The good days
The bad days

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

rachel88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm Rachel I'm 25, I live in a place called pontycymer in south wales. I've been diabetic for 23 and half years. I work in a Welsh primary school as a special needs support assistance, This is my first time on something like this.

Reactions: 2 people

kman

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Knowing others Won't learn from my mistakes, Being TERMINALLY ILL !
Hi I'm Rachel I'm 25, I live in a place called pontycymer in south wales. I've been diabetic for 23 and half years. I work in a Welsh primary school as a special needs support assistance, This is my first time on something like this.

Welcome Rachel, I hope this will be your first of many visits here, You will find the Good, the Bad and definitely the Ugly ( Me ), but you will find marvalous friends loads of rubbish, but lots and lots more great stuff, the best of advice, the most important information of your life, and a Community second to none !

Take everything under careful consideration, always consult your diabetic team, and i guess you have a lot to give experience wise having been Diabetic that long,

Most of all have FUN,

Warmest. Regards.

SirAndy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
ignorance
Hello everybody,

My name is Andrew. I was diagnosed in 2007 with Type 2 diabetes and it's been challenging to say the least.its taken me up till mid last year to kind of get my stride back.

Currently I'm on metformin,perindopril and sitigliptin.

It's been trial and error regarding what and how much to eat.

I shall desist for now.

Feel free to message me.

SteveWright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! My name is Steve. I have been a type 1 diabetic for almost 27 years (I'm 50 this year) & am only now discovering how little I know about it .I discovered this forum after agreeing to attend a DAFNE course, & after reading some of the posts on here I'm wondering if I have wasted a weeks holiday from work, I guess that I will begin finding out tomorrow!! My average BG hovers just below 8.0 & I am hoping that attending this course will help reduce it. I have worked shifts all my working life & at times found it hard to reconcile with my diabetes, however as you all know noone charges you any less for anything because you are a diabetic, & asinine advice about "getting a different job" has never been particularly helpful.Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Jessiebee1001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? jess
- How old are you? 18
- Are you male or female? female
- Which country are you from? england
- Which city/area do you live in? london
- Are you religious? nope
- Pick three words to describe your personality.bubbly, strong, immature
- Do you have any pets? yes
- Microsoft or Apple? apple
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? horse riding
- Do you get angry easily? sometimes depends
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? tattoo = hip and wrist peircing = belly and ears
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. there too many
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? everything
- What is your favourite flag? st lucian
- Ever gone camping? every year
- Ever been in love? too young
- Ever used fake tan? hell no
- Which countries have you visited? spain, st lucia, france, tunisia, spain, wales
- Favourite city? dont really care
- List your five favourite TV programmes. cartoons
- List your five favourite films. four brothers, any fast and furious, transformers,
- Are you wealthy?
- Do you work? If so, as what? i clean
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
- What do you like most about yourself? i don't take ****
- What do you like least about yourself? i can get stressed very quick over stupid things

Have fun!
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Are you male or female?
- Which country are you from?
- Which city/area do you live in?
- Are you religious?
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
- Do you get angry easily?
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
- What is your favourite flag?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Which countries have you visited?
- Favourite city?
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
- List your five favourite films.
- Are you wealthy?
- Do you work? If so, as what?
- What do you like most about yourself?
- What do you like least about yourself?

Have fun!

SteveWright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Steve
- How old are you? 49.....for a while longer
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which country are you from? England
- Which city/area do you live in? North-west
- Are you religious? nope
- Pick three words to describe your personality .unconfident (is that really a word?) honest reliable
- Do you have any pets? I am owned by 2 cats & keep tropical fish
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? I was awful at both cricket & football in my youth
- Do you get angry easily? no
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? yes.......5, 3 on my right arm, 2 on my left
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Foo Fighters UK Subs
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? just about any
- What is your favourite flag? Union flag
- Ever gone camping? do i look daft?......thats a "no"
- Ever been in love? been?.....no......I am
- Ever used fake tan? no
- Which countries have you visited? France, Spain, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Singapore, Australia
- Favourite city? Lancaster
- List your five favourite TV programmes.24, new tricks, Dr Who, open all hours, only fools & horses
- List your five favourite films.Aliens, Bladerunner, Matrix, the muppet movie ( I know that is only 4!)
- Are you wealthy? nope,,,,,,lend me a few quid?
- Do you work? If so, as what? process work

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello all, just joined the forum. My name is Andrew, I am 49 (well until my birthday when I am officially old and broken), live in South Hampshire and got diagnosed as type 2 one week before Christmas with an HBA1c of 91 mmol/mol following a random finger prick test at 24 by the doctor. The doctor started me on 1000mg of metformin. My weight was 17 st 9 lbs and I'm 5'7"! I wish I knew how I got here. Boy did that spoil my Christmas celebrations but decided this is the first day of my changed life so couldn't put it off until after.

I qualified from university over 25 years ago as a doctor, no not a quack a real doctor (mathematics) and I work as an IT Consultant. Oh wait that is how I got here: long hours in front of the computer from 8 til 8 at work with no exercise.

I have 4 dogs and now march around the forest whenever I am at home in the mornings with my wife, who has been wonderful. I have taken up much exercise, starting on the Wii Fit. This broke me in gently. I started with the ability to run on the spot for only about 2 minutes but can easily do an hour now. After lunch at work I go for a walk for about 40 minutes and then march up to the 4th floor of my office. In the evening after I eat I climb on my bike (on a training stand) and cycle for 30 mins and some time an hour. I have been wondering if I can keep this up and then I look at my lovely wife and realise I have to. It still hurts but I am sure it will get easier. Whilst exercising I watch films (normally SCiFi and Fantasy but also Thrillers/Action).

I do not use Microsoft or Apple. I am an individual and it is Gnu/Linux all the way for me with KDE4 my favourite window manager. My favourite past time is programming and playing World of Warcraft.

Before diagnoses I used to get annoyed easily, but since my life changes I am much calmer and relaxed with peoples' stupidity.

Since diagnoses (just 2 months) I have lost 2 st 10 lbs (yes I have hit under 15 st) and I started testing my bloods at the start of February some 7 times a day and my average is running at 5.6. I have been taken off of the metformin after 6 weeks. I was suffering from lactic acidosis (metformin + too much exercise) not something I would recommend for anyone as all of my veins were burning, micro cramps in my muscles and nerves generating pain all over my body. Now my muscles hurt only when I over do it, which at the moment is about 3 times a week, ever other day when I push so that I burn fat.

I am still learning about this disease even though I have done much research through the science and research papers. I have changed my diet: no more chocolate, doughnuts, but I am still having icecream, but only a scope once a week instead of a bowl full every night. Well I can't give up everything!

My long term goal is to live a healthy life for another 30 years at least. Not for me but for my darling wife who has been so supportive.

The last question to answer is, "am I rich?" Well not monetarily although I am not poor. I am getting poorer each month as I have already grown out of the first set of new cloths that I bought and as my target is to reach 12 st I may go through 2 new waldrobes! Oh well the charity shops will be happy.

Anyway that is me
Andrew

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh... Seems OK now.
I was newly diagnosed type 2 in November 2013. HbA1C was115 and two weeks later 112. Prescribed Metformin 3 x 500mg but sometimes I forget. Cholesterol was 5.3 (bad fat 3 and good fat 0.8) no statins yet. On second visit in December I asked for a meter and was given one, no problem. I'm a 56 year old female primary school teacher and at the beginning of September I weighed 20st 4lb. Dreadful, I know, and double what I was before becoming a teacher and a single parent in my 30s.

Really, I've posted mainly to say a big thank you to everyone who posts here. You've all helped me enormously.
I am still learning but I'm basically eating according to my meter. Scared to eat!!! Basically I'm watching the carbs.

I didn't want to post until I had the results of my new HbA1C test. My nurse just called me and she was very excited! OK, I don't understand some of the terms related to cholesterol but: down from 5.3 to 4.5. Bad fats were 3 (triglycerides?) And now 1.5. Good fats from 0.8 to 1.0+. LDL now 2.8 (don't understand what that means and didn't want to ask).
I'm now 16st 9lb. Was 19st 4lb at beginning of November. Seems to be dropping fast but I think it will slow in time.

The best result is that my BG reading is now 52!!! The nurse said normal is 53 or below. I've asked about stopping medication but agreed to review after next test in may. I have yet to fully unleash my exercise weapon so I'm hoping that will help ha ha.

I'm feeling elated at this moment. I cried when I was given my diagnosis because I felt I had done it to myself and that I was going to be a drain on the NHS.

Thank you everyone. I hope I can keep this up. :)

Sorry if I've rambled.

MarkP45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all my name is Mark I was diagnosed 10 years ago but new to the forum for various reasons.
Hopefully get chatting to some folk.
I am not overweight and never have been. Cant get my hba1c below 8 in old readings and new on every drug going including saxagiptin which had done nothing except give me headaches.
Still that's life.

lesroses

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tv with all repeats, slowing going off both Coronation Street, Emmerdale

- What is your name?
Lesley
- How old are you?
Ummm female although at times dont feel human
- Which city/area do you live in
Manchester
- Are you religious?
Neither
Nice chatty absent
- Do you have any pets?
Husband
- Microsoft or Apple?
Cricket |●
Yes
Gone know
Queen, Bridgebeat, The Deltones,The Classics, and many more pub Groups
- What would you say your favourite music genre is
Queen
None
- Ever gone camping?
Yes enjoyed getting wet
- Ever been in love?
Yes lvly hubby and understanding
- Ever used fake tan?
Yes loads of times until I turned orange eeekkk
Benidorm Australia
- Favourite city?
Sydney
Benidorm, David Attenbourough, Ancestry Documentarys, Time Team, Country File
James Bonds,
- Are you wealthy?
You must be joking in this day an age
- Do you work? If so, as what
Ex Nursing Aux/Ex Medical Recept
English, Maths, word/type 3 loads more
Not sure yet
Not sure yet
Just been diagnosed type two before Christmas, lvly pressie

Have fun!

- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Which city/area do you live in?
- Are you religious?
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Favourite city?
- Are you wealthy?
- Do you work? If so, as what?

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinkle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad manners
Spicy food
Hello everyone I have posted a bit but already but realised that may not quite be the forum etiquette and I should have said hello first! so ... :singing: hi everyone!!
- Victoria
- female
- London, England
- Are you religious? sometimes :angelic:
- Pick three words to describe your personality. it is me!
- Do you have any pets? no
- Do you get angry easily? no
but maybe a bit impatient - enough for now lol! xx

scarper

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
know-it-all's
deep breath .... Hi everybody!
I've just signed up to the club no-one wants to join in the hope that I can avoid becoming a full member ....
Prediabetes unearthed a few days ago at the routine health check for old biddies like me. I've purchased a basic Accuchek Aviva and am very pleased with my first ever test; could hardly feel the lancet on setting 2, and a nice low reading.
I'm doing this with good reason and memories of my lovely Mum (Type 1) who I lost in 1981 at the age of only 59.
Thank goodness the management of diabetes has improved by leaps and bounds since that time.
That's all for now.
All the best from Gill

Last edited by a moderator:

Montana

Dislikes
Anyone moody negative or judgemental
Hi peacetrain lovely to hear off you and I for one never thought you were rambling. It's good to get to know folk in this way. Keep posting!

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
ummm just tell us about yourself Nobbypan type diabetes meds sanity stage anything really :))
The rest falls into place more you are here