in? Missouri
- Are you religious? Yes
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Loving, Fun(crazy), Laid back
- Do you have any pets? Too many, 3 dogs and 3 cats
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft, that might be changing to something totally different.
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Not the one.
- Do you get angry easily? Not always
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Only my ears are pierced
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
1) Disturbed 2) Metallica 3) Toby Keith 4) Trace Adkins 5) Toby Mac...Jamming out to Skillet!
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? It varies, for the time it's metal, for awhile it was Contemporary Christian, prior to that it was Contemporary Country.
- What is your favourite flag?
- Ever gone camping? Church camp
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? None
- Favourite city? Not really sure.
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
- List your five favourite films.
- Are you wealthy? Only in my dreams.
- Do you work? If so, as what?
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
- What do you like most about yourself? I'm a jack-of-all-trades.
- What do you like least about yourself? That I didn't take care of myself, my diabetes could have been avoided.

Attachments

• 17097859548818363116180047787119.jpg
    17097859548818363116180047787119.jpg
    771.4 KB · Views: 44

TheSCManiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
- What is your name? - David
- How old are you? - 23
- Are you male or female? - Male
- Which country are you from? - USA
- Which city/area do you live in? - KY
- Are you religious? - In a weird way, yes
- Pick three words to describe your personality. - No idea tbh, I'm random
- Do you have any pets? - My cat smokey
- Microsoft or Apple? - Microsoft
- Do you get angry easily? - Occasionally
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. - Linkin Park, DJ Tiesto, Disturbed, Nightwish, can't recall the others at the moment
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? - Rock or techno
- Ever gone camping? - Yes
- Are you wealthy? - Someday
- Do you work? If so, as what? - Full time warehouse work :(
Extra things: Type 1 Diabetic?, Diagnosed at 7, follow a strange management routine, A1C's between 5-6 for last couple years, mostly just here to learn and make friends with follow diabetics

Reactions: lovinglife

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
- What is your name? - David
- How old are you? - 23
- Which country are you from? - USA
- Which city/area do you live in? - KY
- Are you religious? - In a weird way, yes
- Pick three words to describe your personality. - No idea tbh, I'm random
- Do you have any pets? - My cat smokey
- Microsoft or Apple? - Microsoft
- Do you get angry easily? - Occasionally
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. - Linkin Park, DJ Tiesto, Disturbed, Nightwish, can't recall the others at the moment
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? - Rock or techno
- Are you wealthy? - Someday
- Do you work? If so, as what? - Full time warehouse work :(
Extra things: Type 1 Diabetic?, Diagnosed at 7, follow a strange management routine, A1C's between 5-6 for last couple years, mostly just here to learn and make friends with follow diabetics
Hi David,

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a decent tase in music & there’s nothing wrong with warehouse work. :cool:
I just hope your allowed to crank your taste out on the work’s stereo?

Feel free to ask whatever you wish.. Don’t be afraid to start your own topic.

Best wishes.

Jay.

truckrwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are Type1 diabetic, you living/eating/taking care of yourself differently would not have prevented Type1. Thankfully, we have insulin to cope with it
I understand that, like I stated I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2015. I was 45 then. After both my brother and mom passed away, 3 months apart back in 2018; the depression and anxiety were really bad, and I got to a point that I didn't care. Then 2021 is when I was first hospitalized with DKA-non-comatose. That got me back on the right path. Then life became, well life, just different stresses. Then early February is when I was hospitalized the second time for the same thing. That is when it became apparent that there was too much damage done to my pancreas, and I was diagnosed as type 1.

I honestly thought that I was eating alright, back in 2015, nope. I had an idea of the risk factors that I had to becoming a diabetic, lots of family members were diabetic.

Gotta love moden science.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi has anyone recovered from a diabetic foot ulcer? I have had my ulcer on my big toe for 7 months been on Antibiotics for most off that time,on a waiting list for vascular surgery what I would like to know is has anyone recovered fully after vascular surgery ? I would hate to think there is no way forward, please I would like to hear all opinions thank you garry

Zagar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Martin
- How old are you? 71
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which country are you from? UK
- Which city/area do you live in? Taunton
- Are you religious?
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Logical, inquisitive, explorative
- Do you have any pets? 1 dog, 3 cats, 1 horse
- Microsoft or Apple? Both
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? None
- Do you get angry easily? No
- Which countries have you visited? All Europe, Canada, Kenya, Saudi Arabia
- Favourite city? Dislike cities
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Don't watch TV
- Interests. Foraging, Nature Watching, Cooking, Local History, Sudoku, Crosswords
Have fun!

esussex97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys, finally joined the forum after reading for a long time. I've recently received my first CGM so hoping that will help to control spikes in levels!

- What is your name? - George
- How old are you? - 27
- Which country are you from? - UK
- Which city/area do you live in? - East Sussex
- Are you religious? - Not affiliated with any specific sect but not atheist either.
- Pick three words to describe your personality. - Goofy, Principled, Stoic
- Do you have any pets? - A small dog called Bert
- Microsoft or Apple? - Don't care.
- Do you get angry easily? - If my levels are high yes.
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. - Morgan Wallen, Hardy, After the Burial, Pouya, Hank Williams Jr
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? - Country or Metal
- Are you wealthy? - Comfortable
- Do you work? If so, as what? - Own my own coffee shop.
Extra things: Type 1 Diabetic, diagnosed at 2 years old back in 1999. I try not to let it interfere as much as possible but have changed my ways for the better in the last few years.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I am John, Male 67 years young and a type 2 of many years. Previously I have been able to control my diabetes through lifestyle choices, exercise, diet (Glucose Goddess and weight watchers) losing 2 stone in 3 months and bringing my readings into the pre-diabetes range.

Following years of success I've recently had a bit of a hiccup and lost control of my blood sugars with a typical reading of 20-25 mmol/L two hours after a meal. I started on Gliclazide last week to once again gain a level of control which is currently proving a little slower than I was lead to believe was typical.

I continue to follow my usual lifestyle of eating all things in moderation (I'm more controlled on the carbs, typically pasta and sourdough bread are key drivers for me) and exercising 5/6 days a week (long duration low intensity is best for me).

I'm keen to see how this goes now so I guess "watch this space!"

John

Valmai56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, my name is Val and I'm female aged 75 (soon to be 76!). I live in Wales.
I've recently been told that I have slipped over into the diabetic range (49). I suspected it was going up as I'd put on quite a bit of weight following an operation a few years ago.
My doctor and nurse practitioner have been very helpful and supportive since getting my blood results. They have agreed that I try diet and exercise (I'm very energetic and sporty anyway) for 6 months to see if my HBA1c comes down. I've managed to lose 7 pounds in the last 5 weeks and have started doing more exercise such as aqua aerobics twice a week. I also walk 5 miles a couple of days a week also. I can't do zumba anymore as I have arthritis in my hips and lower back. It's all down to food portion size for me I think as I'm not a sweet tooth! But I have stopped snacking crisps etc.
Anything else I should be doing? Is low carb best? I do love rice and pasta.
Thanks

Reactions: Pipp and Antje77

Ginia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name?
Virginia
- How old are you?
nearly 72
- Are you male or female?
Female
- Which country are you from?
UK
- Which city/area do you live in?
Newcastle
- Are you religious?
Not really more spiritual I think
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
kind, caring and at times funny
- Do you have any pets?
No but have always wanted a Westie.
- Microsoft or Apple?
Eeeeh not sure
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
Used to enjoy dancing not really a sport I know
- Do you get angry easily?
Sometimes, depends on the topic
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
No
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
Well let's see, do they have to be living? If not I was a fan of The Beatles, The Isley Brothers, The Glen Miller Band, Diana Ross and the Supremes and The Three Tenors

- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
Motown, Soul and Swing but also like Classical
- What is your favourite flag?
Never really thought about it
- Ever gone camping?
Do you know I can't remember
- Ever been in love?
I've been married twice so yes I think probably or maybe.
- Ever used fake tan?
Yes, it was all the rage when I was young
- Which countries have you visited?
Iceland, USA, Austria, Spain, France, Greece, Italy, Ireland and Scotland
- Favourite city?
Oooh too many to choose from but Dublin was fun
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
Midsommer Murders, Escape to the Country, Dragon's Den, The Chase and Master Chef
Waterloo Bridge, Gone with the Wind, The Notebook, Pride and Prejudice and Groundhog Day
- Are you wealthy?
I wish!
- Do you work? If so, as what?
I'm semi--retired reviewing officer for Foster Children (IRO)
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
English, Biology, Counselling, Social Science, Psychology and Social Work
- What do you like most about yourself?
I like feeding people and making sure they are never hungry!
- What do you like least about yourself?
I'm can be quick tempered and over sensitive
Have fun!

Gribley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good evening! i decided to join this group in the hope i’d find different ideas to manage my type 2. i take metformin slow release twice a day and glyxambi. i’m now 70 and was first diagnosed about 14 years ago. i enjoy swimming. i also take my bike out a couple of times a week. my eldest daughter makes sure i take regular walks! i have a quite large family and i have a new great-grandaughter! oh, my fasting blood glucose level 2 days ago was 6.2.

Reactions: MrsA2 and Antje77