1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is a Vegetarian diet really healthier than Omnivore?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by Oldvatr, Dec 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

My thoughts are somewhat darker than one might assume.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I tried to bury one in the cat, but she gave it a wide berth. Thinking of sequestering the CO2 emissions by burying the fridge in the back garden. Nah that silly - easier to send it to landfill in the recycling. Don't have a compost heap ever since the rats moved in there otherwise that could be a good place for them - might act as an ant killer in the summer?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

Stopping the burning of fossil fuels is correct. The explanation is outside the boundaries of this thread or even forum. I did post a good video on the explanation some months back but it was deleted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Oldvatr

• Agree Agree x 1
    #64 Oldvatr, Jan 11, 2020 at 10:17 PM
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  5. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am sat here, in front of my woodburning stove, my only source of heat, hot water and cooking facilities. In a village with no gas.

I had a discount for installing my system, as it was sold as an environmentally friendly thing to do.

Our diesel car is on the drive. We bought it as we were told it was a better option than petrol and more environmentally friendly.

We can't afford to replace either. I can't afford all electric heating etc. Solar panels are not an option.

There are many in this position, having bought what was considered the environmental options a few years ago, and now look askance at for having them.

Same with food. The goalposts keep changing. The cynical side of me thinks it's due to a lot of money being made by forcing us to keep buying different things, which is not an environmentally friendly thing to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 1
  7. lucylocket61

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Listlad

You are correct also. What chance do we have...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Yes, Queensland has a lot of resources, all of that coal we have sitting there waiting to be mined and shipped off to India and China... :D

• Hug Hug x 1
  11. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Master
    Retired Moderator

Your wish is my command.

• Like Like x 1
  12. lucylocket61

Yeah, to make electricity. I often wonder where people think this vast increase in electricity is coming from.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Listlad

Watch out for what’s under Coober Pedy.

14. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

It's got to come from somewhere, burning wood for electricity generation is inefficient.

15. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Opal, and a lot of potch...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Listlad

None of my electricity supply is from fossil fuels.

17. Listlad

Beneath the opals...

18. Oldvatr

19. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not "all of us" on this forum! This is very country-specific, what you are talking about. Especially the parliament ref! :). I live in a country that made a very comprehensive and pretty darned successful re-creation of Scotland and England for immigrants from Britain here, by deforesting the native flora and fauna (rainforests) massively, with a much smaller human population and a benign climate - the upshot being absolutely masses of grass covered fields with masses of cows and sheep - and they aren't going anywhere any time soon, I promise! Definitely not by 2030!!!!

I feel for you, re this possibility, and really appreciate your writings on it re your country. (I won't go into what else I feel for Brits about, re, ah, current politico-economic dramas!) If what you are saying does come about - my guess is there will be a huge black market in meat and seafood and fish - that being a very basic natural part of our species' food. I think you have mentioned this too in past posts? Quite right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Oldvatr

Yes, it does seem your gov is trying to barter its catbon footprint away by borrowing heavily from the Paris Agreement carbon capture scheme. Looking at the 2050 target of zero emissions, it seems they will fall short by about 47% for biogenic methane and will have to take other measures as yet unspecified.
    http://www.legislation.govt.nz/bill/government/2019/0136/latest/LMS183848.html

Of course, if everybody else is cutting their meat imports to zero, then your market will shrink, and there will be a natural reduction in output accordingly. I do not think you will be immune from the fallout. especially if the carbon trading scheme is not able to absorb the levels of borrowing due to other players not meeting their targets either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook